Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « why isnt my mom more supporting? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   why isnt my mom more supporting?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: why isnt my mom more supporting?  (Read 348 times)
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

why isnt my mom more supporting?
« on: Feb 25th, 2006, 1:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

this is directed just to the mothers of sufferers, but all else are welcome to comment.

ive suffered all most to my wits end every year from march to june for almost 6 years.  throughout this time i have lived with my mom and 12 y/o sister (who has suffered from migraines for 1 year.)  

i have tried to talk to my mom about my attacks and lashed out about the help i didnt get from doctor #1, the little bit of help i got from doctor #2, why isn't neuro #1 listening to me.  read this doesnt this sound like me and 6 years later this is finally what neuro #2 and doctor #3 said is wrong with me.  but she doesnt seem to listen, or doesnt seem to care.  

i printed out the letter to co workers and friends and left it on the table before she went to work, i got up and it was still there.

my little sister has suffered from migraines for the past year and is seeing the pediatric neuro in neuro #1's office.  all the info that i find on migraines i try to share it with her.  i bought her a book to keep a migraine diary and through that they found out that her triggers were allergies.

i support all migraine research and when i buy a t shirt or bracelet i buy 2 (one for lil sis and one for me).   i tell my sister that we have to support people like us, and tht we have to educate the people that dont know.

but why is the one person that needs to know in my life, and that i need support from wanting to stay in the closet.  im not asking for special treatment or pity.  i feel happy when i find out new info, or when i get put on a new med.  i was estatic when neuro #2 said  "CLUSTER" that means progress to me.  it was more than i knew 6 years ago.  

im just asking for understanding and "ok,  tessa's head hurts turn down the tv" or "hows the new meds tessa."  then i can be left alone to battle my demons.  knowing that there is someone in the other room with a sword thats fighting for me too.
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

Re: why isnt my mom more supporting?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 9:27am »

Tessa,
May I first say that I am sorry you suffer so.  I mean that not only in the physical aspects but the parts that mess with your head too.  You are doing a fine job of taking care of business and should be commended on that.

On to Mom; It sounds like your Mom is alone with your 12 year old sister.  True?  If that is so it may be that she is depressed and could use some antidepressant to make her participate more in life.  Or, it could be the way she was raised.  Some people grew up in a home where everyone kept their distance and she may not know how to be that attentive.  All I am saying is it isn't your fault.  Your Mom is probably caring about you as much as she knows how.  It is hard to find that kind of support in someone who doesn't have clusters.  You can always find that kind of support here.

Bless you!
Write if you want.
Kayarr2k@yahoo.com

Kimberly
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 9:29am »

PS,

Keep it up with your sisterSmiley  You are Great!
IP Logged

tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:11pm »

i really dont think that my mom is depressed.  and my family is pretty tight knit.  its just the 3 of us since our dads in the military.
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 1:00pm »

Tessa,

Just remember our parents are just human.  They do the best they can with what they have to work with.  Talk to her about what you and your sister need.  Keep helping your sister and  for your own good please try to not harbor any resentment.  That only hurts you.
IP Logged

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 3:17pm »

sometimes, when people don't know what to do, they end up doing nothing . .. it's kind of a catch-22 . . .if I do the wrong thing, I hurt them . . .I don't know what to do, so I will probably do the wrong thing . . .I don't understand what's going on and I have no answers, so if I say something, I'm probably saying the wrong thing . .. sooooooooooooooo if I play 'ostritch' (my mother should have had long legs, a long neck, and feathers *G*) then I can just keep doing what I'm doing .. .  
I think that leaving out information is good . . .but when I'm overwhelmed, it just looks like one more thing added to the toooooooooo much to do already.   Maybe just letting your mom know, hey, I would really like to talk to you about what's going on . . .or, when you ask about X it really helps me feel supported . .. or, I know you don't have the answers mom, and neither do I, but just knowing you're here for me really helps . ..  

As a supporter, I know that the most helpless feeling in the world is watching my loved one get slammed and my not being able to kick the beast's @$$ . . .(and I am just as educated on CH as my partner, maybe more . .other than the actual h/a itself) . . .

*big ole hugs* hang in there honey, and keep supporting your sis . . .you two can be the rock for the other to lean on . .. and mom will do what mom can do . . .maybe you could even leave this site up on the computer some time?  share it with her in a non-threatening way?

*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
ABarham
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

weezerbarham  

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 4:37pm »

Tessa  -  You hang with this group and you will get support.  I know it is not the same thing as having your mother's support but it beats nothing.  Supporting my son has not always come easy.  No one "outside" can possibly understand the pain you suffer.  But this group has certainly opened my eyes and led me in a direction of more help.  It breaks my heart everytime I see a hit coming.  I think I almost know before he does.  Yet, there is nothing I can do except to be there for him and to do whatever he asks.  I think that leaving this  board up for your mother to see is a good suggestion.  Maybe she doesn't know that there is support here for her too.  We can all help each other understand.  When you know there is nothing you can do to "fix it", as a mother that sometimes feels like failure and you never want to feel that you have failed your child.  Let her know we are here for both of you.  
You are a wonderful sister, be sure to keep up that support.  

Hang with us kiddo.

IP Logged

Louise
Mother of CH son
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss