Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I don't like the sound of this »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   I don't like the sound of this
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I don't like the sound of this  (Read 431 times)
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I don't like the sound of this
« on: Mar 29th, 2002, 10:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not a wiz but this serotonin thing doesn't sound very good.

Copy and pasted from
http://www.achenet.org/news/older/

A syndrome of thunderclap headache, stroke and seizures occurring with the use of multiple serotonin-active drugs was described in a case report in the January 8 issue of Neurology. Two patients experienced the Call-Fleming syndrome (a sudden and severe headache, seizures, and other neurological symptoms) that was attributed to combined use of serotonin-active drugs. Drugs with serotonin-stimulating effects are common and include antidepressants, anti-migraine agents, decongestants, diet pills, amphetamines, St. John’s wort, and several illicit drugs, including Ecstasy, cocaine, and methamphetamine. Two of the patients described in the report developed stroke after combining serotonin-active drugs. The use of multiple or high-dose serotonin-active drugs is already known to cause "serotonin syndrome," which is characterized by confusion, restlessness, muscle spasm, shivering, tremor, and sweating. Patients taking anti-migraine and/or anti-depressant medications should ask their doctor's or pharmacist's advice before taking other serotonin medications (including over-the-counter cold and allergy remedies and the herbal St. John's wort).
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
chjohn
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: I don't like the sound of this
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 11:06pm »

Interesting. Especialy that decongestants are included in the list, with the sinus congestion that accompanies C.H. attacks, and my sinus problems, I take Sudephedrine pretty much daily. And if I understand correctly, C.H. itself upsets the Seratonin levels in us special folks. Maybe that's why I always feel cold when I have a C.H. attack, even a mild one? I put on a sweat shirt, and a wool cap. Even when I am able to go back to bed, I leave the wool cap on.
Sudephedrin is one of the primary ingredients in Meth Anphedamine you know?
John
IP Logged

Ignorance is refreshing
ave

Email

Decongestants
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2002, 6:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

John,

there is a great decongestant that does not mess with serotonin levels.  It is what old fachioned doctores used to prescribe before the pharmaceutical industry took over.

All you need is an eyedropper and a glass of lukewarm to warm water in which you  have stirred a small teaspoon of ordinary salt.

Just drip it in, head well back and let it do its work. You can treat earaches with this too - just tilt your head all the way to the afflicted side.

Maybe feeling cold has more to do with blood vessels constricting after the attack, but it would be better not to take meds anyway, right?

Good luck
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30th, 2002, 9:24am »

Feeling cold  ???

I thought it was just me!!!!  I never feel cold during the attack - usually become extremely hot and end up taking most of my clothes off - my insides seem to be on FIRE - but after the peak and it is eventually subsiding (usually right after the Imitrex starts working) I become SOOOOO cold that my partner usually brings me a blanket/quilt that was thrown in the clothes dryer for a while to keep me warm.  I get so cold that I am actually shaking & shivering.......I guess I'm glad to hear that someone else experiences that same sympton.  

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!  

NotH20
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Hot/Cold not surprising
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2002, 1:01pm »

Since it is likely that the hypothalamus is involved in cluster headaches.

The hypothalamus also controls body temperature.

Also, even after the attack is over, the vasso-constrictors we take to stop the attack are still working.  All of our blood vessels are constricted stopping the transfer of core heat to the extremities so we get cold.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30th, 2002, 9:58pm »

My Doctor told me about the seratonin issues with multiple drugs.  He had me go to a psychiatrist to balance my anti-depresant and my imitrex because he was concerned about the possibility of the things mentioned.

Psychiatrists supposedly know more about the use of psychotropic meds that affect seratonin.  The guy I went to said that it would be fine as long as all I was taking was an SSRI and imitrex.  He said DO NOT take Saint John's Wort and never take a super high dose of SSRI (paxil, prozac, zoloft, celexa).   The MAO inhibitor anti-depressants are the ones you really have to worry about.....

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss