Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shower till the hot water is gone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shower till the hot water is gone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shower till the hot water is gone?  (Read 886 times)
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

Shower till the hot water is gone?
« on: Oct 9th, 2002, 9:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I will stand in the shower when I have a HA under the hot water until it runs cold and a lot of times this helps me. Does it help you all?
PF for 16 hours now.
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Axis

Email

Re: Shower till the hot water is gone?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How ?
I mean how can you stand anything hot at all with a CH ?
From an Kip 8 to 10 I feel like I'm on fire.
Have you ever used ice ?
I'm just asking ok.
The cold is my friend hehe.
The colder the better, Some things that I've learned to do over the years is a tub of cold water with ice in it, But add the ice after you get in, Big bowl of ice that I lay the left side of my head in till numb,
Theres alway the ouch I have a CH hitting while away from the house so can I please have a cup of ice to breath hehe.
I cant tell you how times I've come down with a cold just before Dec because of the ice and water thing hehe but anything to get rid of my CH.
There is one other cold thing I do but some might think me a nut or freak so I'll hold that one out for now.
But if heat helps you then go for it and your so lucky Smiley
Rod.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 1:37pm »

Hi Rod,
yes, ice is a popular therapy here for sure.  My husband uses those gel packs that never really quite freeze and lays one on the back of his neck at onset.  It really helps him.  We keep 3 of them in the freezer at all times.  just in case.
In a pinch, you can also try a package of frozen corn or peas.  They are pliable enough to mold to the shape of your eye and cheek, so you can get it right on the site of the pain.
Hope this helps you.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 1:45pm »

hub tried standing in a hot shower until the hot water ran out but it didn't work.  He still smelled!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Starfire3
New Board Newbie

Get Thee Gone Destroyer of Dreams

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 3:38pm »

Shower steam helps open blocked nasal passage and hot water on shoulders relaxes muscles that cause extra pain, but heat on head often makes it worse.

Ice on neck is what chiropractor suggested. I thought he was crazy because the muscles are bunched, why do I want them to bunch more? Then I got hit with ha while on highway travel and ice was easier to find on the road than a shower. Color me super surprised when my ha broke within 10 min of applying ice to neck.

Here's a wierdness tho. Does anybody else get chills just before the ha breaks? (no, not from the ice Smiley) Doesn't happen all the time and is more common with the kip 8-9 than the lesser ha.

- Starfire

IP Logged
Axis

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 5:11pm »

LOL yes I get the chills, But mine come from the ice because I try to turn myself into a snow man  Grin
And soon as I feel the chill I know the CH is about to leave me.

Never did the hot shower because I get so hot to start with but I do have a heating pad that I may try on the  shoulders to see if it helps, And as far as the nasal passage I just blow and blow and blow hehe it hurts like hell to blow but then feels good for about 30 secs then its time to blow again, In some way I think by blowing my nose so hard ( because it does hurt to do it) it helps to get my mind off the CH for a few secs and every sec counts  Smiley
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 7:44pm »

It seems to be the steam affecting the nasal passages and the massage effect I find helpful. I cannot always do the shower thing though because sometimes I do chill, get real cold and if the HA is over a K-6 the water is too intense.  I dont think I have tried ice before, but I will. I will try just about anything that might offer some relief. I will have to stand by my ritiual, I bet I have ran 50,000 gallons of water over my neck and shoulders in the last 20 years, sometimes it helps, sometimes not.  
Thanks all,
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 7:50pm »

Star,
I have also noticed on the more severe HA chills, some severe, before the CH breaks. Hmmmmm......
PF for like 30 hours now, feel pretty good Smiley
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 10:50pm »

That was funny Bob. Still laughing. Smiley Wink Cheesy ;D  Roll Eyes Cool

I would think cooling your legs or feet would draw some circulation away from your head. That makes some sense to me. One guy stands barefoot on a cold floor. I read it in the guest book a year ago.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 3:51am »

Hot showers does not help me but HOT coffee does - about two large 7-11 cups - be careful, it might blister your lips because, atleast for me, I have to drink it very fast -I think that the pain from drinking this "nasty" and extremely hot coffe gives me a distraction - Once I go past K-7, the coffee usually goes flying somewhere, so I have to start drinking (coffee that is ;D) when I feel the CH is on its way. Most of the time, it helps me - probably imagination, but that's OK...

Marty
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 9:13am »

You know Marty, you're right.  
The showers might be imagination, I don't know.
 I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help, know what I mean?
48 hours PF, this dance might be over for a while. Smiley
Whew,
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
sonyjack
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 9:53pm »

Yes, I've been taking hot showers for 20 years.  At least they give me something to do.  They don't make it worse.  They don't (really) make it better, but I like to pretend.
Sonny
IP Logged
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 2:53am »

I have a feeling that most of us (all of us?) have a certain ritual that we follow religiously during an attack, atleast I do. So if it is drinking coffee or taking hot showers, sitting in a bathtub full of ice - it is my belief that it is not so much what you do, it is the mental support that you get from "your special ritual" - In my case, I "know" that most times, two large cups of coffee and I will start to feel better - pacing while drinking coffee, tears flowing Cry (usually my attacks lasts for 40 minutes) - therefore, the coffee becomes very important to me.  

The pain is bad and we all have to deal with it, but we also find personal ways to deal with it mentally - whatever you do, it is the right thing for you to do - keep doing it, because you will need that mental handle to grab onto.

Marty

By the way, if you try the spark-plug thing - post a picture of it...
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 10:15am »

Marty and others - here's a partial list of the ingredients in coffee. Your guess is as good as mine as to which one actually helps. I say partial list because the brewing process changes some of these into something else.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2001/1007419335.Ch.r.html

I have also seen a list of the chemicals they have found through GC mass spec of the vapor space above a cup of steaming coffee (although I can't find it right now), that listed about thirty different compounds. Half of them were known carcinogins, and listed as EHS (extremely hazardous substances) by the EPA.
Don't get me wrong, I love coffee. I drink about a pot a day.  Grin  And yes it helps me with the beast. Just not sure why. Is it the hot steam, or one of these compounds.? Wish someone would figure it out. It might lead to a new effective treament for CH.
PFDAN to you
domm
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 6:30pm »

Dear Mark:  Seriously - hot showers have been my life line.  I found that a hot shower can abort an attack in a couple of minutes if you can get in it fast enough.  Sadly, this does not always work.  During this past cycle the hot shower method failed me about 1/2 way through.  But still, even though it didn't work, I stood in that hot shower anyway.  Because, like marty says, it's that "special ritual" thing.  I need something to do and that seems to be it.

Hope you're still PF and wishing you all PFDAN always, Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13th, 2002, 4:14am »

What a diverse bunch we are. I love coffee. It is also one of the first things I STOP doing when an attack comes on. I will drink two pots a day when I am PF, none when dancing, yet when comparing symptoms I am textbook. I think some of this ritual is harboured because it is created in our own personal, private hell, alone, away, in the dark, and it is ours. Mine is. I had a Kip 4 today that lasted 40 minutes that I swear I knocked out with a shower, or maybe not! ;D
I did drink two cups of coffee this morning. Smiley
I love you folks.
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13th, 2002, 9:19pm »

Well, we are all different.  

When I get hit, I can't seem to cool down. I absolutely crave cold. Ice packs are my friend! If there is a cold body of water nearby, (pool, lake, ocean) it's an even better friend!  

Heat of any kind is my worst enemy during a CH.  I think it's because my BP spikes up in response to the adrenalin that comes from the knowledge of the pain that is about to arrive............

But, it's probably just me.

IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 13th, 2002, 9:30pm »

Nope,  
Ain't just you Marc,
Heat KILLS ME!!
I cannot take a warm bath whilst in cycle.  Definate trigger.  Also "after sex", trigger.
And my body's thermostat turns up sky high while under attack.
Cold is what I need.
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
oringkid

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 11:09am »

And just to round it all out, I use both!  At the beginning of an attack, or for shadows, a hot shower is soothing and seems to take the pain away for the time I am in it.  I will also use a heating pad on my face (pressing lightly towards the place between the eye and nose) at the very end of an attack.  Again soothing.  When the pain is becoming intense I put an icepack on the bottom of my feet.  Sometimes this works to abort an attack in 5 minutes.  If it doesn't then I get the other ice pack to rotate on head and neck.

Coffee?  Definitely!  Hot black coffee at the first sign will abort almost 40% of my HA's  Course, when you do this at first sign, it could be that it was only shadowing, but it is part of my ritual.

Sherry
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19th, 2002, 11:44am »

Yet again, I am going "WOW".  Sherry, me and you seem to have executed over and over the same habitual ritual!!!!

Hot vs. cold.....It continues ....Finally I told the doc about my dilema.   The ganglion lump in my neck/shoulder seems to crave HEAT to alleviate that awful muscular cramp, yet at the same time the heat applied to my facial areas of pain seems only to AGGRAVATE....Finally, one neuro suggested heat to the neck/shoulder while COLD to the head pain.   This is something i have applied over the years.  Also, youguys, while in the hot tub i put my feet unde the HOT water and somehow, it provides a small sense of comfort during the actual attack.  It is all simultaneous and what i refer to as "habitual ritual"  During particularly difficult attack I fill the tub up with COLD water (after all else has failed) and dunk a towel in that ice cold water and hang it over my head.  In conclusion, I can only tell ya that after years of this crap, I go into fast motion and do all these things in a frenzied effort to cut off the PAIN.   Still.............it persists.    I dunno.  WHATEVER WORKS!
IP Logged
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 22nd, 2002, 1:02pm »

I was just thinking....

It is a GOOD thing that that the non-CH'rs can't see us when we perform our rituals...

Someone might write one of those "cartoonish" and very funny books about us.

We sure are a special and "kind-of" proud bunch...
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 22nd, 2002, 6:31pm »

First thing I do when I wake with an attack, is go turn on the coffee pot.  Then it's on to the bathroom, where the I close the drain in the tub, and crank the shower as hot as I can bear it.  Then I sit in the tub, with my head under the shower, rocking back and forth.  When I've been waterlogged enough, I throw on a towel, and head to the kitchen to pour a big mug of coffee.  After I've had about 2-3 mugs, inbetween my pacing and rocking, my HA has calmed down enough for me to try and lay on the couch with my hair still wet.  Seems the combination of a very warm body, and cold wet hair is what finally helps to end my "session".   Then I fall asleep and wake up 2 hours later for the next bout. Roll Eyes  Of course, there are times when nothing ever seems to work, and all I'm thinking and moaning about is wanting to die, but hey, whatever takes the edge off, right? ;D
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss