Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Silent Heroes »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Silent Heroes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Silent Heroes  (Read 1162 times)
Annikins
New Board Newbie
USA 

Brain Coach and MOM

WWW Email

Silent Heroes
« on: Jan 12th, 2007, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hardships are where we learn the most—they mold us into outstanding human beings that we would not be otherwise.  Why is there such a lack of compassion, understanding, virtue and moral integrity from those who do NOT have such issues for those that DO?  Would that they could experience a cluster headache for just one hour.  Wouldn’t it change their lives?  My son is the bravest person that I know.  I suspect that many of you are heroes, both those suffering and the loving family members that are supporting sufferers.  My heart goes out to all of you.  I am not alone, am I?  I haven’t done this web thing before, but I need someone to talk to.  I am a 52 year old mom with a son age 21 who has had cluster headaches for five years now.  At first they were episodic, but they became chronic three long years ago.  Brett tried to live on his own when he turned 19.  I was terrified that he would not be able to take care of himself.  He nearly starved to death because he wouldn’t tell me he had lost another job and couldn’t feed himself.  We’ve tried Varapimil, oxygen, Depakote, Imitrex injections (help sometimes), and lots of others I can’t remember at the moment.  I’m not looking for medical advice, but emotional support.  He recently underwent nerve surgery and we are waiting to see if it is effective.  It’s just that I have given total emotional support when no one—and I mean NO ONE—else in our family has.  Brett’s natural father, my fiancé, my oldest son, they all think it is in his head to some extent despite reiterating to them innumerable times that this is a physically generated problem from the hypothalamus causing an overstimulated response.  Fear, anger, certainly can set it off, but are not the cause.  I finally got enough support to get these men in Brett’s life to pay for surgery and can only pray that it may help.  In reality, I am prepared to support Brett throughout his life.  I hope to provide enough money to set up a trust to take care of him after I’m gone.  The tough part just now is that a beautiful little baby granddaughter has been born, Aeryn Tiffany.  Brett’s girlfriend just couldn’t take the headaches any more and kicked Brett out.  Now baby (12 weeks old) and son both have moved in with me and so, of course, my fiancé is having a major “I don’t want the responsibility” attack and threatening to oust us all.  Normally, even that would not phase me as I am a very strong person.  Spiritually, I know that God is with me on this journey and will always be with me.  I just hate the fact that I am only just recovering from major surgery myself—silicone poisoning which came from a breast implant rupture.  Although my I.Q. rivals that of Bill Gates (sorry if you dislike the guy, but he IS smart), the silicone causes memory lapses.  I’m also tired, down and exhausted at 6 months past the surgery.  I have to follow this crazy raw juice, raw food diet and then I’m ok, but I don’t have time for all of that, Brett and working to keep my business going to pay for everything. My boyfriend has been helping since the surgery but has made it clear I’m on my own financially to deal with this.  Of course, Brett doesn’t have any insurance and I have paid cash for all medication and care.  There goes that retirement!  No wonder my boyfriend is considering taking a hike!  I’m going to submit for some grants whether I have the energy or not, going to make this work even if I have to do it myself, but……I could use some friends who understand and can say something positive about all this. Thanks for listening!  E-mails welcome to anne_romney@hotmail.com.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2007, 7:52pm by Annikins » IP Logged
crftymom
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Proud wife of a Navy Man!!

Email

Re: Silent Heroes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 8:24pm »

Welcome to you and your son.  Sorry you have to be here.  Encourage him to hop on here too.  There is a lot of help and support for both of you through this wonderful family.  I can't tell you how much they have helped me deal with son, and they too will do the same for you if you let them.  
PS.. Check your e-mail.
IP Logged
Broken
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 9:09pm »

Hang in there my friend. Things will get better. I promise. If you need I'm here for you. We all are. I know exactly where you're at. I support for 3 and it's not easy when even one is hurting. PM me if you need to talk or anything. I'm always around and there are others here that will help you when you ask. Keep your chin up, face death with a smile, fight all of hell, never go down swinging, and don't ever give up. Vibes and love on the way to you and your's.

Broken
IP Logged

Holding on his hand, when every second of everyday I feel like letting go.

You hurt me before.Never again.I won't give up and I sure as h*ll won't let you win!

My Poems and Stories at:http://www.quizilla.com/users/hiddeninsight/stuff/
Annikins
New Board Newbie
USA 

Brain Coach and MOM

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 12:07am »

Thank you kind Ladies for your replies.  Here is a poem I wrote to express my gratitude for your kindness and support:

Marshmallow

A marshmallow,
All toasty warm and golden brown
Resting on a bumpy stick
Waiting for a hungry kid to take a lick
Could not feel as nice inside as I
When I am warmed by the fire  
Of your golden,
Ever-there
Friendship.

Mary Anne

You see, I reached out and there are others.  Thank you for kind words.  Broken, your heart picture speaks to me.  If you would like to see one like it, please e-mail me.  anne_romney@hotmail.com.  'nite ladies.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 3:45am »

I'm not an "official supporter" in the sense of the term used here, in that I don't support a cluster sufferer at home, I am the support"ed"....but just a couple comments if I may...

1. I don't think that we can consider supporters as "heroes" without that automatically making everyone else that doesn't show support, at best, as "normal."

I think there has to be three levels...
1.Heroes/angels etc (deserving a pedestal)
2.Normal folk (deserving acceptence as middle ground) (showing some empathy but not really able to fully understand)
3. Harmful/deprecating/disrespectful

Be glad for the heroes in your life, learn from them and appreciate them, for they are few, as there should be. (otherwise they'd be "normal"Wink

Accept those that don't understand, and hope that one day they will understand and in turn, be more accepting of you. You might as well, there are billions of them.

Eliminate or ignore those that would be harmful to your persuit of happiness. 3's never become 1's

An interesting thing I noticed about your (anni) opening post. Your early description of the man in your life, was as your fiance. After you noted his lack of desire to undertake some important responsibility, he became your boyfriend.  
Significant? I wouldn't dare to venture a guess or dare to presume anything since I really know nothing of the situation. I just thought it might be something you'd like to ponder.

all the best...
This can be great place for support....hope you find some peace,
Bobw

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 11:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Anne - Welcome to this place!  I noted in your comments, ..."I am not alone, am I?"  The answer to that question is no.   First, like Bob I am not an official supporter either but rather a member of the supported.  A good supporter is invaluable !!!  I am sorry you and your son are having a rough time of it.  

It is unfortunate that some of the people don't or won't try to understand ; however, not everyone will understand the problem.  For those non-understanders that may be hurtful / harmful; thats unnecessary if they can't or won't try to understand the condition they should reserve their opinions.  How can they speak to something of which they have no concept ... Sad  I know that isn't reality especially when dealing with family.  Remind your son to let his dad and I guess soon to be step-dad he may be the one that chooses their nursing home for them someday.... laugh  Got to find the humor when and where you can ...

Thanks for what you continue to do!  Wishing you and Brett all of the best and hope you find peace and renewed strength to battle on!  Never EVER, EVER give up !

Best Regards,

Tony G
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 12:12pm »

Hi Annikins.....welcome to the site.

I'm married to a CHer.  We've been doing this for years.  This board and these wonderful folks have saved us.  We learned how to cope, new meds. that might work, techniques to try, ways to deal,  home remedies,  etc.

There is hope.  My advise is to read, read, read.  There is a wealth of knowledge here and on the OUCH website.  These folks have YEARS of experience dealing and they know more than the doc.'s in some cases.
Knowledge is power......learn all you can.....try new things.  The 'beast' is a smart, mean SOB so you'll just have to help your son stay after it!

Again, welcome......ask questions if you need...there is always someone here to help.

Jackie
IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 8:52pm »

Hi Annikins

Welcome and a big hug to you.  Kiss

My husband is a CHer and this is his first diagnosed cycle. I can relate to you completely as his family refuses to support him or us. His own mother turned her back on him.

I sent her links to this site and several other informations and literally begged her to read them so that she would understand what her own son is going through but she steadfastly refused. Her argument was that she herself has migraine and she knows all there is to know about headaches!  

His grandmother came unannounced one day to "check on us". He had a bad hit while she was here. She sent me out of the room then proceeded to try to stop him rocking by holding onto him, to try to keep him warm by wrapping him up with blankets and try to " positively talk him out of the attack" by telling him to stop moaning and to snap himself out of it !! I thought he was going to hit her ! In the end, he couldnt stand it anymore and ran out of the house. Once the hit was over, he asked her to leave and not to come back !

Your son is very lucky to have you as your supporter. Please do not be swayed by others inability/unwillingness to understand or support. You are his lifeline and you mean a lot to him. Its your love and support that will do more for him than most medications or surgeries.

Please hang in there with him. The condition can be controlled/managed and things will get better.

Hugs to you and your son.

Annette
IP Logged
Annikins
New Board Newbie
USA 

Brain Coach and MOM

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 12:18pm »

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.   Cheesy  I am feeling much better.  Thank you!!!  This is a great forum for information and learning and SUPPORT!  

Tony G, thank you for reminding me that there is humor in all things.  I found my first humor here in thinking that everyone was married to someone named CHer--some giant polygamist thing.  FINALLY figured out what it really means (clusterheader) and DID laugh!!!  Stress definitely affects the mind!

Jackie, thank you for the suggestion to read.  I am and will.  This site was my first exploration.  Knowledge is power!

BB, all I can say is "WOW".  Your situation makes me feel grateful for my own!  People are really bizarre!  Brett and I always run into the "just stop it" syndrome, too.  I find the hardest people are those that have never had a migraine or anything that helps them relate.  You are a wonderful person to be there for your husband.  Good for you!  I'm proud to know you.  Let me know if I can be there for you, too.

Thank you all for reminding me of my blessings.  I am grateful for this beautiful new little girl in our family.  I am grateful for my indomitable spirit and that I know there will be a way to grow and learn and live through it all.  I do believe with all my heart that we are here on earth to better ourselves, so I'll dig deeper for the reasons and let those less understanding live their life, too.  

By the way, the counseling is really helping.  I recommend a good counselor for those sorting out family situations--at least where they are willing to go with you!

May you all feel a warm hug coming back your way...

Mary Anne

IP Logged
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 9:00pm »

Annikins,

Hola!  I am the supporter and Love of a clusterhead.  All of this is very overwhelming.  Your son is lucky to have you in his life.

These people are wonderful and here for you tooSmiley

Kimberly
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 7:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 15th, 2007, 12:18pm, Annikins wrote:
Tony G, thank you for reminding me that there is humor in all things.  I found my first humor here in thinking that everyone was married to someone named CHer--some giant polygamist thing.  FINALLY figured out what it really means (clusterheader) and DID laugh!!!  Stress definitely affects the mind!

Anytime Mary Anne !  Hmm... I guess for those who have spouses with CH... in a way they are kinda married to the Demon as well.... kind of is a polygamist thing if you think about it in that way.... OR it is one of those "for better or worse" things...  Grin  I suspect that is the case  Smiley

Take Care !

Tony
IP Logged
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 1:05am »

Hi and welcome from another clusterhead.  

First of all, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for your son.  I don;t know what I would do without my wife.  As Tony said, it is a "for better or worse" sort of thing.  She is waiting for the better part! Grin  

Please get Brett involved here on the board.  not only reading, but participating.  The support from other clusterheads is invaluable.  your support means the world, but the support from another who knows what he is dealing with from the inside really helps.  

I didn't note where you live, but I would also suggest you try to find a meet and greet in your area if you can and try to make the convention in Richmond this summer.  Meeting another clusterhead/supporter in person is such an amazing thing.  Getting to know another through dots on a phosphor screen just is not the same as meeting one face to face.

Stay strong, be encouraged, and don't forget to take the time to care for yourself.  If you get yourself run down you won''t be able to support either of you!

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
sldrswyfe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Member of O.U.C.H.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 11:54am »

Very insightful and wise Pink...made me "ponder" a bit...

I see Annie's point...it is frustrating to be misunderstood, not understood at all...and left for a condition you cannot help nor asked for.  Im a little sensitive because I had no support system...and lost everything I had...so that explains the nature of my responses at times.

However, I've evolved into a different thinking.  This disease is part of my life and that's the way it is.  Period.

If someone leaves you based solely on the disease...well I don't think they're worth much as a friend or human being...they too will have their own hour of need...or decades of need...whatever the case may be.

Hang on Annie...   Thoughtfully,  Sherri
IP Logged

"Great spirits have always found violent
opposition from the mediocrities." -Einstein

"I'll DIE on MY FEET, before I LIVE on MY KNEES"...thanks Jonny...that meant alot

"Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave?"....Your damn right it does.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss