Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Pethidine-anyone tried it? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Pethidine-anyone tried it?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pethidine-anyone tried it?  (Read 865 times)
WendyHowe

Email

Pethidine-anyone tried it?
« on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 2:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dear Anyone
MY GP in the UK appears to have prescribed something which I cannot find on any of the archive searches on UK or world websites.
She has given me Pethidine as an abortive. I haven't tried it yet as I don't think it is recognised at all as a treatment for CH and it is as far as I know a very powerful painkiller (it is a class A drug in the UK and she told me not to 'lose' them because dealers will sell them on the street!)
She refuses to let me try oxygen or any other abortive, and the preventatives and abortives I have currently do not work (Pizotifen and Zomig) but at least has referred me to a neurologist. Until I see him in two weeks time I still do not have an abortive that works unless I try this Pethidine that she has given me.

Advice please? Has anyone tried it? or shall I be a guinea pig and go for it in case it may work for others?

Wendy
IP Logged
Hound_Dogg

Email

Re: Pethidine-anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:23am »

Pethidine or Meperidine is Demerol in the US. First it's a Narcotic Pain Reliever. Most people have not had too much luck with Narcotic Pain relievers for CH. I for one take a narcotic as a last resort. (When I can't use anymore Imitrex for the day, or for when the Imitrex doesn't kill it completely.) I have had good luck with it, that way. However, I would not use meperidine...First, if used chronically it causes harmful metabolites to form in the body. Second, it is pretty much useless when taken orally as our digestive system kills most of the drug. It should be taken as a Deep intra-muscular injection.  

If your GP will only give this type of drug...I would find another GP.  

Hope this answers your question...

Dogg
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:26am by Hound_Dogg » IP Logged
WendyHowe

Email

Re: Pethidine-anyone tried it?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:48pm »

Thanks Dogg
Since I posted this I had decided that it was an insane thing to prescribe or take when she hasn't even given me any of the 'normal' drugs to try first.
I will not be touching them as I now know it is a very powerful opiate- I didn't know until reading your post that it is probably useless anyway. I had guessed as much since no-one else on this planet apart from my GP seems to prescribe it outside childbirth!
I am seeing a neurologist in a week and a half so I will hang tough until then if I can.

Thanks

Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss