Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 1:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My father suffers from cluster headaches... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   My father suffers from cluster headaches...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My father suffers from cluster headaches...  (Read 301 times)
NMF910
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Nikkitramm

My father suffers from cluster headaches...
« on: Jul 18th, 2004, 12:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi! My name is Nicole and my father has been suffering from cluster headaches for 20 years now. He just started getting them again last Tuesday after a 2 year remission period. I feel so sorry for him...I love him alot and wish that there was something I could do. I am just starting to research the condition more and would love some ideas on how to help and support him. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks! ~Nicole
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

Re: My father suffers from cluster headaches...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 3:49pm »

Nicole - best way to help  him is to get him on this board so he can read and hear from other people that he's absolutely not alone in this.

There's a ton of help and support here for him and for you.

Sorry you had to coming looking, but glad you found us.

A remission is not uncommon - some of have had that good fortune before we get reminded again that The Beast Rules!!!!
IP Logged
Darleen
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Peek-a-boo

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 7:51pm »

Hey Nicole,

Like Grandma said try to get him hear on the board - if not there is a wealth of info here for you to read.  Being a supporter myself (my husband suffers from clusters),  ask your dad how you can help when he is not being hit.  What I mean is ask him before an attack what you can do for him so that when he is getting attacked you already know what he wants or does not want you to do.  

Stick around - you'll find lots of support here.

D Smiley
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 7:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Nicole.

I'm a sufferer and Margi is probably going to tell me to get lost but I never listen to Margi anyway.

Unfortunately what your dad may want during an attack is to be left alone. That I'm sure is tough on a supporter. Ch sufferers suffer in isolation mostly so we can concentrate on bearing the pain. External stimulus such as sound, light, touch will aggravate the pain. It is  physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting to deal with an attack. Trying to respond to anything but the attack, even when given in a loving caring way, is just to much to deal with.

Your helping will come in before and after the attack. Ask him what you should do.

Be aware of the signs of an oncoming attack (I ussually start rubbing my neck) and simply acknowledge them and do whatever you and your dad have pre-arranged.  That will probably mean getting his meds then stepping away.

Following an attack I have found that what helps tremendously is someone simply asking if I'm OK.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2004, 7:12am by don » IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 11:12am »

Nicole, you're getting some really good advice here.  Ask your dad what you can do for him but, don't ask him when he's in pain.  

It will really help him to find others that have felt his pain so do give him the link to the website.

Does he have a good doctor that has him on a good treatment plan?  Does he use oxygen?  What other meds?  

Being a supporter is heartbreaking and there really isn't anything you can do to stop the pain but, as Don says, sometimes even just comfort after the attack is a big help.

And, no, Don - I'm not gonna tell you to get lost.  That was a really nice post.  (That will be 20 bucks, please)

Keep talking, Nicole - we are here to help you AND your dad.  Good for you for looking into this for him - sometimes we supporters are their only line of defense and we do have to learn how to be researchers.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss