Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just found out... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Just found out...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just found out...  (Read 357 times)
Fapple21K
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Just found out...
« on: May 18th, 2005, 10:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, I am new to this whole site and I will probably be frequent visitor.  My fiance, started getting cluster headaches about 2 months ago.  I kept taking him to the doctors office but they kept dianosing it as a sinus infection.  Last night was the worst it had ever been and again we took him to the hospital.  Finally, some releif they gave him a cat scan and then diagnosed him with cluster headaches.  They told us that he is to not eat MSG anymore and no drinking for two months, prescribed 600 mg Ibprophen, and made an appt. with a neorologist.  My fiance is only 25 and I pray that this doesn't last forever, is there any additional things that we can do to make these headached not occur as often?  
Thank you....
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Just found out...
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2005, 11:08am »

well, if an ER doc gave him ibuprophen and told him to avoid MSG, then it sounds like he/she knows very little about clusters.  Kinda like peeing on a forest fire, a "prescription" like that.   Roll Eyes

Take the cluster quiz in the button to the left here and tell us if he matches the symptoms of cluster.  If he does, the standard battle plan is oxygen, imitrex and a preventative such as verapamil or lithium.  

Do some reading, Fapple - if this IS cluster - Advil and advoiding MSG is not going to help him.  You're going to need more weapons in your arsenal.  Get him an appointment with a cluster knowledgeable neurologist.  At www.clusterheadaches.org, there is a list of these docs in the first menu above the map, organized by location.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Just found out...
« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2005, 12:16pm »

Hang in there new friend!!!

Be there for him the best you can but never forget to take care of you.

I am sorry to say this but if it is CH then it will most likely re-occur through out life. Therefore you have found the right place and must READ READ READ!!! Education will be just as much of a weapon as the meds will Wink It is not a curable disease but for most it is certainly very treatable!

My wife of 6 months found this place (prior to getting married) and has found as much support as I have and though I can't necessarily understand what it is from your persepctive there are many angels like Margi who do.

This is  a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to him & doctor!!!  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!    

FIGHT FOR Oxygen DO not take NO for an answer...    
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

(taken from my man Gator)
Here is a link to some non-prescription alternatives different people have used to help with the pain:  
[url]  
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm [/url]

If he is currently taking medications, I would suggest you/him talk with the doctor before taking any of the nutritional supplements.  At the very least check for interactions at a website such as:  

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home/AllAboutDrugs

Nutritional supplements can interact with prescription meds just the same as some prescription meds interact with each other.  Better safe than sorry where your/his health is concerned.  

Educate your doc and/or find a CH familiar doc!    

Hugs and best wishes,  

Eric  
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss