Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 2:12pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Good and Bad supporters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Good and Bad supporters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Good and Bad supporters  (Read 614 times)
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

Good and Bad supporters
« on: Mar 10th, 2002, 10:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
I don't have a "painless" supporter at home.  I have a painless husband (well, he's a pain in MY ass) but he's not really a supporter.  Although 4 years ago I scared the shit out of him and the next year he helped me get my oxygen, finally.  
But from MY standpoint, I can't say that a "painless" supporter is the best supporter.  When I need support once a year, I come here and find my friends that have gone through the experience.  They are my support, and a lot of them are "painless" supporters too.  But I can't devide them up and say one is better then the other...
Jayne last year was my biggest support.  She called me up and yelled at me that my verapamil dosage was "fucking stupid" and convinced me to up my verapamil.  THAT helped me tremendously last year.  
All the gang is HSG chat has been the greatest support for me last year too.  It was the first year that I found chat...and I haven't left yet.  I've been in remission over a year now, and whilst I'm not in cycle, I support.
So...from MY standpoint, I can't say that a painless person is a better supporter.
Because there are Great supporters, and BAD supporters Smiley
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Good and Bad supporters
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 12:13pm »

I agree there are some bad supporters out there, Michelle.  Hopefully, a venue like this will continue to help educate them as to how to help a clusterhead cope.
But, as I said to you in my note, I can't agree with your terminology of 'painless supporter'.  It's kind of an oxymoron in my books.  Because we do feel pain.
The whole reasoning behind starting a supporters groups was for the folks who DON'T feel cluster pain, but need help understanding it.  I don't see why that is so wrong and why, all of a sudden, it's becoming an 'us and them' arena here.  Maybe DJ was wrong in trying to give us supporters our own rooms to vent about the challenges we face.  It's obviously causing certain sufferers some sort of upset.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 12:25pm »

So, I guess I'm just a little confused then...I'm not sure if I'm a sufferer and don't belong in here...or if I'm a supporter too...and CAN post in here?
Seriously, is this painless (NOT painless) supporters arena only?
Thinking about it...I think it really is.
Ok, that's ok, no biggy.
You can move my thread to general if you want.
Just wanted to make a point that supporters come in all shapes and sizes.
IP Logged

Be part of the solution
OXYGEN!!!
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 12:36pm »

Nahhh. It wasn't wrong at all for him to get this board going for you supporters who don't get cluster headaches but live with it everyday and suffer in your own way from it. Day in and day out of living with a clusterhead and also being a true supporter (and not just someone living with one and not being a supporter) shows a much more inbred compassion of a person, often, then if the compassion and support was born from the actual pain. I think supporters who live with the clusterhead have a lot more weighing on their shoulders and hearts then those of us who do it through e-mails and calls. I truly admire those who actually do it (and do it from their hearts and not an ulterior motive) with whom they live with.
 I hope this isn't becoming an "us" and "them" arena. If it does, I'm joining the "thems."  Smiley
 I think DJ made another great decision in choosing Margi as the moderator.  
 Hey Monique. Congratulations on the award.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2002, 12:45pm by Ted » IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 12:50pm »

It looks like this thread has been totally misunderstood...Mastiff, i have known you for a long time on the mb and I dont feel your intention was to question wheither or not there should be a supporter's corner....that does not sound like your style.  I know what it is like not to have a supporter in my home also...wish i did sometimes...and i have a few supporters who do not have chs and alot that do....and I would not be able to tell you who helps me the most....love is love.  I know we all appreciate any support we can get with the beast... At any rate, I read your post several times before posting and hope others will do the same.
IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 12:58pm »

Thanks Nance,  
I guess MY main problem is this area IS the supporters corner ONLY.  For reals, it says so in the description.
Which is just fine.  Margi or DJ can move this thread to the General section, cause basically it's just my opinion anyways.  They can even delete it for all I care Smiley
And I agree, I could not say that clusterheads or NON are the biggest support.  We all support each other here on the MB and that's where I get my support from  Cheesy
IP Logged

Be part of the solution
OXYGEN!!!
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 1:29pm »

Hi Nancy and Mastiff. Maybe this will help to clear up any confusuion you may be encountering. I didn't see the word "only" in the description of this page (it says "Don't have cluster's yourself but care for someone who does? Share experiences with other "clusterhead" supporters here..."Wink but I did see this in a post from Margi to everyone about the supporter board (some things are edited out because they may add additional confusion as they are refering to a situation encountered on the support board a while back):

"Before anyone gets the wrong idea
« on: Feb 18th, 2002, 2:20pm »  
This forum is here for all of us, just like the rest of the board. But, just like the funnies board, there is a main topic in this room, and that is supporters and how we cope.  

All are welcome to post and read, supporters AND sufferers alike... It could get ugly in here at times, sometimes supporters hit the wall, too.   But that's ok, that's exactly why this room is here...  

...I guess the biggest reason for posting is that I've gotten mail from some sufferers who are timid to post here, thinking they are not welcome in here, or worried they said the wrong things...    EVERYONE is welcome here.   We're all family, for Heaven's sake!!  Without our sufferers, our supporters would be pretty lost, let me tell you."

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 2:36pm »

My apologies to everyone concerned with this thread.  Guess a six month visit from the Beast does take its toll on us after awhile (yes, even us painless folks) and sleep deprivation gets the better of me sometimes.
Mast, of COURSE you are welcome here. I've always considered you a friend, and I'm sorry you're not getting the help you need at home. Ted, thanks for what you said.  As always, you're my rock.
There isn't a REAL Supporter of the Year Award.  I just made that up to brighten a family's day for an entirely different reason.  I see now that I should have worded it differently.

IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 7:30pm »

Thanks Margi and Ted,
I really didn't mean to be confrontational...I can't "do" confrontation.
I just wanted to throw in another point of view to ponder.
Sorry you and Mike are having such a rough time right now...
This whole board is support!!  Notice how many new people are showing up and getting showers of supports?  I'm proud of this whole board Smiley
Mast
IP Logged

Be part of the solution
OXYGEN!!!
Monique
New Board Junior

Farm Fresh!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 9:59am »

Hey Mast,

You know there are good supporter and bad ones.  There are nice CHer's and really jackass CHer's.  There are also good folks and crappy folks of all kinds.

Your always welcome here in the supporters corner.  You've been a great supporter in and out of cycle to many.  Unlike many that go out of cycle and desert the rest (I can be counted amoung those too, definately of that mind set, when out of cycle I don't want to think about CH at all) but your one of the ones that hangs out and offers whatever you can to whoever you can.  That is very cool.  Margi is one of those too.  Has been here since the boards inception almost everyday without fail.  So if there are any "real" awards to hand out there are too many folks on this board that are deserving....

At the moment Margi needs some support and she is too much of a tough cookie to ask for it, so lighten up folks and give back some of what you've gotten.

Thanks Ted for the Congrats.... I have it on my mantel with all my other awards........ very empty mantel really!  Embarassed

have a good one.

IP Logged

Deep Breath And Go On.......
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 10:05am »

S'ok, Monique - Mast is cool.  I think the new format here has really thrown us all for a loop.  It used to be that ch.com was just one big meeting room, where we could ALL see and hear what each other were saying.  Now, it's just a big long hall, with a bunch of doors.  All the doors are unlocked, but no one is really sure yet who belongs where, and we're not sure if we should be in this room or that room, or which conversations we're "allowed" to listen to anymore.
As for me needing support, naw - me fine.  I'm a pretty tough old cookie, actually.  When I feel like I'm hitting the wall, I'll just fill up Monique's mailbox.  Good thing she's got large storage capacity!

K, onwards and upwards, gang.  This is getting old.

Kiss
IP Logged

source unknown

Monique
New Board Junior

Farm Fresh!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 10:28am »

DON'T MESS WITH ME WOMAN!
LOL, it's over when I say it's over....... Tongue
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 10:35am »

Monique,  
You are so funny.
Now I think we need to move this thread into funnies, BWAA HAAA HAAA.

Love it when things get back to Normal  Cheesy
Mast
IP Logged

Be part of the solution
OXYGEN!!!
Monique
New Board Junior

Farm Fresh!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 10:52am »

Mast tain't no normal round here!
But your sweet... so sweet your sticky.... HEY

SWEATY, ..... LEAKY,....... & ...... STICKY!!!!

EWWWWWWW........................
IP Logged

Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 9:21pm »

As a sufferer - and a supporter - I make a trek to this message board a few times a day.  I do read the posts in the supporter's corner, but have only posted here 1x.

With that said, I think that supporter's corner is a very, very, very important corner of this board.  I know how I feel when I going thru an attack but I can only imagine what my husband is going through.  I know he lays in bed waiting for me to finish the dance to make sure I'm alright.I usually leave the bedroom to hit the shower or go outside of his presence because, believe it or not, I'm still not comfortable doing the dance in front of him.  I mean, really, we've only known each other for 21 years LOL.

Supporters need to vent, rant, rave, laugh, cry or whatever "dance" they need to do because I know your life goes on hold when the one you hold dear is going thru the cycle.

If not for the support of my husband (and my 4 year old son) I don't like to think about where I might (or might not) be.

Keep your chins up.  We need you.  You are our salvation!

Hope your's is a pf world.

Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 15th, 2002, 2:11pm »

Thanks, Linda - what a nice post!!

IP Logged

source unknown

HarleyDoggsWife

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 3:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Linda you are too kind, I  know when the beast comes to my house things are put on hold and even when hubby is feeling his worst he takes the time to say hun, it will be over soon and we can get back to normal! So thank you linda for thinking of us!  Its nice to know us supporters are being recognized(even though we will never understand the pain you go thru we will always be there for you!) kate
IP Logged
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 11:35pm »

A good supporter does not take ownership of a CH's pain. It's not theirs to have. A good supporter does not placate.
IP Logged
HarleyDoggsWife

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 1:38am »

???  I don't think anyone here is trying to take ownership of ones ch's, and its wrong to pacify or calm  down the one who is having one? why is this? Its called helping ,caring, loving the person who is going thru such hell!!!!!  if this wrong so be it, to you maybe but to my Hubby it helps(so he says)!    To Each Their Own!
IP Logged
Candy

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 1:54am »

Okay you guys - we're all here for one reason, "painless" or "pained".  We all need help.  Paul, you know I realize what you're saying, and it's valid...however!  I think we're being consumed by the knowledge that the pain consumes, yet underneath that is an individual, and each supporter knows his or hers.  Indeed, "to each his own".  I also believe that when a supporter seeks or grants his/herself a pat on the back, it's not so much placating as looking for reassurance that they are doing all they can for the person they love.  
Remember, I'm new, so go easy on me if I'm way off track, and go easy on each other too - remember what we're really struggling with here.
IP Logged
HarleyDoggsWife

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 2:00am »

Smiley Candi !!!!!!!!! Thank You  Thank You!!!!! you said it so much better then I did!!!!  See what happens when emotions get involved with typing!!!!! I come off as the po'ed wife (LOL) but thank you candi !  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss