Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 9:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex inject. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex inject.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex inject.  (Read 319 times)
chuckles8569

Email

Imitrex inject.
« on: Mar 28th, 2002, 7:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

First time to post question so sorry about the goof ups.  Anyway, the question is:  Does anyone have a idea as to how long the I-trex inject 6mg is good after the exp. date?  I've got some that have past their date--thanks to the Great One I didn't have to use them.
Regards,
Chuckles
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

Re: Imitrex inject.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 9:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know for sure, but know I used an imitrex nasal spray that was 6 months over the expiration and it still worked with no ill effects.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Mattso

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 1:52am »

How about this one - I recently used 6 expired injections (1/2 dose at a time per the imimtrex tip), and they worked just as good as my new stuff. And get this - they expired in 1998, had ridden in the cargo hold on a dozen or so plane round trips, and sat in a hot car trunk more than once.
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 8:06am »

Maybe an email to glaxo would help.... asking them what happens when it expires?  Doesn't work or does something nasty!
Mark
IP Logged

NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 12:05pm »

Chuckles....I asked my pharmacist that exact ? one time....the response was not to use the injection after 6 months of the expiration date......

But to tell you the truth - if I was in enough pain - I'd surely try it if it was anywhere near that six month time frame!

Good luck to you....

NotH20
IP Logged
Mattso

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 4:52pm »

I don't eat or drink expired stuff either, but that's because most food becomes very bacterially contaminated over time. This is not a risk with these sterile synthetic medicines, right?

I'd love to hear from a biochemist on this subject, but It seems to me that the main risk with using expired imitrex is that it may have lost some potency, and therefore fail to abort the headache.  

Here's how I got around that risk:

First, establish with fresh imitrex that a 1/2 dose will abort your headache.

Then for the next headache, try a 1/2 dose of the expired imitrex. If it doesn't work, have a backup 1/2 dose of fresh imitrex on hand to use right away. The worst case scenario is that you'll end up taking a full dose instead of a 1/2 dose.
IP Logged
harley

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 7:11pm »

i have been using the shot for 8 years and have recently used some that were 2 years expired work ok for me. i say if i think it will work ill try it. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 8:19pm »

Of course we're probably not the best people to ask about taking risks.

I remember being on some type of ergotamine crap to keep the headaches away and my dr. said no imitrex while on it.   I had one of the worst headaches I've ever had - was running through the house screaming it was so bad....  My wife (at the time) called the Dr. and he said not to take the imitrex because it could kill me.

I said "oh well" and took it anyway!

When you're in enough pain, you'll do anything to stop it.

Mark
IP Logged

Jodi

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 9:08pm »

Asked my girlfriend who is in the medical field
Fuck the experation date she said its just the doctors and med companys to make more money.
Jodi
ps.  I have used expired injections and they worked just fine
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss