Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hypnosis (self hypnosis) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   hypnosis (self hypnosis)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hypnosis (self hypnosis)  (Read 2403 times)
wildhaus_wife
New Board Newbie
Switzerland 

hypnosis (self hypnosis)
« on: Apr 21st, 2006, 1:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi  
we just got back from the hospital where Michael gets his almost weekly GLOA therapy (looong needle stuck into him entering at his throat ending up at the top of the spine by his head) we've been doing this for over six months now and were almost certain this is what helped him reduce the pain levels .....
as last weeks therapy did not do any good and his hits got stronger and more frequent the anesthesiologist and 'pain therapist' suggested we stop and see how it develops without.

NOW: his suggestion: we might see a friend of his - a doctor at the same hospital who has learned hypnosis as one of her side kicks and according to him, has had some very good results using hypnosis as a more or less 'self administered hypnosis' she initiates for patients who suffer from any kind of pains.  

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE GETTING HIS CH TO TRY THIS???

I have an uncle in my family who does this ....but every mention of him is shrugged off immediately - I understand that he refuses to even try - being part of the family and all......

but after all: it's worth a try isn't it?? prerogative for something like this to work is however: he needs to believe in it - mind over body you say i believe.....

would welcome any kind of experiences anynody made with this subject...

wish you all a great weekend!
Marta
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: hypnosis (self hypnosis)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2006, 6:59pm »

Marta,  

I have never heard of this GLOA therapy   you speak of.  It sounds almost sadistic to me.  Could you expound a little more on what this is supposed to do to relieve the pain of cluster headaches or anyting else for that matter?

Cluster headaches are caused by a deformed hypothalmus gland which results in Seratonin levels going haywire.   I would have a hard time believing that hypnosis could change that.    But then again I have been wrong before and I know that all of us will try almost anything.

Some people I know have tried vinegar and blue cheese smeared all over their chest.  Might make a great salad dressing but I hardly think it would do squat for a CH.

By the way.........I cannot wait to meet you in Milwaukee.   Michael speaks so highly of you and he needs to be hugged for what he sent me to help others with.   Wink

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
wildhaus_wife
New Board Newbie
Switzerland 

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 1:44pm »

Hi Linda

we've just sent you via e-mail a few medical articles about GLOA - hope they make sense as we ran them through a translator from German to English....

Thanks for your feedback on above topic

this MIND OVER BODY -thing simply has always impressed and intrigued me - and knowing my hubby i just think if someone can handle his pain through his mind - he would be the one who could do it.
Would be nice to hear if somebody has had any experiences with this.

Marta Huh
IP Logged
wildhaus_wife
New Board Newbie
Switzerland 

« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2006, 8:45am »

well, Michael has an appointment June 9th with the anesthesiologist who will try through Hypnosis to:

-> focus: to be able to bear the pain and frustration - but foremost to try and reduce his fright of getting hit anytime, anywhere

I'll keep who ever is interested posted on the results - maybe by the time he goes to the convention he can give you all some more info about it.......I'm just hoping that it will WORK!!!
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2006, 8:46am by wildhaus_wife » IP Logged
deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: May 28th, 2006, 10:33am »

GLOA is used primarily in the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia.  A needle is introduced through the front of the neck and drugs are injected into the site.  It is basically a form of acupuncture (I wasn't able to find anything about GLOA therapy and ch).  

Btw, I didn't know that ch is caused by a deformed hypothalmus (I thought that it was a theory).

'darlin
IP Logged

If it weren't for the gutter, y mind would be homeless.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v123/tribander_3/

You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

no1ino
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 6:19pm »

my fiance swears by hypnosis, he even learned self hypnosis, it worked for a while.  Then he stated to let it slip and got demotivated.  It's hard to hypnotise yourself when your head hurts so bad you wanna die.  Maybe a proffesional hypnotist is the way to go.  Good luck, hope it works out.
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 7:43pm »

A fellow named "CHvsTN" posted a note about self-hypnosis in the "Coping" thread over on the CH Specific Board.  Sounds as if he may know something about it.

I've never been able to hypnotize myself into enough of a trance to make the pain go away or render it unnoticeable.  I've tried it, along with pretty much everything else one might think of.

I can make myself relax, stop pacing, and sit, and then distract myself from the focal point of the pain to some extent, but that's about it.  Only works for me on anything under a Kip 8, though.  

My experience with self-hypnosis, for what it's worth.

Best regards,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
wildhaus_wife
New Board Newbie
Switzerland 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 4:32pm »

after his 4th visit within the last 4 month; this is what Michael, my husband,  posted:  
and other psychologically unwelcome situations. I can’t say that I have gained total
control over my fears or anxieties, but I do have a much easyer time dealing with
the situation.

In now way am I advocating or promoting any type of treatment!

It’s just that sleep is coming better and easier even so I know I will be kicked out of
sleep after an hour or so….. and the mood swings are mostly under control: in a very short sentence:
Life is even more beautiful for my family and me, even if I am going trough rough times....

==> me and the kids have also noticed the same on him; he deals with the hits and whats really getting him: the shadows - alot better than 4 month ago - he seems to have put his CH in 2nd place in his life now - we the familiy are back to being No. 1   Smiley

Marta
IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 8:48am »

on Sep 29th, 2006, 4:32pm, wildhaus_wife wrote:
after his 4th visit within the last 4 month; this is what Michael, my husband,  posted:  
and other psychologically unwelcome situations. I can’t say that I have gained total
control over my fears or anxieties, but I do have a much easyer time dealing with
the situation.

In now way am I advocating or promoting any type of treatment!

It’s just that sleep is coming better and easier even so I know I will be kicked out of
sleep after an hour or so….. and the mood swings are mostly under control: in a very short sentence:
Life is even more beautiful for my family and me, even if I am going trough rough times....

==> me and the kids have also noticed the same on him; he deals with the hits and whats really getting him: the shadows - alot better than 4 month ago - he seems to have put his CH in 2nd place in his life now - we the familiy are back to being No. 1   Smiley

Marta

That is wonderful to hear Marta ! Congratulations to both of you for having learnt how to deal with the condition as a winner, a warrior and not a victim.

Painfree wishes and prayers to you all.

Annette
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss