Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 7:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Can't take imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Can't take imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can't take imitrex  (Read 348 times)
bethdawn

Email

Can't take imitrex
« on: Sep 18th, 2002, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello again,
We just got back from the neuro. Found out hubby can't take imitrex because of his prior heart attack and triple bypass. Doc up'ed vermaprilmil (sorry i can never spell that right) to 120mg pm and 40mg am plus 10 liter O2 at onset of CH. Ch's occur at least 3-4 per day daily since May '02. (This cluster) Any other suggestions? We have tried to stay away from all foods containing tyramine just in case, but nothing really works. Stress of not working and having to stay home with a two year old 9 yr. old & 11 yr old seems to be increasing severity. Hubby has not be able to work since '97. I welcome any and all help. God bless you all.
IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Can't take imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

He upped the Verapamil to 160 mgs daily? Man. He's still on wayyyyyyyyy too low of a dose. At the bear minimum he should be taking 240 mgs daily. And that low a dose hardly helps many clusterheads. Sounds like the neuro has to read up on verapamil usage to treat clusters and not high blood pressure. You might want to get some of the medical info from this site and OUCH's (and not posts discussing it but actual medical articles) and let him read it. 160 mgs most likely won't help your husband any more than whatever lower dose he was at.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 2:17pm »

Doc Robinson, at the Vancouver convention, stated that you need levels of verpamil that would give a cardiologist a heart attack!  He has patients as high as 1080mg/day.  Not a typo - 1080mg/day!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 3:53pm »

I just wont to add my medications for breaking out of cycle.But remember that i`m not a doc,just another clusterhead from Norway  

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle    
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree    
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg    
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily    

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway    

I also have a bad heartcondition.Had a heartattack Nov 12.But quitting the shots is no option for me.I think that the shots is Gods gift to us clusterheads.  
The thing that i don`t understand or found the answer to is how i after the attack has had only 9 light clusterattacks."singleattacks"And before i was diagnosed as a cronical.  
But so it has been said."I do not reccomend heartattacks as a treatment for cluster".Its a bit extreme for that.Dont you think?    
Take care my friend    

Your friend in Norway   Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
bethdawn

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 8:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So Sorry Ted Embarassed I meant 240 mg am and 120 mg pm verapamil.  Is that still waaaaaaaaay low? The stress of this is rather hard on me too!
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 7:53pm »

thanks you guys for picking up the slack... i havent been well the past few days... A cold on top of my usual bad Migraine week for the month...  

Seems like a low dose to me too... Dave takes Neurontin for a preventative and he starts with 240mg 3x a day... ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
stevek
New Board Junior
USA 

I need the sun!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24th, 2002, 1:31pm »

At 240 mg verp. wasn't doing much for me, at 480mg it is a big help.  I hope you find some relief.

take care,  stevek
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss