Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 2:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Heres what I think.............. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Heres what I think..............
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heres what I think..............  (Read 407 times)
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

Heres what I think..............
« on: Mar 20th, 2002, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is from an article that appeared on another web site...........I didn't name it and will change it if Kip desires......

The Supporter's Kip Scale

Donna Harlacz describes, "The different stages of a supporter's ordeal when a loved one has clusterheadache."

Kip 1 and 2 - Combination of fear and dismay that loved one is going into a headache. We know it is coming before they give any verbal warning - just look at that eye turn from white to dusty pink to red.  

Kip 3 to 6 - Helplessness and sometimes anger when they start getting agitated and talking in a fashion that scares us. Anger is the flip side of fear. When it's over, we do not feel angry anymore.  

Kip 7 - Sneaking around as quietly as possible, but not far enough away that we can't peek to see if they are all right. We are now hurting pretty badly ourselves. I guess you can liken it to heartache.  

Kip 8 and 9 - Wishing and begging a Higher Power to put an end to this, cursing the Beast, wringing your hands, watching the clock, wondering if it's time to start the car, sweating, nervous stomach, panic.  

Kip 10 - Driving to the ER. Wonderment at how much they can endure. Loving them so much. Bitter toward and cursing the fate causing their pain. Counting the days 'til the cycle should end. And finally, relief that his/her pain is gone for now.  

I've been on both sides of this fence, having suffered clusters for 28 years and now being a supporter for my 31 year old son.  

Many sufferers fear looking weak, sickly, less of a person, unlovable. This is not how supporters see their stricken loved ones. It is a shared (or should be) part of your lives together. No one asks to be stricken with any kind of affliction. It can happen at any time to anyone. Make the most of the good time that you share. Talk openly about your feelings. Do research together and discuss it.

For those of us who suffer these headaches alone - if you are tough enough to have endured your first full-blown clusterheadache, you will make it through the rest. They won't kill you, although you will wish more that once that they had. Sure it gets old, but you've got to have a plan. If you don't have a dream for your future, something to strive for, then you won't have a future.

The next time that you are out of cycle, set a goal for yourself. Plan the steps that it will take to get there. Mark your progress. Give yourself some hope. Life will actually be productive and you will be proud of yourself.

Never forget that WE ARE HERE FOR YOU,  ANYDAY, ANYTIME.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2002, 10:00am by Donna » IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

Re: Heres what I think..............
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2002, 12:53am »

Well said Donna--or well plagiarised--either way thanks for the list, I'm gonna share it.
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2002, 8:55am »

That's not plageurism, Not.  Donna wrote that and I believe it appears on her own website.  

She is an awesome writer and really puts into words well what we go through as supporters.

Donna is perhaps the most unique supporter amongst us because she really has been on both sides of the fence and now her cluster pain is that of watching one of her children go through what she went through for so long.  

Donna's a star supporter in my books.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Jayne S.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2002, 8:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I second the motion Margi  Grin
IP Logged
Darleen
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Peek-a-boo

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 9th, 2002, 5:43pm »

Ditto to that Margi!!

Darleen Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss