Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Brand New Supporter, Please help! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Brand New Supporter, Please help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brand New Supporter, Please help!  (Read 1152 times)
BlaineD
New Board Newbie
Canada 

A Supporter for anyone who needs support

Brand New Supporter, Please help!
« on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone!

I've read a lot of posts on this site today, and let me tell you I've never seen so many people come together to help others, it's really fasinating, and I would like to give a huge congrats to all the sufferers, because it is amazing that you guys can get through something so terrible.  And to the supporters, I hope to be half as good as all of you are.

Alright, I am a brand spankin' new supporter.  My best friend is 18 years old and she suffers from episodal CH since the age of 12 i believe, and just last night she started her cycle and its the first time that she's had her cycle in the time I've known her (i've only known here about a year).  And I have NO idea what I can do for her.  I feel so terrible because I hate knowing that she's in so much pain and yet there is nothing I can do.  I took some advice from some posts, like sending e-mails to tell her that she's going to be okay, and that I'll be here with open arms when this is all over.  

Now the only problem I've found with the site is the majority of people seem to be either dating or married to their CHer, but I havn't been able to find any friend supporters with advice.  So, I'm hoping that someone can help me, anything would be awesome.  I've done some research on CH, but not a whole lot (i don't know what's reliable information on the internet).

Thanks everyone, and to the CHer's, for what its worth, I'm proud of you, that you have the ability and strength to get through you're episodes, I honestly don't think I could do it.

Blaine Diggens
IP Logged
Daddys_Devil

Email

Re: Brand New Supporter, Please help!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey there Blaine! My name's Felicia and I support for 3. Two of them are my dad and stepmom and another is a friend that I found here. I totally know what you're going through. The best thing you can do is to sit back, stay out of her way, and have what ever she needs right when she needs it. Yeah its a little scary your first time. Hell anytime for that matter. The first time I think I saw one was when I was about 7 or 8. I'm 14 now and it still scares me to death everytime one of my suffers gets hit. You're lucky. You've got 1. I've got 3. Its a bitchwhen all 3 get hit at once. Trust me. Listen to the others around here. They know a lot more about meds and other things that aren't my best topics. Hang in there.

Always,
Felicia  Cool
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 1:16pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:21am, BlaineD wrote:
 I feel so terrible because I hate knowing that she's in so much pain and yet there is nothing I can do.  I took some advice from some posts, like sending e-mails to tell her that she's going to be okay, and that I'll be here with open arms when this is all over.  

Hey, Blaine - one thing you can do is promise her that you'll be there for her WHILE it's going on, too - not just only when it's all over.  I know you probably meant that, but I also know that clusterheads need extra love when they're in cycle, too.  Good for you for being such an awesome friend to her.  Please tell her about this place too and encourage her to visit.  

Hey, I've got cousins with the surname Diggens....they were originally from Calgary, moved to Leduc and are now back in Calgary.  My cousin's name is Heather and she was married to Larry until he died.  Any relation?  
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:13pm »

Quote:
And I have NO idea what I can do for her.  I feel so terrible because I hate knowing that she's in so much pain and yet there is nothing I can do.

WRONG.   Grin  There is a lot that you can do.  Research around this site and get familiar with all the medications, oxygen tips, cold or heat packs, strong coffee or energy drinks, etc.  and then ask her what she has tried.  You will then be informed enough to maybe suggest something that she or her Dr. haven't thought about.

You do not have to be married or in a relationship in order to be a supporter.  I would have done awaay with myself a LONG time ago if it weren't for my friends right here.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
BlaineD
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:44pm »

Thanks a lot guys for the advice, yestarday was the first time that I'd ever had to deal with the demon, and I wasn't even there!  We were talking on msn, and she all of a sudden just freaked out at me, and i was just trying to help (this is before i found this site Wink, so i had NO idea what to do) and I really took it personally, but I've been reading around the site more and more and have found that almost every supporter has to go through that, and thats what we do!  But, I would like some more help.  I've never actually seen an attack (well i watched the clip of Chuck and let me tell you that scared me stiff, and my friend was telling me that that wasn't too bad of one), my friend won't let me go over to see her, she's too afraid that she'll do something to me, or say something to me.  So I guess what I'm wondering is, what does it feel like exactly?  I've read online that it feels like a hot piece of metal being forced into your eye, is that true?  I just think i might be able to help her more if I actually knew what it felt like.  

And to Margi, you were right, that is what I meant, but when i reread the email I sent, it really didn't sound like it.  So i immediately sent her another email, to give her the extra support.  And I can't think of any of my family who live in Calgary, my Diggens family is all from Ocean Falls, BC.  Too bad though.

Thanks again guys,

Love to everyone,

Blaine
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:03pm »

Let me get this straight.   Your friend was telling you that the video of Chuck was "not a bad one" ?????

Well except for the fact that he was not banging his head into the walls like a lot of us do....I'd say that  what she said was..uh.., um...o.k.  I do not have the words here.    Huh Huh

Blaine, that was a very intense video and poor Chuck goes through that about 10 times a day.

I suggest that maybe you should see your friend while she's fighting the beast. Get her a ice pack, brew a pot of coffee and then stay with-in earshot.

Undecided
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:11pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:44pm, BlaineD wrote:
I just think i might be able to help her more if I actually knew what it felt like.  

Believe me, you dont want to know!!!

I could cut your leg off with a blow torch and that still wouldnt be enough pain to equal.

I thank you for being there for a clusterhead, but if she wants her space give it to her.

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:27pm »

You may also like to invite her here.  I can promise we'll make her welcome.

And thanks for caring enough to find us yourself.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
BlaineD
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:32am »

on Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:03pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Let me get this straight.   Your friend was telling you that the video of Chuck was "not a bad one" ?????

Well except for the fact that he was not banging his head into the walls like a lot of us do....I'd say that  what she said was..uh.., um...o.k.  I do not have the words here.    Huh Huh

Blaine, that was a very intense video and poor Chuck goes through that about 10 times a day.

Undecided

Hi Linda,  
I should have been a little more careful with my words.  I understand that Chuck goes through a terrible time, what I think my friend meant to say was that thats not as bad as it can get.  I'm saying I think this is what she meant because she got hit right after saying that, and she was saying that she could feel one coming on right before she talked about Chuck.  But I can assure you, that her heart, as well as mine goes out to Chuck, and his bravery.  So I apologize.  

Furthermore, thank you for your advice AussieBrain, I will definately tell her to join up, once she gets the energy to of course.    

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.  

Blaine  

IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 2:33pm »

No need to apologize Blaine. I understood what you were telling me that she said.

Quote:
meant to say was that thats not as bad as it can get.

It's pretty accurate to me, and I've been chronic for 19 years.  (except, as I said, for the head-banging part)  of which I do almost every time.  Undecided

and I agree it will help her a lot if you can convince her to come here for information and for support as soon as she is able.    

I commend you for trying to help and being a great friend to her.  High-five to you Blaine.
 thumbsup
Linda
IP Logged

Daddys_Devil

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Linda's right Blaine. She should definatly check in around here and let us know when she does so that we can find her. Trust us. Most of us want to help. There are good peple here and if your friend finds the right ones she'll be just fine. Send me a PM if you need some supporting advice. I'm always around and ready to help. We're all one family here and we are all both sufferers and supporters. Hang in there. Mcuh strangth headed your way.

Always,
Felicia  Cool
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2006, 9:47pm by devilsdaughter » IP Logged
BlaineD
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:41pm »

on Sep 24th, 2006, 9:47pm, Daddys_Devil wrote:
We're all one family here and we are all both sufferers and supporters. Hang in there.

Thanks a lot Daddys_Devil; you're right it really does feel like one big family, and man am I proud to be apart of it!  Grin  Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful to me and given me the strength to continue supporting my CHer and given me such awesome advice, I deeply appreciate it.  And I will definately tell her to join up on this site once she feels up to it.

Thanks again,  Love to you all,

Blaine  
IP Logged
BlaineD
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #12 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 12:29am »

Hey everyone,  I'm curious to know if anyone has ever heard of Ativan (a drug which induces sleep) helping or hurting a CHer?  Seeing as it induces sleep (and CH can be brought about by REM sleep) I would assume that it would cause more HA, but I'm just curious to know if anyone has heard, or experienced different.

Thanks a lot, love to all,

Blaine
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2006, 12:30am by BlaineD » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss