Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 6:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Ball Peen Hammer »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Jul-Sep 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Ball Peen Hammer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Ball Peen Hammer  (Read 1525 times)
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

The Ball Peen Hammer
« on: Sep 17th, 2003, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One of the difficulties we face as sufferes is trying to explain what CH is like. The word headache seems to sap the understanding of what it really is.  

My husband, a non-sufferer, was in an office with a rather out-of-touch, arrogant pain management Doctor once, and he was able to place the intensity of the pain into perspective in practical, everyday language that got immediate understanding, and results.  

I was floored by how much my husband had observed, and was able to relate.

"THE BALL PEEN HAMMER" analogy.  

Imagine what it would be like if some big guy were to hit you with a hammer, hard. For the sake of argument, it doesn't even have to be your head, you can pick the body part where you want to be struck (your thumb, or knee). Not hard enough to break, just very, very, hard.

Now, you have just been hit with that hammer. Using your choice of pain management skills, don't scream, don't writhe, just go to a happy place! Tell yourself that you can handle the pain. Now, you can't take any pain medicine for it , because you might have to worry about addiction, and that would be bad, wouldn't it?  

Now about an hour later, your eyes have finally quit streaming, the snot dries up in your nose, and the pain starts to dwindle to only a significant throb, and you think you might live through this experience. But now, the big dude is going to walk out of the corner and smack you in the same place yet again. Meanwhile, try to keep working, taking care of the kids, doing laundry.

You will get hit with this hammer up to six, eight times a day in the same place. This guy will be your constant companion, all day and all night, for weeks, months, years even. Sometimes you will see the dude coming, sometimes he will just hit you from behind. Either way, it will happen in public, in front of your loved ones, co-workers. Now, try not to be depressed! Try massage if things REALLY get bad.

Now, you have lived with this hammer for a month or so...(question to Doc) how far would you go to make him quit hitting you? When would enough be enough? One month, One year? How about six years? If this were a wife, son or daughter, would you sit by and watch them go through it, offering moral support when you could, or would you ask some hard questions about why people have to COPE with pain rather than TREAT it?

I hope this helps you as it helped me.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2003, 10:06am by hdbngr » IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

Re: The Ball Peen Hammer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 9:57am »

Fantastic analogy.  I hope this helps some folks who have a hard time expressing themselves.

PB
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 10:02am »

Awesome!!!  That is extremely helpful in explaining this wretched beast...
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 3:46pm »

I've been using this analogy to explain the nights:
Imagine finally falling asleep and having someone sneak in your bedroom window and just give you a nice big whack on the head with a baseball bat.  For no reason.  then he leaves.  Once you've collected yourself and managed to go back to sleep, he sneaks back in and... whack! again.  repeat.  all night long.

could this get anymore fun?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 4:04pm »

on Sep 17th, 2003, 9:54am, hdbngr wrote:
One of the difficulties we face as sufferes is trying to explain what CH is like. The word headache seems to sap the understanding of what it really is.  

My husband, a non-sufferer, was in an office with a rather out-of-touch, arrogant pain management Doctor once, and he was able to place the intensity of the pain into perspective in practical, everyday language that got immediate understanding, and results.  

I was floored by how much my husband had observed, and was able to relate.

"THE BALL PEEN HAMMER" analogy.  

Imagine what it would be like if some big guy were to hit you with a hammer, hard. For the sake of argument, it doesn't even have to be your head, you can pick the body part where you want to be struck (your thumb, or knee). Not hard enough to break, just very, very, hard.

Now, you have just been hit with that hammer. Using your choice of pain management skills, don't scream, don't writhe, just go to a happy place! Tell yourself that you can handle the pain. Now, you can't take any pain medicine for it , because you might have to worry about addiction, and that would be bad, wouldn't it?  

Now about an hour later, your eyes have finally quit streaming, the snot dries up in your nose, and the pain starts to dwindle to only a significant throb, and you think you might live through this experience. But now, the big dude is going to walk out of the corner and smack you in the same place yet again. Meanwhile, try to keep working, taking care of the kids, doing laundry.

You will get hit with this hammer up to six, eight times a day in the same place. This guy will be your constant companion, all day and all night, for weeks, months, years even. Sometimes you will see the dude coming, sometimes he will just hit you from behind. Either way, it will happen in public, in front of your loved ones, co-workers. Now, try not to be depressed! Try massage if things REALLY get bad.

Now, you have lived with this hammer for a month or so...(question to Doc) how far would you go to make him quit hitting you? When would enough be enough? One month, One year? How about six years? If this were a wife, son or daughter, would you sit by and watch them go through it, offering moral support when you could, or would you ask some hard questions about why people have to COPE with pain rather than TREAT it?

I hope this helps you as it helped me.

I like the explanation but i'd like to replace the hammer with a Red Hot knife that gets stuck into my eye instead.

PF, Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 5:02pm »

Nice work, both of you.

Vig, your economy of words is splendid.

Steve G
IP Logged
UnsolvedEquation

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 5:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Damn!! You guys REALLY do have what I do, huh ! For me...it's a terrible car wreck in which I put my head through the windshield...over and over and over...everyday and night ! When I wake the next day...I know there's gonna be another demolition derby !
~ WILD RIDE ~
IP Logged
hopefull
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 8:21pm »

How is it that we're not all crazed idiots.....people go postal over A LOT LESS....
IP Logged
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22nd, 2004, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

btt
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss