Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « thyroid connections »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   thyroid connections
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: thyroid connections  (Read 329 times)
daughters
New Board Newbie
USA 

thyroid connections
« on: Aug 11th, 2005, 2:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm very new to this whole thing both posting and caring for a ch patient.  My grandfather has been dealing w/ them since '77 , and has recently started a new cycle for the 1st time in 2 1/2 years.  Due to health problems my mom and I have become even more involved in his life for past 2 years or so.  This is the first time though that we have had to deal w/ clusters "face to face" and I honestly don't know what to do.  Thyroid issues and even his emphasima are fairly straight forward. These attacks are a whole new thing, they scare me literally.  Its hard to see your grandpa crying and hitting himself.  There really is nothing we can do right?  I mean if you even touch him it makes it worse.  in the past hes been on lithium & every thing else under the sun. They just started him on varapamil Mon. and he swears it made them worse.  We went for a steriod type shot yesterday and last nights attacks  seemed never ending.  I'm rambling sorry.  I guess my biggest question is, has anyone ever noticed a corralation between hyper thyroidism and ch's?  I went all over this sight but didn't find anything related to thyroids and ch's.  Of course I may have missed it there is just so much here to digest I don't know where to even start.  Grandpa seems to think that as soon as they regulated his thyroid his ch's came back. (within 2 weeks)  It could be just a coincidence but, I thought I should look into it.  Anything to make this stop, I don't know how he has lived w/ these for so long.  Ok I'll stop going on and on, just tired I think.  If anyone has any answers I would appreciate them more then I could ever say.Thanks
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: thyroid connections
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 3:05pm »

Hi, so sorry to hear your family is having to deal with cluster.  I sure wouldn't want to wish it on anyone.

To my knowledge, it's not directly connected to thyroid, yet more specifically to a different hypothalmus.  Now, having said that, he could be experiencing a reaction to thyroid meds.  I've been at this website since 1998 and I honestly don't ever recall anyone mentioning a connection to thyroid meds though.  What's more probable, is that he's just recently come out of a remission - cluster does that - it will lay dormant for a period of months or years and then come back out of the blue.  Your grampa is trying to look for a reason where there really isn't one.  It just happens.  we wish we knew why, because then maybe we could stop it!

You say he has emphasema?  Is he using oxygen?  Would he be able to up his flow rate and deliver it through a non-rebreather mask?  Reason I ask is that is the recommended plan for a clusterhead, but I'm not sure if someone with emphasema can handle the higher flow rate.  Worth talking to a respiratory therapist.  Oxygen is a great cluster abortive.

The triptans drugs (Imitrex, zomig, etc.) are also popular abortives but not for anyone with any heart problems.  

What you CAN do for him is talk to him when he's not having a headache and ask him if you could bring him an icebag for the back of his neck and a glass of cold water.  The cool seems to really help them deal with the panic aspect of cluster and it also does help to keep the pain down to a dull roar.  Tell him that if he is hitting himself, he's also increasing his blood pressure and therefore, also the pain.  It's very difficult for them to remain calm during attack but it really is a HUGE help if they can make themselves do that.  A bag of frozen peas works in a pinch of you don't have ice pack.  It can mould to the shape of his eye (where the pain is) and he can hold it directly there.  Honestly, it really does help.

Last and most certainly not least, bring him here.  Show him that he is not alone and that there are other ways of dealing with his pain.  One of the best things in treatment is knowing that others intimately and first handedly understand what HE is going through.

If he's getting hit in the middle of the night, melatonin, benadryl or dramamine can help him avoid that.  There has also been success with kudzu root and magic mushrooms, but he should be totally med free to try either one (although we do have folks using verapamil and trying one or the other).  

YOUR best defense is education.  Read everything you can find on cluster here in the buttons to the left and over at the OUCH website www.clusterheadaches.org.  You can't stop his pain but you CAN learn about it and what we all do to cope with life here in Clusteropolis.

keep talking - we're here to help!

You say he's on verapamil.  That's good, but it does take awhile to get working in the system.  If he had a steroid shot, that could have cause escalated activity.  Neuros usually prefer to give steroids in the form of a pill (prednisone) and taper up to 60mgs and then off it just as quickly.  That can sometimes break a cycle, but when they go off it again, it usually comes back.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 6:24pm »

Hey...

I am sorry that your grandfather has these headaches - you sound like a great granddaughter though, helping where you can. Good job!

That being said, I know that I am not a supporter but I am a sufferer - I asked the same thing about clusters being related somehow to thyroid problems. I asked Dr. Rosen this at the convention and he said that they havent reallty found a correlation between the two... that doesnt mean that the possibility isnt there though. I guess that they just havent done the research yet.

The reason why I asked this was because about two months ago I was diagnosed with hypo (I think) Thyroidism - where my thyroid isnt functioning right, not producing enough of what ever it makes. They put me on meds for it, not sure if they are working yet. This seems to run in families, I think, as my mom has the same thing. Anyways, I have been chronic for three years and only had the thyroid problem for three months.. dont know if there is a connection.

Anyways, I am rambling,. But when I researched about the thyroid I learned that though it works alot with metabolism, it also works with the hypothalmus - interesting since CH seems to be caused by the hypothalmus... coincidence, maybe, dont know but it is interesting. And I have talked with a few people who ask the same thing, is there a connection.  

Margi is right, the new medication could be causing something...I havent noticed any effect from the thyroid medication but my clusters have gotten worse... of course my clusters seem to run in their own cycles and it is time for them to go up some..

I have written enough now, sorry for rambling. I wish you and your grandfather the best and I hope that this cycle goes away as fast as it came. And read what Margi said, he definelty should try the O2 - though if he has emphysema than he probably has O2 - just make to use a non-rebreathable mask.  

And the best thing, besides research, that you can do for him is offering support like you are - be there when the attack ends and let him know that you arent alone. Supporters are great at that and us sufferers appreciate that more than we can say!  

Good luck!

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
millie the episodic
New Board Junior
USA 

God Bless all CH victims!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 12:21am »

I am a supporter and a sufferer.  Wink If it is at all possible after you get the ice pack (peas), could you try to give your grandpa some space. No on likes to be watched while the hell is going on. There IS nothing you can do after it happens, and he will not want you to witness it. He will eventually forget the episode, but you won't. It can sometimes be degrading too. Who wants someone watching them when they are at their worst. I love that you love your grandfather and are trying to help him. Please stay with us and maybe someone can help you or maybe you will be able to help one of us. Praying for pain free days for him.  Millie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss