Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « does aspirin help on low level CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   does aspirin help on low level CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: does aspirin help on low level CH?  (Read 5580 times)
richyfourtythree
New Board Newbie

Email

does aspirin help on low level CH?
« on: Dec 18th, 2002, 3:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

my usual attacks are not so severe (kip scale 7). I thought aspirin gave me relieve, but I'm not so sure anymore, as I lately took one which had absolutly no effect. No I wonder if the other times when I thought it helped may just have been coincidences and the attack would have ended anyway.
I know painblockers like aspirin do not help at level 9 or ten. But what are your experiences on lower levels? I'd hate to eat tons of aspirin without any effect ...

Cheers

Olaf
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

Re: does aspirin help on low level CH?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 6:13am »

Good morning Rich,  I posted a similar answer to this question yesterday to someone. For years I would take up to 5 advils at a time as soon as an attack would come on. Whether it ended up a kip 7 or 4 or 10, they would usually stop after 45 minutes to an hour so I always assumed the advil helped but I am realizing now that it was just the attack ending and most people here would tell you that advil, tylenol, etc. have no effect on CH. There are much better meds to help you without taking the chance of ruining your stomach. Some people psycologically feel the need to take the aspirin anyway but maybe you should skip them next time and see just how long your attack lasts without them, I'll bet it will be the same amount of time.
Have a good day,
suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 8:18am »

Nothing over the counter has ever helped me.  I think it was just coincindence for you.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 9:34am »

For many cluster periods I would take 3 asprin every 3 hours all day, just for insurance.  The attacks came anyway.  Eventually started barfing up blood from a duodenal ulcer.  No more asprin after that.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Riccardo
New Board Old Timer
Italy 

Serial kisser... and Stetsons lover...

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 10:00am »

Agree with Suzi (and all others....)
Is a psychological thing. The attack goes after 30/45 mins, the known effect of aspirin and other .... stomach drillers..... the same.

I did the same in my previous years. The only benefit is that ibuprofen kills the secondary, light headache that comes after the attack.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2002, 10:01am by Riccardo » IP Logged

Riccardo OUCH-Italia
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 10:38pm »

..Agree with all replies....... Last night I really needed a nights sleep so I went ahead and took 1200 mg ibuprofen prescription strength. After 25 + years you would think I would learn. The ibuprofen put me right to sleep after an hour.. The cluster woke me after 45 min. K10s all night after that. Woke in a fog instead of full alert and that makes it much harder to do battle..... I have done this too many times over the years thinking maybe. but as you all said its pshycological...aspirin tylenol allways the same, hi dose or low dose. worse still I did the same just a few weeks ago. Otc pain killers are wonderfull for some things but not clusters. My belief is they actually make the pain more intense...... I'll probably try it again though. Nobody ever said I was sensible.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2002, 10:46pm by Jarvis » IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:28am »

my cycles usually start with very mild but annoying nagging HA every few days for a few weeks before the headbangers start. They are like kip 1 or 2 maybe and then OTC painkillers or Tiger Balm rubbed on the temple works for a while.  

When they get to kip 5 or more then no amount of OTC stuff helps and I ususally ride them out until I get the really big ones and use Imigran inj, and to date only Imigran Inj works and nothing else even remotely helps to stop the pain. Relief for me is then quite quick in 8-10 mins. I find If I don't take the imigran then the pain persists for up to 12 hours unlike many here who report CH of under an hour per attack.  

Before I discovered imigran (about 7 years ago) I used to get shorter CH which suddenly stopped after an hour or 2 and then came back a few hours later just as I started to feel better!

With imigran I find that I get at least 12 hours relief until the next CH. Maybe using imigran changes the pattern or enough stays in the system to prevent the next one so soon after?

Love J
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 5:42pm »

I have never gotten any relief for any headache while using OTC meds.  Save the aspirin for when ya get a fever.

PFDAN.............................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:19pm »

So true Drk, If I would have saved all the advils I took for my attacks I could have cured all the fevers for the rest of my life with them and then some...

suzy
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:20pm by suzy617 » IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24th, 2002, 2:08am »

In theory the aspirin 'thins the blood' which is why it is frequently used to thwart a heart patient that feels a heart attack coming on. Its effect on CH is likely minimal but it does ease blood flow through the veins diminishing the pulsatory effect of the cluster attack. The vein is still resting/pressing on the trigeminal nerve which is where the pain stems from. No, the OTC's are too non-specific to be of any relief in a condition like ours that knows no bounds and has no mercy.
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss