Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:34pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « any ideas anyone.......? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   any ideas anyone.......?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: any ideas anyone.......?  (Read 697 times)
boxer18
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

any ideas anyone.......?
« on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

well....my mum has cluster ever since i can remember almost every day of her life has she is a chronic.doctors just dont know what to do with her! she is currently having DHE is hospitals every few months but this cant go on as it is causing so many others problems in her body. she has tried everything but now i feel like we are coming to a dead end??
anyone got any ideas????
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:43am by boxer18 » IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

Re: any ideas anyone.......?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 1:28pm »

Hi Boxer...

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  DHE can be rough for sure.

There is an OUCH UK site. Perhaps they can be of more help.

I'm at work on 'dial up'....sorry I can't be of more help.
Someone will come along though....who knows much more than I.

Keep us posted....
Jackie
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 1:46pm »

Hi boxer. I've never used DHE treatments, but I doubt I would because of the potential side effects.
There are a number of safer preventatives available. Verapamil, Lithium, a combination of both, and others.
Look here for some ideas to discuss with her dr.  
http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/medications.htm

Have you visited the ouch-UK site? There are a number of folks there ready to help. They even have a support phone line. Call them!   Smiley

Thanks for being such a good supporter to your mum.  Kiss

hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 2:28pm »

Hi Boxer!

Nani is right you should try to contact your O.U.C.H. because you guys seem to have a lot better medical system and the meds you can take in the UK are different or under different names than those in the US.

Here is the link to O.U.C.H. UK, there is even a helpline where you can call..

http://www.ouchuk.org/html/

Hoping the best for your Mum and thanks for being such a great supporter!  Smiley
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
clusterwife
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 2:57pm »

Hi, my hubby had TN surgery.  he has a remarkable status, even able to go pill free.  He uses 02 when one does hit.  pm me, i'll explain more, lots of sensitive people here at times.  Leah.
IP Logged

Maybe through me he can find the truth, for I will always try.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 3:18pm »

Hiya love,

When you say MUM has tried everything what do ya mean?

All meds have side effects.
That is a fact.
What we try to do is find a balance between them and living as functionally as we can.

I am chronic however went med free for the past year and only aborted with O2 with exception to a few times taking a med.

I recently had a hospital stay inwhich I did DHE and if nothing else I am sleepoing through the night again.

I agree about contacting OUCH UK and trying to get an appointment with a doctor whoi is CH knowledgeable

Good luck and hang in there!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
boxer18
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 4:01am »

thanke people its nice to know there are people to talk to!

when i say everything i mean everything! O2,Verapamil, Lithium, but the verapamil gave her heart problems and circulation problems so she was taken off that now she has been put on the DHE which she has been having for 3 1/2 yrs but now thats starting to take its toll, and is only lasting about 4 weeks and in that time she still gets at least 2 headaches a day and she goes back to normal of more then 8-10 a day sometimes more. they said somthing about a operation but we cant get any funding from the local goverment but we are pushing that as hard as we can as that may be the answer!

thanks for the link to ouch that helps me and my brother we are going to phone them tonight together.

thanks  

boxer

x
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 9:59am »

Hi Boxer,
So did you call the UK Help Line last night, then?  They are wonderful people, aren't they?  

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum - this is hard on supporters, especially kids.  Are you young?

I know you've gotten some good advice from the OUCH UK folks, the collective cluster knowledge they have there is unsurpassed and will do their best to point you and your family in the right direction.

One last thing, although you will see the odd success story about surgery, please consider all other available options before you consider it for your Mum, ok?  You will find that most of the success stories are rather recent, and very may well have put the sufferer into a remission.  The kicker there is that there hasn't been enough time passed to prove that the remission is permanent.  There are a few different kinds of surgery and, as yet, we haven't found one that is inconclusively successful.  

There is the gamma knife surgery that deadens the trigeminal nerve - the TN surgery spoken of above, but only on one side.  Quite often cluster comes back on the other side.  There is the deep brain stimulation, in which a pacemaker of sorts is inserted.  Again, no conclusive permanent successs.  There is also the occiptal nerve block and is does also provide relief, albeit temporary.  Surgery should only ever be considered as a last option, ok?

There have been quite a few people reporting long lasting relief from the alternative therapies such as psilocybin mushrooms and various seeds.  These things actually go right to the root of the problem and work on the seratonin levels - the thing that all clusterheads have out of whack.  So far, this is looking to be the most promising of the treatments out there.  Sadly, still illegal but there have been clinical trials done to prove to the powers that be that this route should be considered a viable treatment plan in cluster therapy.  There is more information here:  www.clusterbusters.com.  

You are your Mum's best advocate - there is little that we, as supporters, can do to stop the pain.  But we CAN research the hell out of it and hopefully turn over that rock under which the cure is hiding.  My husband is trying the seeds right now with amazing success.  He's been a clusterhead for close to 30 years now and we are seeing good results so far.  Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and disregard this alternative option, ok?

Hugs to you, hang in there.  If you need to talk off the board, my email is moxie_miss@hotmail.com.

Margi
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss