Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie, but about last night... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Newbie, but about last night...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie, but about last night...  (Read 363 times)
kathy804
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Newbie, but about last night...
« on: Dec 29th, 2004, 1:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to you all, my dear husband is a ch sufferer, this current episode started in earnest 2 weeks ago.  He is on prednisone, 50mg/day, historically this helps ALOT.   He started last Wed.   Yesterday he to cut back to 40mg, had a "ghost" (is that what you call them?) early in the day but that just caused some anxiety.    Last night though, about 2:30 I witnessed one of the worst attacks I beleive he has had in a LONG time.  
It woke him out of a deep sleep and it was probablt too late for the imitrex pills to work.
I sat with him, tried to keep him calm, told him to breathe and just tried to comfort him.  I have no idea if any of this was the right thing to do.  Does deep breathing help?  I know he didn't want to be touched but he did hold my hand

What else can I do, I can't bear watching him suffer like this.
IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

Re: Newbie, but about last night...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 1:18pm »

sorry to hear about your hubby, my wife has a hard  
time not knowing what to do. i go outside and take
a walk it does help but it wakes me up. when one
hits me i dont want to talk, listen or be touched
but i love my. wife she has figured it out just leave
me be for a little while and it will pass. then i go to
her and hug her.hope it gets better for you and him
eddie
IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 1:37pm »

Welcome, Kathy...sorry you had to find us. It's harder to be a supporter (I think) than a sufferer. Why don't you ask your husband what he wants you to do during an attack? Also, invite him here for support and info. He can let us know what meds he's tried, etc. We may have info to offer. This supporter board doesn't get read as much as the others (at least by me), so if you have a question that needs an immediate answer, try posting on the others. Hang in there.  hug to you and many Pain Free wishes to your hubby.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
kathy804
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 1:59pm »

Thanks, I probably posted too early, I'm still scouring the boards and web sites offered here.  I think I just needed to hear from people who know what I'm talking about ya know?  
Most people think they are like a regular migraine and shrug it off, they have NO IDEA how bad these monsters are.

Thanks again for listening
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 2:05pm »

Hi Kathy, welcome.  Glad you found us.

You really do have to let your husband lead the way, I'm afraid.  Most sufferers do prefer to be left alone during an attack but most of us supporters stay within earshot if they need anything.

There are a number of things you can do, honey.  Does ice help him?  I keep three of those gel-filled bags in the freezer at all times.  My husband lays one on the back of his neck at the onset of the attack.  It helps to keep him calm and does defray the pain a little.  

Ice water might also help him - chill him from the inside.    

Another thing you can do is watch the clock for him.  You live with him.  You know how long these attacks last.  That helps my hubby to know that he's only got 20 minutes more to get through.  Then 15.  Then 10.  It's reassuring to him to realize that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

You asked about deep breathing....it really depends how he's doing it.  If he's doing it quickly and in a panic, then no.  It won't help him - it will only increase his anxiety, blood pressure and he could hyperventilate.  However, if he can teach himself to breathe slowly and rhythmically (i have no idea how to spell that), then it will help to keep him calm and keep that blood pressure down.  

Has he ever tried oxygen?  If the deep breathing IS helping him, then he might be a really good candidate for oxygen.  Is he seeing a doctor?  If so, INSIST on a prescription to try oxygen.  Print out the information here from the Oxygen button on the left and don't leave the doc's office without a 'script.

THAT's how you can help, Kathy - educate yourself and become your hubby's voice when he can't speak.  Be his buffer, his advocate.  There's precious little we supporters can do to stop the pain but we CAN help to make life easier for our sufferers.  Check out our Family Services Team here too - pages written by supporters who understand what YOU go through, too.  You can find it here:  http://www.clusterheadaches.org/family/index.htm

And, please feel free to continue posting here on the supporters' boards, ok?  We supporters do read these sections and quite often, answers are sent by email (privacy is a big issue with supporters).  So don't think you have go into the "deep end" here to find help, ok?  We're always out here watching for new supporters who are running out of rope.

If you need a shoulder, please feel free to email me at moxie_miss@hotmail.com.

BIG hugs,
Margi
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 2:23pm »

Quote:
We supporters do read these sections and quite often, answers are sent by email (privacy is a big issue with supporters).  So don't think you have go into the "deep end" here to find help, ok?

ooops...sorry Margi, I did qualify it by saying :
Quote:
(at least by me),
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 5:43pm »

The best support is love and understanding.

It is difficult to understand the pain, unless you have experienced it.  However, when you give support to someone you love, in a way, you feel the pain too.

I am a sufferer....my husband has sat many a night with me, just like you did for your hubby.   When my pain was gone, I could see and feel his pain.    

CH has an incredible way of affecting everyone in the family.

You sound like a great supporter.  Your hubby is very lucky.  Margi is a great supporter also, and her offer to help, is genuine.  Sometimes it's a good thing to see how other supporters cope.   You can get alot of ideas of things you can do, and have those ideas ready to go when the need arises.

Good luck to you, and lots of PF vibes to your hubby,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 11:56am »

Hi Kathy..

I'm married to a clusterhead too.  Watching them suffer is heartbreaking....if you stay strong it will help give him the strength to get through....positive thoughts that tomorrow is another day and may just be better.    Educating yourself (here & on OUCH) is a great line of defense.  There are lots of 'home remedies' that can help too.

We're always here to help.

Good luck,
Jackie
IP Logged
kathy804
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 12:41pm »

Thanks again to all of you.  Rich seems to have them under control again with the prednisone, but is still feeling really beat up.  He hasn't tried oxygen yet, he really wants to try it as a last line of defense.  I think he's concerned about the side effects, not that Prednisone is any safer.

Margi, your idea of timimg them is great, I never thought of that and I'm sure it would give him some sense of relief, knowing the end is comming.  
I'm a yoga person so I really thing the  deep breathing, not hyper-venelating, would really help if I could get him to concentrate (not easy during an attack)

We are both self employed and currently ininsured,  so we are exploring getting his Imitrex from Canada, does any one else do this?

Thanks again for the positive thoughts

Kathy
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:26pm »

Hi, just wanted to add a *hug* to those being given.  
D has been a CHer for about 20+years.  
We would encourage the o2 as an abortive, it cut D's headaches from 20 minutes to 8 minutes (we watched the clock all the time *g*).  As for side-effects, CHers don't use the o2 for extended periods of time, so it's pretty safe.  I think, general rule of thumb is, if after 15 - 20 minutes, if the h/a is still there the o2 isn't working for that one (correct me if I'm wrong?)
As for drugs out of Canada, I would say it's worth a try, especially if you have a US script.  There are plenty of on-line pharmacies to try, or if you live up north, you can drive over.  I get my meds (non-ch) in Mexico, and haven't had any problems.  
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss