Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Peppermint Oil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Peppermint Oil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Peppermint Oil  (Read 3637 times)
Matt30
New Board Newbie

sjw97350
Email

Peppermint Oil
« on: Nov 13th, 2002, 8:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned on this site or not and might sound odd but I tryed this a couple years ago and still use it (doesn't always work but always worth the try)
This was passed on to me from someone who also suffers,
You dabb a little bit of Peppermint oil on your finger and rub it on your temple.Seems to work best when you first feel a cluster coming .Hope it works for someone else too. I havn't had a series in over a year and got knocked out of bed 2 day's ago,,hopefully a quick series.
And the water treatments have worked somtimes too,,
using the injections I'm hungover all day
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: Peppermint Oil
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2002, 9:13am »

A cut and paste job:

Cephalgia
Göbel H, Schmidt G, Soyka D. Effect of peppermint and eucalyptus oil preparations on neurophysiological
and experimental algesimetric headache parameters. Cephalalgia 1994;14:228-34. Oslo. ISSN 0333-1024
The effects of peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil preparations on neurophysiological, psychological and
experimental algesimetric parameters were investigated in 32 healthy subjects in a double-blind,
placebo-controlled, randomized cross-over design. Four different test preparations were applied to large
areas of the forehead and temples using a small sponge and their effect was evaluated by comparing
baseline and treatment measure. The combination of peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil and ethanol increased
cognitive performance and had a muscle-relaxing and mentally relaxing effect, but had little influence on pain
sensitivity. A significant analgesic effect with a reduction in sensitivity to headache was produced by a
combination of peppermint oil and ethanol. The essential plant oil preparations often used in empiric
medicine can thus be shown by laboratory tests to exert significant effects on mechanisms associated with
the pathophysiology of headache. • Cantingent negative variation, eucalyptus oil, experimental headache,
exteroceptive suppression, mood states, peppermint oil
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2002, 7:59am »

I have had some success rubbing Tiger Balm on my temple at the onset of a CH episode. It provides relief from the headache when they are in the kip 1-3 range. As soon as I am a couple of weeks into the episode and the big ones start coming it is useless and only Imigran injection works.

I also tried the water treatment but included a detoxifying product, and it broke my last cluster episode in a few days. I now make a point of drinking my 2 litres of water every day to try and keep the kidneys and liver clean as I am pretty sure in my own mind that my CH is caused by toxin build up in the organs and when it attacks, the body is saying enough is enough and maybe the CH is natures way of trying to expel them? I am trying to eat more fruit and veg and drink more water these days to see if long term it has a positive  effect in keeping the damn CH away for good.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
ScorpionHand

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2002, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hows about ingestion? Recently I was baffled trying to understand why my shadows went away when I brushed my teeth.  Grin  
   Then I realized that the mint in the toothpaste was the good samaritan. So I went out and bought some peppermint candy. It really seems to be helping... I slept 8 1/2 hours and woke up refreshed today. At this point in my cycle, I should be in peek pain.  Cool
   -PFDAN
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss