Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Strange Dreams »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Strange Dreams
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strange Dreams  (Read 2196 times)
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Strange Dreams
« on: Jul 14th, 2002, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm curious to know if others have noticed any changes in the frequency or types of dreams that occur in and out of the CH attack cycle?  

My husband (Bill) has these really wild and vivid dreams quite often.  I don't know if it has anything to do with his CH, or maybe just sleep deprivation.  It isn't related to any medication in his case, since he dosen't take anything.  He can remember lots of dreams, whereas I rarely ever recall one.....
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

Re: Strange Dreams
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10th, 2002, 2:02am »

I was going to post an answer to this but you said your hubby isnt on meds... I will ask my cluster buds if they have bad dreams... and get back to you... sorry it is taking so long..
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2002, 12:20pm »

Hi Becca

It could be the sleep deprivation.  Dreaming occurs during REM sleep and if he's sleep deprived, REM sleep occurs quite quickly after falling asleep.  He COULD try dramamine or gravol - it prevents REM sleep, but it's also a double edged sword because we all NEED REM in order to feel rested.

I've heard other sufferers talk of vivid dreams and also rocking their heads from side to side while in REM sleep.  Maybe it IS a cluster thing?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 11:45am »

Dave says he doesnt have any dreams that he can remember when he has CH and that is due to the fact that he gets so little sleep... hope that helps  
ps are you on amytriptaline a side effect of that is bad dreams... Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2002, 6:03am »

Humm - Thanks for your replys.  I guess its a little mystery. At least we can be thankful he sometimes gets enough sleep to have these crazy dreams!  Not looking for a "cure" as the dreams are the very least of his troubles, even somewhat entertaining.  Just curious about why he has so many.  Apparently it isn't a "CH trait" especially.
IP Logged
Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20th, 2002, 12:05am »

I asked my neuro awhile back about the same thing...my dreams have always been very vivid and detailed...but after I started getting ch, they were just obnoxiously vivid...the kind of dreams that stay with you all day...anyway, he called them "pain dreams"...he said when my head was starting to bother me in my sleep, which usually happens during REM, or when I was just sore from a bad day of ch...my body was expressing the pain through my dreams...like when the alarm goes off in the morning and you incorporate into your dream...or when your cat is doing that kneeding thing on your chest and you dream of being cut up or something...know what I mean, Vern?

Yer right though...if he's dreamin..he's sleepin...very sweet indeed.
IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20th, 2002, 2:22am »

Wow Georgia that is very interesting to learn... kind of a fun thing for a supporter to do next time our Suportee is in a cycle ask him about his dreams  NOT!!! LOL he would kill me... seriously that is amazing that you remember your dreams so vividly during a cycle... and it all makes sense. Finally the answer Becca was looking for too...   hey I love the smurfs.... Hope you are well Love Ree
IP Logged

Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25th, 2002, 11:20am »

I've had very vivid and wild dreams for a long time.  Never sure why.  Very bizarre.  Indescribable really.
CH's for 24 years.  And alot of dysfunction over the years, deaths, grief, depression, always figured it was that.  Sometimes I have the same dream over, one in particular I have had for years.

Amitryptiline????? Antidepressant???/?
Deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25th, 2002, 9:36pm »

Quote:
I'm curious to know if others have noticed any changes in the frequency or types of dreams that occur in and out of the CH attack cycle?  

Silly me - who would ever remember a dream they might have been having when a cluster hits?!  

Bill is sitting at the other computer here drinking strong coffee and using his O2 concentrator now.  We are prodromal. This aura stuff has been dragging on since last Spring.  Must be why I keep checking in here from time to time - just want to be ready when it ever gets here, and hope it doesn't, but expect it will............sometime.  soon? maybe.  maybe not.  hope not.

Since CH attacks that come during sleep most often come during REM sleep, which is also the time of dreaming, I posit that a CH sufferer becomes conditioned to awakening during REM sleep. Then they might also wake up during REM when out of the CH cycle as well, and "catch" themselves dreaming more often than we slugs who sleep right through our most fascinating dreams and never remember them at all!

Dreams interest me.  An 84 year old female patient told me this dream which she had last night.   I showed up at her bedside early in the AM, she said "Oh, I thought you were Tom Brokaw"./  "Why would you think that?"/  "Well, I was just dreaming that he got in here in disguise as a woman and was going around interviewing for his next book about female hospital patients".  (I was relieved to know this was her dreaming, and not her hallucinating!)  She had just read The Greatest Generation, by Brokaw, and upon awakening earlier, had seen a doctor's shoes and pant legs pass by beneath the curtain around her bed. Then she fell asleep again and had this dream.  That's an example of how things you do and reflect on while awake can influence dreaming.  

There are a lot of other types of dreams.  I would love to know which types of dreams CH sufferers have most often.  Bill's are unlike any I have ever experienced, as are his head pains.

Antidepressants and some other medications do seem to cause a lot of people to have unusual dreams.  I conducted a smoking cessation class for several years where people could take Zyban (an antidepressant that curbs desire for nicotine) and those who took it frequently reported having really vivid dreams.

Gee - that was quite a ramble - any extra star points awarded for word count? How about for learning how to get a quote in a little box thing?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss