Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 7:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can prednisone provide quick results? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   can prednisone provide quick results?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can prednisone provide quick results?  (Read 867 times)
Squale

Email

can prednisone provide quick results?
« on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 3:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been having more h/a's than normal lately.Serious shadows that bother me all day until 6PM(usual daily h/a).Sometimes I can ward the doozy 6 o'clocker off with excedrin but last week or so nothing,includind oxygen to abort seems to help.Called doc and he prescribed prednisone.I just wonder how long it takes to start helping? Very apprehensive about going this route but am getting really sick of head pain.Any suggestions?
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: can prednisone provide quick results?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 3:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For me, 60mg of pred stops my attacks right now.  I mean instantly.  No more headaches.  My problem is that when I taper back down around the 20-30mg a day, the attacks come back.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
ScorpionHand

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 4:41pm »

Prednisone is a steroid. It reduces swelling.
I had no luck with this drug, but in CH, it is used to try to break the cycle for episodic clusters.
Please be careful trying pharmaceuticals, from my personal experience, the drugs can cause you to become chronic.
Good Luck-
IP Logged
Kevin_D

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 6:38pm »

Just got a script for it myself.  I usually take it once or twice a year and it seems to help.  I say go for it.
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 6:51pm »

Squale,

I experienced results similar to what Bob P has stated, except that my attacks stay away until I am completely off the steroids.  Then everything starts up again full force.

Bob, my only experiences with 'roids comes from this last cycle.  Have you noticed if your cycles have lasted longer then normal when you've used them?

I also agree with ScorpionHand that overuse of meds can exacerbate our condition.  I know an older clusterhead that has serious joint problems now because of all the steroids he has taken over the years.

Peace,

-R
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 6:59pm »

I stared with Pred, it cut down the severity and number of occurances but didn't totally wipe them out. I then switched to Verapamil and have been PF since.

Chris L
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 9:48am »

Rick,

Last cluster was the only time I really used the pred.  I went through 4 dosepaks.  Each one at least gave a few days and nights painfree.

To answer your question, last cluster was also my longest ever, 15 weeks.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Squale

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:24am »

I am going to postpone my script for prednisone.I am convinced that my high blood pressure med is making my situation much worse.I can somehow deal with 1 cluster headache a day but lately its all day shadows with a killer h/a at 6PM.I am stopping lisinopril until monday when i can get to doctor.I did not take lisinopril today and so far have not had any head pain whatsoever.I know it just may be a fluke but I am confident this will help.
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 2:00pm »

Squale,

I also have high Blood Pressure. Get thyself on Verapamil............it will kill two birds with one stone so to speak as it is a med for CH's and for high BP!!

Chris L
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 3:45pm »

This drug (I am told) reduces the inflammation around certain body elements the main one we are interested in is the blood vessels surrounding the hypothalamus gland, ask Euli how to spell it. In severe chronic circumstances I would say use it, but only short term. The side effects are strong and long lasting. Several of us have good success, not complete but good with lithium, verapamil, O2 and Imitrex Inj. The little bastard never really leaves use alone to play.
Lee

IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26th, 2002, 3:26pm »

Squale,

I have the same reaction to Pred as Bob does.  It stops my ch's within the 1st 24 hours.  But when I taper down to 20 mgs, the beast returns for a visit.

Some people on the board refer to this medication as a "Prednisone Holiday" - meaning that it just gives you a short period of time to be ch free.  Sometimes we do anything to be out of pain.

I always use Pred when I'm in cycle.  I have no personal knowledge of this medicine making anyone go from episodic to chronic.

Good luck -
NotH20
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 26th, 2002, 5:43pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2002, 3:45pm, Bob P wrote:
For me, 60mg of pred stops my attacks right now.  I mean instantly.  No more headaches.  My problem is that when I taper back down around the 20-30mg a day, the attacks come back.

Me too......

IP Logged

Click The Flag
Ueli

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 26th, 2002, 7:53pm »

on Nov 15th, 2002, 2:12am, ScorpionHand wrote:
Been episodic for 14 years. started at age 15 and visited me about 3 times a year in about a 4 week duration. Now I go about 2 year remission in 8 week duration.

on Nov 22nd, 2002, 4:41pm, ScorpionHand wrote:
Please be careful trying pharmaceuticals, from my personal experience, the drugs can cause you to become chronic.

Huh? How go these 2 posts together? Is that personal experience from a previous life? Must be, since your 8 weeks bouts are a long shot from chronic (by definition: not more the 2 weeks remission in one year).

Please do not muddle the issue and frighten people by spreading unsubstantiated rumors and hearsay's is if they were facts.

I am on day 1394 of my current bout, but I have never taken prednisone.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Squale

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28th, 2002, 8:04am »

Sure did frighten me! I shutter at the thought of chronic cluster headaches.I chickened out of getting prednisone script filled. It seems my added pain is being caused by a high blood pressure med called lisinopril(maybe Im allergic to it).
IP Logged
ScorpionHand

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28th, 2002, 11:36pm »

Sorry about the chronic comment. Yes I average out my bouts and remmisions. The reason I said that was because of a bout I had few years ago - don't know the exact year - that I started trying the pills and the cycle went on for about 5 months. ( I don't document my clusters in a diary or anything like that, so +/- a couple of weeks ) Finally after my heart almost stopped from Zomig (which sucked cause it took the pain away) I decided to stop taking all meds and my cycle ended about two weeks later. The entire cycle was rebounds and bad side effects. Probably just a coincidence, but caused me to hate meds.  
   So to clarify - from my experience they can extend a cycle. It is my opinion that if I had continued with medicine I would have been chronic, but I'm not gonna test it.
    I'm done. No more posts from me.  
Prednisone might be the answer for some. You won't know till ya try...
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2002, 12:04am by ScorpionHand » IP Logged
Squale

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29th, 2002, 6:23am »

Hey scorpianhand,I also found that some medicines cause rebound h/a's,like otc excedrin and possibly my latest blood pressure med.I was not blaming you for my fright of prednisone,I did some research and figured pred. is just a little extreme for me(guess Im a lucky clusterhead with only moderate symptoms).I dont log my cycles either,but think I just may start using the kip scale for reference(very bad memory).Anyways,thanks and keep posting your opinions. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss