Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 7:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « newbie needs PC help »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Technical Stuff
   Technical Problems for the Webmaster
(Moderator: DJ)
   newbie needs PC help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: newbie needs PC help  (Read 170 times)
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

newbie needs PC help
« on: Apr 20th, 2004, 4:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey anyone out there...I have now been online 6 whole months and I still have a million questions...if there is anyone with the time and patience,  I would love a mentor!   Just so you know, I am a college grad and basically a pretty quick learner,  just am LOST here,  it may as well be Chinese...and please no offense to anyone!    
    First issue is...how do I know if I even HAVE a firewall installed?  I do pay some minor monthly fee for Norton Anti-virus,  and do install new alerts or whatever on a regular basis.    Anyone with a good sense of humor,  feel free to jump in here...and THANX!     karen
IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
thomas

Email

Re: newbie needs PC help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 6:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello....... Opus...... Dan........ Fubar, I ain't smart enough.
IP Logged
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #2 on: May 14th, 2004, 3:43pm »

Renny,

I might be able to help a little bit.  

Some versions of anti-virus software do include a firewall, although I'm not sure what version of Norton you have.

If you are just running a basic system with a default installation of Norton, you are most likely not protected by a firewall.

If you are running Windows XP on your system, you also have a internet connection firewall that comes with it but you have to turn it on yourself.

Check out this link for an explanation on how to turn it on.
[url]
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/5min/5min-101.mspx[/url]

Some info that would help anyone who reads this to help you is needed.

What Operating system are you using?
What critical updates/service packs have you installed?
Are you on a network?
What version of Nton are you using?
What kind of internet connection do you have? Dial up/DSL/ISDN???

If you have any mor questions, I'll try my best to help.
I know that there are others here who are fellow computer geeks and they would be happy to help also.

Pat
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2004, 8:32am »

Hi Renny,

Pat gave you some good info. If you are running Norton AV, you do not have a firewall. If, on the other hand, you are running Norton Internet Security, you do have a firewall included in that package. I don't believe that you are running NIS though, as you would be getting a lot of configuration pop-ups especially after the initial install.  

If you followed Pat's link and turned on the XP firewall, you are defintely better off than with no firewall- but not much! Have you got a router? If not, you definitely need to install some sort of a third party software firewall- one that blocks incoming and outgoing traffic. Try www.zonelabs.com . It's a free download and easy to use. By the time you read this you'll probably already have solved your firewall problems. I just didn't see too many other posts here, so I decided to respond.  

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. There are a lot of people here who know a hell of a lot more about puters than I do, but I'll be glad to help in anyway I can. Feel free to email me if you want.

PFNAD,

Alley
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss