Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How much Imitrex Nasal Spray? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   How much Imitrex Nasal Spray?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How much Imitrex Nasal Spray?  (Read 3329 times)
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

How much Imitrex Nasal Spray?
« on: Dec 21st, 2002, 2:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've searched the site, but couldn't find any information on how much of the nasal spray you can snort up.  I'm having a verrrrry bad night.  The last attack, I shot 3 up my nose before someone stopped me. It's just now 1:30am, so I know I have a long time to go.

How many can you take?  My kind doctor only gave me one refill before next November.  Gee....how should I spread those 6 little sprays out over the next damn year.  

Does anyone know what the overdose level is?
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
dodger
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: How much Imitrex Nasal Spray?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 6:04am »

Roxy, sorroy I can't give you any imfo.re:Imitrex spray. Seems to me ,as rough as you have been having it, you should be looking into something for more aggressive treatment. Possibly the Imitrex inj.some people have mentioned. Hang tough!
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 9:49am »

Hi Roxy  

I agree with dodger. I tried the Imigran/Imitrex spray a good few years ago, even after I had had fantastic success with the injection, but was still having some issues with injecting myself. I thought it would work the same as the inj. I snorted my allotted prescription over a couple of days and got absolutely no relief whatsoever, and so in my opinion the spray sucks and is a waste of money for me. If it doesn't work 1st time round then I doubt it will ever work for you. The same goes for the pill form. I have also done a 6 pack of them with no relief. The injection works for me every single time in about 8-10 minutes the pain is completely gone whether I take it at the 1st signs of CH or after an hour or two of trying to tough it out with no luck! Have you tried it yourself yet. The autoinjector is actually not bad once you tell yourself it is going to get rid of the pain rapidly.

I don't think you can overdose on 6 sprays though, even if you took them all at once.  

Good luck with finding relief. I am currently 8 months PF but know exactly how you are feeling. Hope it passes soon.

Love J
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 11:04am »

Thanks for the information, help, and your support.  I greatly appreciate it.

I tried yesterday to make an appointment with a neuro in Dallas.  My best friends husband is a dr. down there, and the neuro is his best friend....so he said he will do or give me whatever I need.  I asked if he dealt w/a lot of ch's, and he told me if he didn't he would be up to speed on them by the time I get down there.

But the receptionist wouldn't schedule and appointment till my dr. here sent all my files, and my dr. is closed till after the first of the year.  But, at least I'll get in real quick after that.  

I keep going to the barn and looking at the oxygen on the welder and cutting torch...but don't have a clue on how to get to the oxygen.

R
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 11:18am »

Hey Roxy be careful with that oxygen. Theres about 2000 lbs of pressure in that tank. The green hose is the oxy. If you separate the tanks use a regulator... Just thought someone should mention this... Full force it'll blow a hole in your head.... .Hmmm...,This may cure clusters too.
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 11:18am »

Hi Roxy, I suggest you email Jonny about the oxygen. He has alot of knowledge on this and he is always there to lend a helping hand.

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 11:19am »

The PDR says something about 40mg a day.  However, my dr wrote me out a script where I could take a 20 mg spray in each nostril and repeat process in 1 hr if needed.  So that was 80mg in 1 hrs time.  I liked the 5mg nasal sprays.  I could start out at 5 mg and wait 10 min and if that didn't work add another 5 and wait another 10 and if that wouldn't work I would do a 20.  I learned how much spray I needed on the avg. and would start with that dose and quickly increase up as needed.  I got 8 ha a day.  I would take imitrix for 2 ior 3 ha and then need peracet for the rest to just take the edge off the ha.  I would have to ride it out but the pain med kept me out of er and made the kip10 more manageable.   I have taken that dosage daily for a couple of years.  However, it does add up and isn't good to take that much for as long as I did.  I am now on methadone and don't need imitrix for I no longer have ha.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 11:26am »

Mine nasal sprays are 20mg each.  So I only got 60mg in about a 15 min. period.

The hole in the head sounds pretty good....but people already tell me that I have one!!!!  LOL

I did use a fast walk down to the road (1 mile round trip) in the cold.  It was about 40 degrees and I had a bag of peas on my head at the time.  I think that may have helped....not sure though, but at least it distracted me.

R
IP Logged

MattJ
New Board Newbie

mrvax2  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 7:04pm »

My CHA have hit me hard this cycle. The Imitrex spray 20mg had helped in the beginning. After about 4 days, I had to use 2 to get relief. Went to the doc's Friday and got the injections again.

I've had great success with the injections and I'm splitting each does in half. (Using same needle 2x).  

Only problem is these CHA are becoming more frequent and I'm not sure what to do when I run out.

Try the injections if 20mg spray twice doesn't work for you.
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 7:42pm »

Have you tried oxygen?  There is a lot of information on the site about it.  It seems to help most people.  I think I tried every non-med so-called cure last night.  I went from exercise, ice, coffee, hot tea....I even tried the hot sauce under the tongue.  I think the hot sauce cure is there just so you can try it and the water cure at the same time.

Are you on any preventive meds?

R
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2002, 7:45pm by Roxy » IP Logged

Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 27th, 2002, 5:14pm »

Hiya Roxy,

I'm a big fan of the Imitrex spray -- I get the 20 mg size and it's never failed me.  My doc says I can use up to four per day safely, but after six doses he has been taught that it can begin to induce other vascular spasms (in the coronary and cranial arteries and a couple other places too).

This info is supposedly from Glaxo, although I noticed in the last batch I picked up that the nasal spray "has not been evaluated for effectiveness in cluster headache..." and their printed literature still says two per day max.

Remember -- I'm not a doc!  Just repeating what a pretty good one told me though....

Pain Free Days to ya!!

Old Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27th, 2002, 5:17pm »

Thanks Dave,

Much appreciated.  At least I can say I'm sucking up my share...and enjoying the hell out of everyone of them.

R
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss