Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 11:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Can you tell me about "shadows"? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Can you tell me about "shadows"?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can you tell me about "shadows"?  (Read 370 times)
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Can you tell me about "shadows"?
« on: Feb 16th, 2004, 2:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was on this board daily back in October, when my hubby was having his second really serious CH attack. It lasted about 3 weeks, which seemed like forever, but I guess it's really a pretty short run!  Roll Eyes

The previous episode was 18 months earlier, and the shadow headaches continued for several weeks before subsiding. This time around, he is still continuing to have them. Sometimes they are shortlived, sometimes they hang around all day, and he is having them maybe 4-5 days out of the week.  

I am really worried that this might mean he is going to become chronic. Anyone with a similar experience?  

I also wonder what your loved ones use for these shadow headaches. Sometimes Ibuprofen helps, but sometimes it doesn't. One day he looked so miserable, I had him take a Percocet, which knocked it down. But I sure don't want him taking that on a regular basis.  

I am praying that these things won't hit in the Spring. At this rate we won't know if they are coming on or not--in the past he had the onset of shadows to warn him.

Jan
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: Can you tell me about "shadows"?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 3:25pm »

Jan,

First off, many of us describe shadow HAs differently.  So, please allow me to give you my definition.

Shadows are CH attacks that never ramp up higher than a 4 on the pain scale.  They are not disabling, and can last much longer than a "typical" CH attack.  All of the symptoms, other than duration and intensity are the same.  I am not trying to downplay shadows at all.  It sucks having any type of headpain for an extended duration...even if the pain is just moderate.

I am a chronic sufferer.  I have never been episodic.  As a chronic, I usually get one attack per day on average.  Some days, I get none, some 5.  It all averages out to about 1 per day though.  This does not include shadows as I do not consider them attacks.  I will normally "ride" out shadows.  That is, I normally do not intervene with any medications (not even OTC meds).  Sometimes, when the shadow is just too much to handle, then I will use imitrex to kill it.  I'm not saying he should use trex, but whatever he uses to abort CH attacks should work on shadows as well.

It is possible that he is suffering from another type of HA condition.  I would have no idea what kind, but it is something to consider.  If he is chronic, you won't know for a year...by definition.  However, it is only a label...the pain remains the same.

I would suggest getting in to see a doc and see if some relief can be found.

Regards!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 12:11am »

Jan,

I know some CH sufferers who take Excedrin Migraine to help with the shadows.  I am not in any way making an evaluation of your husband's ha's.  Like Chris said, he may should check with his doctor about the shadows.

The Excedrin Migraine has a high content of caffeine.  If your husband is one that caffeine helps when in cycle, then possibly it would help.  The folks I know that take it say it works for them.  Like in any other situation, you might read warning labels.  You didn't mention what meds he is taking, if any.  Does he have 02??

IMO....better to take the Excedrin Migraine (which is OTC) than to take the Percocet.  

Hope you find what you need to help him.

Let us know......

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Camerooskis_Mom
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 1:09pm »

Jan

It has been hard for me and my little one to come to agreement as to what constitutes "shadows" and his "other head ache".

Together, we have found that his shadows do not develop into his full blown CH.  These shadows are very helpful (helps to know where he is in cycle, when the Apex of his cycle has come/passed, and to tell us he is cycling down).  I do not know if this is the information you need but I hope it eases some anxiety and fear.
IP Logged
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 6:17pm »

Thanks ladies! I will suggest the Excedrin again. I think he hasn't used it because he tries Ibuprofen first, and then doesn't want to the Excedrin on top of it.  

We don't have oxygen yet. Only been through two cycles of full-blown clusters so far, but we do want to see about using that next time. We do have a small stockpile of Imitrex pills and two injections that haven't expired yet, but we hate to use it when the HA is still tolerable.  

Camerooski's Mom, that really does relieve me to know that the shadows don't necessarily lead to CH's. And like you guys said, it seems to be different for everybody. Sure would be nice if there was a casebook cause and cure, right?  

Anyway, thanks for the support. I feel better just knowing you guys are  here.

Jan
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24th, 2004, 5:56pm »

When shadows are persistent and they get strong enough to start bothering me I reach for the O2. I just started using O2 last week, and it kills HA's quickly for me, and will normally banish shadows for an hour to several hours. I highly reccomend it.
IP Logged

Chris
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 2:55pm »

I just popped in to see how folks are doing, and thought I'd give an update. The shadows continue several times a week, but they aren't too awful bad and hubby still hasn't gone into the fullblown CH's. Excedrin Migraine does seem to help when the little buggers don't disappear on their own. Spring seems to be here...I think I need to mow the lawn this week, and I'm enjoying the daffodils. I am crossing my fingers and hoping this means we might not have to go through a Spring cycle!  

IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 12:54pm »

D gets rebound h/as from over-the-counter meds . .the only one he seems to NOT rebound from is Aleve.  He uses o2 for shadows, if they are too bothersome to 'just deal with' (I really hate it when an uninformed m/a or admin-type says that to us!!)
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss