Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « After 4 days Verapamil coctail - doc wants Lithium »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   After 4 days Verapamil coctail - doc wants Lithium
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: After 4 days Verapamil coctail - doc wants Lithium  (Read 459 times)
Melissa11-8
New Board Newbie

Email

After 4 days Verapamil coctail - doc wants Lithium
« on: Nov 25th, 2002, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

4 days on Verapamil 80 mg 4x day with  

A a total of 12 days on Topamax (Upining it now to 50 mg in am and 25 in the pm) and 60 mg prednisone - I placed a call to the Dr today to see about getting an IV push for a sterioid I got in the hospital that worked wonders and after only 4 days on Verapamil he is really pushing Lithium. This terrifies me.

Ive read the treatments the studies etc using Lithium. Is it really all that?  I see the side effects. As a woman the thought of Hyperthyroidism is frightning. My dr. is out of town until a week from tomorrow so he agreed to give me until next Tues (12/3) appointment to see how Verapamil is doing. I have seen some changes, not for either the better or the worse - just change

Any thoughts on Lithium?
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: After 4 days Verapamil coctail - doc wants Lit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 6:42pm »

Melissa - The Vera takes 5 to 7 days to kick in. Most docs will script prednisone for about 7 days of tapering off doses, then when you're done with the pred, the Verap is there kicking the beasts butt.
Many have found relief with the combination of Vera and Lithium. I haven't had to resort to the Lithium because the Vera worked all by itself.
On Page 5 of this board, about half way down is a post and replys to "Lithium???". Also. click on the search button upper right and type in *lithium* and you'll get about 25 pages of hits from the archives.
Good luck
domm
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 8:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Been using lihtobid sulfate for about 12 years between 600/900 mg day. I would rather not use it as it seems to make me tired and have some mental sides, but I would be having little white worms eating me from the inside out by now otherwise.

Like they say, name your poison.  Smiley

Lee

IP Logged
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2002, 9:50am »

Melissa11-8,
  The only thing that keeps the beast somewhat under control is the combo.of "lithium and verap. " One or the other does not do squat for me,or any other prev.meds.
  As long as you have your blood work done you should be fine( for the lithium ). They had to take me off of the lithium appr.9-months ago ( low levels in blood ) and life was hell ( i was getting hit 1-7 times a day )appr.6- weeks ago they put me back on the lithium,and life is great ( i still get hit,on the avg. of once a day ). I am chronic and if it was not for the comb.of "lithium and verapamil "my life would be pure hell.  Good luck and PFDAN to you.  
            Lenny
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2002, 10:28am »

Hi Melissa,

I've never had a bad reaction to lithium, and it has helped me on several cycles in the past.  It doesn't work every year, even when combined with verapamil, but I prefer it to some other choices because it doesn't seem to mess with me until I get up above 1200 mg/day (then I get some tremors).

I learned here on the CH board about verapamil dosing too -- I have always been prescribed 240 mg x 2 per day, but I saw that many sufferers had success at about twice that dose.  My doc said a total of 960 mg/day isn't harmful and he told me to try it out.  After a week on the higher dose I seem to be getting back into control.

Best of luck, we'll be thinking of ya!

Pain Free Days,

Old Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss