Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How to explain Cluster Headaches to LayPeeps »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   How to explain Cluster Headaches to LayPeeps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to explain Cluster Headaches to LayPeeps  (Read 1111 times)
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

How to explain Cluster Headaches to LayPeeps
« on: Mar 5th, 2002, 10:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For years, I've tried to explain my husband's headaches to folks who haven't a clue.  It's never an easy task to convince them that these babies just won't go away by taking an aspirin and laying down in a dark room.  I get so tired of people rolling their eyes at the thought of 'just another headache'.  Or when folks say 'oh, my Aunt Nellie used to get migraines.  She cured it by going to the chiropractor (or some other such miracle).'  [no offense to chiropractors - just an example!]

I was reading Ted's post this morning, in response to one by Daniel in which the comparison of clusters and migraines was brought up.  Ted has put it possibly the best way I've ever seen it written.  Here's what he said, Reader's Digest version:

"A migraine is heavy pain all in 1-3 days. A cluster is all that pain in 1-4 hours. We laugh at migraines as if they are nothing. 1-3 days of significant pain is not nothing. So, we get it heavier. We also get it shorter. A cluster is all the pain of a 3 day migraine all put into an hour."

That's how I explain it too.  Mike's headaches are like the pain of a 2-day migraine, instensified and condensed into an hour.  Most often, the reaction is 'Oh my God, the poor guy!'  Yep.  THAT's the reaction I look for, so I know they've understood.

Sometimes, in order to further the awareness of this disease we all deal with, we have to relay it in terms the general public will understand.  I mean, we all know that clusters are different than migraines, but if we use migraines as a reference point and springboard, most folks can relate to it.

Excellent job of explaining it, Ted!
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2002, 10:32am by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: How to explain Cluster Headaches to LayPeeps
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2002, 12:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 5th, 2002, 10:27am, Margi wrote:
Excellent job of explaining it, Ted!

You've got balls. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss