Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 8:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Methergine, Anyone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Methergine, Anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Methergine, Anyone?  (Read 3452 times)
lulu2000

Email

Methergine, Anyone?
« on: Dec 29th, 2002, 9:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been taking methergine for about a month now and the frequency of the clusters has really decreased.  Methergine is a lot like Sansert which I have taken in the past and which caused a lot of pain; this drug also seems to be causing a lot of leg pain so that I  can sometimes hardly walk.  Still prefer it to the clusters - pretty pathetic.

Also taking Topamax, Verapamil, Lithium, O2, melantonin.  Since ergots are a no no with Methergine, I have Morphine Instant Release which really knocks you out.

Too many meds.  Anyway, anyone taking methergine and having problems or not?
Thanks.
IP Logged
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

Re: Methergine, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2002, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Lu,

I just ran across methergine a month or so ago, when I found that Sansert had been discontinued by Novartis.  It's supposed to be a safer substitute.

I haven't tried it but I will next cycle -- I have had good success with combining verapamil, sansert, and lithium in the past.  Sansert helped maybe 3 years out of 10, but when it did it was pretty total in arresting my cycle.

Can you not use Imitrex with methergine instead of morphine?  I don't do narcotics, and I've personally never experienced a reaction to Imitrex while taking sansert, ergotamine, or other ergot drugs.  Check with your doc.

Pain Free Days to ya,

Old Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
lulu2000

Email

Re: Methergine, Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2002, 8:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the wishes.  I have taken Sansert in the past and had less side effects.  Was told that I cold not take either ergots or Imitrex with Methergine because they all do the same thing; I tend to have rebounds from IMitrex anyway.  
I have been taken off the Methergine as the side effects, severe leg pain, etc. point to a toxic reaction to the drug.  Headaches started up immediately.  Very depressed.
I am hoping to try an occipital nerve block next.

Great that you are having luck.  Hope it continues.
lulu
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss