Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zomig »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zomig
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zomig  (Read 394 times)
CanadaDean

Email

Zomig
« on: Oct 17th, 2002, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cool Hi folks. I'm new here.  Just wanted to let everyone know that for me (mild sufferer - but still debilitated when it hits) Zomig (vacular constrictor) appears to do the trick if taken at the first sign of the aura.  Most of the time it eliminates the headache all together, and sometimes it lessens the pain enough that is only barely noticeable.  Good Luck everyone.
Dean
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

Re: Zomig
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 2:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dean,

That's great that you have found an abortive that works for you!  Jonny swears by zomig too..... Others like BoobP are not as successful with it and have to rely on Cafergot....zomig just took too long to work for me... Smiley

good luck!  

Slammy    Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 3:21pm »

Slammy,

Zomig does work for me.  All of the triptans do - Zomig, Imitrex, Maxalt, Amerge, etc.  I was just getting so frustrated fighting with my insurance company and my stupid neuro that I found it better to quit the hassle and go back to cafergot.  It really works just as well as long as I have the O2 to go with it.

The cafergot takes a little longer to get going but the O2 holds the attack at bay for as long as it takes.  The good thing about cafergot is that once I take it, I'm good for the rest of the night.  Sleep like a baby with it.

The one hassle I've had with cafergot is the pharmacist not refilling the script because I was "taking too much" of it.  The trick , like with all our meds, was to get the doc to prescribe enough refills.  The cluster ended but I kept refilling.  I now have a nice stash in the medicine cabinet to start the next bout.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 3:32pm »

Yeah, I have a nice stash of Cafergot too.... Sorry, I was mistaken about you and the triptans... it's funny how they affect people differently.  For me, it seems the zomig takes longer to kick in than cafergot.   Cheesy

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 8:23pm »

I will have to agree with Bob & Slammy. A well stocked medicine chest makes me a better Clusterhead and I must stock up during off periods.
Samples, samples, samples. I hit my doctors up for samples.  
I use my HMO mail order service along with a letter from my Doctor's stating medical necessity for the quantities requested, and stock up. They allow a greater quantity from them through the mail than from a brick and mortar store.  Zomig, Maxalt, etc work well, especially for the lesser HA on the Kip scale, but for my pain dollar Imitrex STATdose is the best for me so far. Relief from a Kip 8 in less than 10 minutes. Cool.
O2 is on the wish list, I will advise as to my progress with this.
Later guys,
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 11:04pm »

I like zomig it is a wonderful drug but it takes to long to kick in.  The only other triptans that work for me are imitrix and axert.  The rest don't help at all.  I prefer the imitrix ns It is very fast to kick in for me.  As fast as an injection minus the needle.  Glad you found something that works for you.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19th, 2002, 5:05pm »

Zomig is the abortive of choice in our house... less side effects also... ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19th, 2002, 8:37pm »

"Zomig (vacular constrictor) appears to do the trick if taken at the first sign of the aura"  

- there is no aura in CH !
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24th, 2002, 3:10pm »

Dean - I too think that Zomig is great and works just as fast as the others.  I've not noticed a difference in the time to get pain free with Zomig, Maxalt or the Imitrex pills.  The only difference is that the 50mgs of Imitrex do not work - they need to be 100mgs.

Glad you found something that works for you    Smiley

NotH20
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24th, 2002, 5:42pm »

Tom,

Saw that also but gave him the benefit of the doubt.  Figured he must mean when that first tightness/strange feeling starts.  The one that makes you perk up and go, hmmmm, is it or isn't it.

I he's talkin' an actual visual aura, welllllll.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2002, 12:06pm »

I have been guilty of calling the tightness, funny feeling I get right prior to the start of my CH, for lack of knowledge of a better term,  an aura.  Using "aura" to define the sensations you feel just prior to the onslaught of the cluster headache can be misleading.  I have also heard the term "shadowing" used to describe these sensations.

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

oringkid

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25th, 2002, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks Tom, I was wondering about that too.  And that is the second person I have seen say something about an aura with CH.  

I get ocular migraines occasionally and that is the migraine aura without the headache.  The aura is an extremely weird visual disturbance.  CH does not have this.

Sherry
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss