Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 9:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Pain relief »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Pain relief
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pain relief  (Read 425 times)
Lawann

Email

Pain relief
« on: Mar 24th, 2002, 9:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What is the best drug that I can buy out of a store without a perscription for cluster headaches?
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2002, 9:39pm by Lawann » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Pain relief
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2002, 10:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Personally I find my pain so great that I can't find anything over the counter.  With a perscription percacet, vicadin, stadol only barely bring down the pain level mabe a couple of notches (10 to 8's).  Pain management is difficult with ch.  For many morphine will not even touch the pain.  You will probably have to do trial and error for yourself and try some perscription things as well.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
chjohn
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2002, 8:44pm »

I have found a hot shower, at the normal hot temperature I usualy take a shower, running the shower head back and forth across the affected side of my head, the best I can do.
Got to be at the start of the pain though. Over the counter meds, and prescription Hydrocodone, didn't help AT ALL.
I haven't tried Oxygen, and I may not be a candidate for Imitrex, but by reading the medication survey results available on the side bar of this site, they appear to be the most effective pain relievers (abortives) available to Cluster attack sufferers.
Merely,
John  
IP Logged

Ignorance is refreshing
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 2:02pm »

I've found no over-the-counter drug that has worked and I think I've tried them all.

Excedrin migraine will abort my migraines sometimes, but won't touch the clusters.

I've tried narcotics and they don't do anything... I just feel drugged, but still in pain.

Imitrex is the only drug that has ever worked for me.
Or... going to the hospital and getting a morphine drip.
Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 2:29pm »

Sometimes at the beginning of the my cycle I can take a BC Powder and it helps a little with the pain, but never makes it go away totally....as the cycle progresses NOTHING over the counter works.

There are some tricks of the trade that we all use that are individual...my ch's come on my rt side - I use my rt  inner elbow and place that over my eye and I am able to squeeze my head between my shoulder and my forearm....sounds complex, but sometimes it's just the right pressure for that "release" for a few seconds.... I know everyone knows how good that feels - for those few seconds......

Good luck to you Lawann.....

NotH20
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 7:57am »

Yeah, making a fist and pushing it into my eye socket helps me.  I do that and walk in a circle around my living room/dining room/kitchen.  

Other than oxygen and Imitrex that is my only tip.  Nothing else has helped me.  The hot shower/cold shower thing just makes me feel worse.

Mark
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 8:16am »

The only thing I can think of is an ice bag...you really need to find a good neuro or GP that UNDERSTANDS...that is half your battle there.  Feeling alone and in pain with no medical professional to understand me, seemed to only aggrevate my chs...Do you have a good Doctor? Unfortunately, the beast is too powerful and the OTC drugs don't stand a chance with him... Smiley
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 10:47am »

Without a script? A big bag of ice.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Dania

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 7:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

KissHi bro!

I know: MELATONIN!

I knew about it right here in ch.com's board a year ago . I 've taken it for eleven months and... it works! I am free pain since april 27th.
Really it works... for me.
I am not in remision because during all these months I've had some shadows at the beginning of the cycles but not pain.

Thanks ch.com and melatonin

Love Dania

(I am not very expert with this new board but I try)  

http://www.civilizacionweb.com/cluster

(spanish cluster site) Kiss
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 9:53pm »

Melatonin didn't do a thing for me... just made me really tired....

But... it is certainly worth a try... all of us are different and I know that some people don't even get relief from Imitrex (which is my salvation).

So... give it a try and see what happens.
Other things that I've heard are magnesium and riboflavin.... They didn't work for me, but worth trying because they are relatively cheap and easy.

Something that I had limited success with was Ginkgo Biloba, but it only worked a little for a short period of time.

Mark
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Strenuous Exercise
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 8:37am »

For some, a few minutes of strenuous exercise, jumping jacks, squats, bicycle, running, anything that will get you huffing and puffing real quick, followed by hyperventillating will abort the headache.

3 years ago I aborted over 60 attacks in a row by doing squats at the onset of an attack.

Last cluster it didn't work quite as well.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss