Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How fast does oxygen normally work?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   How fast does oxygen normally work??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How fast does oxygen normally work??  (Read 1812 times)
jamie_h
New Board Newbie

Whad up!!

How fast does oxygen normally work??
« on: Dec 10th, 2002, 4:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just tried oxygen therapy for the first time today. (twice)  I did 15 minutes at 8L and it did not really have a positive effect. Angry

I know that oxygen does not work for everyone, I guess I sort of had my hopes set very high for this, and perhaps it is still too early to tell.  Undecided

Just wondering for those that have success with oxygen, did it work the first time you tried it, or does it vary in its effectiveness. Cheesy
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: How fast does oxygen normally work??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 7:03pm »

Jamie - when I use it, it normally takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure you have a non rebreather mask and crank the regulator up to 10 - 15 lpm. Try to get nothing but pure O2 into your lungs as fast as you can. The more you dilute the O2, the less effective it is going to be.
There's an "oxygen Primer" posted on the general board about a month ago. Try a seach for it (*oxygen primer*) that has many of the details of proper O2 use.
Good luck
domm
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 10:48am »

Jamie,

In addition to it not working for some and working for others......sometimes within the same person you get the same result.  Back in the early 80's, O2 worked great for me.....in the 90's it didn't do so well.  Now this decade it worked much better for me during my last cycle.  

I agree with domm - make sure you have the right equipment and push the O2 up a couple of lpm's.  That just might do the trick.

Good luck to you,
NotH20
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 10:50am »

Oops Jamie I guess I didn't answer your question.  Usually for me I see great results within the first 15 minutes.

NotH20
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 7:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Jamie,
An important point of the oxygen treatment is to start it as soon as possible, at the very first sign of an attack. The earlier you start the better the results.  

BTW, I prefer the term "oxygen treatment" over "oxygen therapy".  The word therapy implies a long term application, aimed at an long term improvement of a condition, and therefore it does not matter if you do it an hour earlier or later.  The way we use oxygen is as a one time abortive of a CH attack, it has no influence whatsoever on future attacks. The timing is therefore of utmost importance, see above.  
After all, you would not call the stitching of a large cut a "therapy", it is a one time treatment too.  Wink

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 7:19pm »

...as usual, yer right on the money Ueli...I'll be tracking down my o2 *nuggets* and making the appropriate changes......

o2 is an abortive--a one time deal...a *treatment*..... lithium/prednisone/verapamil/et al. are therapies.... I hope they work for allayez that can stand the side effects...... I elect to take my shrooms when the MOFO wants to dance every night.... and reach for the o2 when I need to stop bonkin' my head on the wall......PF ;D
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 9:53am »

Hi Jamie!

I usually get results before the 10-minute mark hits, but sometimes it goes to 14 or 15 minutes.  If I haven't succeeded by then, I get out an Imitrex nasal spray (10-minute max, always works, but $40 a pop).

I have noticed that the nocturnal wake-up-call headaches seem to respond lots faster to oxygen.  Sometimes as quick as 3 to 4 minutes if I get right after it.

I use a non-rebreather mask, and adjust the volume to keep the little bag inflated during my deepest breath, so I maximize the number of treatments I get from a bottle.  Usually that's in the 8 to 9 liter per minute range, but I find that a really severe attack makes me breathe deeper and I'll wind up at 10 to 12 liters per minute....

Hope this helps, and more importantly -- Pain Free Days to ya!

Old Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
jamie_h
New Board Newbie

Whad up!!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 10:25pm »

Thanks everyone for the messages! Wink  I did not have a non rebreather mask, I am getting one on Monday from the O2 provider.  I am guessing that will help.  The oxygen has helped a couple of times, but I too use the Maxalt Mlt's when I can't slow the progression.  Thank God it works well for me!  I am also fortunate to have execellent insurance with my wife's company, so all these meds and oxygen have not cost us much at all.

Thanks again ;D Shocked
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss