Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
From an Anonymous Sufferer (Read 35007 times)
seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Re: From an Anonymous Sufferer
Reply #25 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 4:15pm

Sometimes a tight supporter is more uncomfortable than using no supporter at all.............. Wink

Scott

IP Logged

sldrswyfe
CH.com Alumnus

Member of O.U.C.H.

x1|East Norriton|USA|usa|481|124|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #26 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 12:44pm

exactly sb  Wink

"Great spirits have always found violent && opposition from the mediocrities." -Einstein&&&&"I'll DIE on MY FEET, before I LIVE on MY KNEES"...thanks Jonny...that meant alot&&&&"Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave?"....Your damn right it does.
IP Logged

Kenny
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Cape Coral|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
Reply #27 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 11:53am

My husband has been suffering from CH for 5 years.  It took 2 Neurologists and 2 Family Physicians to try and diagnose it, but none of them could see past "Migrains"  Because of this website, I diagnosed his problem and immediately started reading as much as possible on the subject.  I printed out the materials and took them to our family physician.  We are getting help for him (no cures-but Imitrex shots work while they last) but have been frustrated by my inability to help him when he goes through a bad cluster.  Sometimes I have to go for a walk just to keep from crying in front of him!  Your suggestions are welcome here.    Kiss

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Re:  From an Anonymous Sufferer
Reply #28 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 2:33pm

Kenny wrote on Aug 28th, 2007 at 11:53am:
My husband has been suffering from CH for 5 years.  It took 2 Neurologists and 2 Family Physicians to try and diagnose it, but none of them could see past "Migrains"  Because of this website, I diagnosed his problem and immediately started reading as much as possible on the subject.  I printed out the materials and took them to our family physician.  We are getting help for him (no cures-but Imitrex shots work while they last) but have been frustrated by my inability to help him when he goes through a bad cluster.  Sometimes I have to go for a walk just to keep from crying in front of him!  Your suggestions are welcome here.    Kiss

Welcome Kenny!

I know all about going for walks or sitting on the porch crying when my dear is in cycle.  It's what we do.

As you know from reading here there is no cure.  But there is treatment and remission and help-aplenty.  I would encourage him to come here and read and digest and learn all he can.  Knowledge is power and can help during the darkest cycles.

My largest frustration, like yours, is not being able to help.  My clusterhead wants to be left alone and that's what I do.  It goes against everything in my nature to walk away from this beast but if that's what my dear wants, then that's what I'll do . . . thus the walks and the porch  Undecided.

I would also encourage you to have a frank discussion about his needs during an attack.  He may not want you near but "near-by."  Or he may like a massage or hot coffee or whatever.  Find out what he wants from you and how best to facilitate it - even if it means he wants you to take a walk.  At least you KNOW and can respond to this creepy beast who interrupts our lives.

Keep reading and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Someone here will always be by shortly to help.

Welcome to the family.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

frozzy
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Grand Junction|USA||0|0|CO,Colorado
Reply #29 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 3:34pm

I have just signed on so I can post in the boards.  My husband has had CH for about 10 years.  Diagnosed 6 years ago.  He is in a cluster right now, for about 4 weeks.  We have 2-4 weeks left of this life-sucking episode.  He just went back to the doc today, usual stuff is not working this time.  Looking into getting O2.  I hope it works.  My problem is to try to get hubby to not think its his fault when we can't go and do things.  He keeps apologizing, I keep telling him its okay, its not your fault.  I can see him ageing before my eyes, each episode (2x year) takes its toll.  I'm starting to cry as I type this, I'm at work and can't get him out of my head.  I know I have to be the strong one, and keep reminding him that it will be over in a few weeks, and to hang in there.  I feel guilty when I get a good nights sleep, so helpless that there is nothing I can do but be there when he wants me.  Thanks for letting me unload, none of my friends or family realize the depth of the pain he endures and how soul-sucking it is.  I get regular migraines, so have an inkling but I know its only a glimmer into his world.

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 5:54pm

frozzy wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 3:34pm:
.....  Thanks for letting me unload, none of my friends or family realize the depth of the pain he endures and how soul-sucking it is.  

Hello Frozzy

I am sorry to hear that your husband is in cycle again and the usual meds are not working and that its getting you down.

I understand perfectly how you feel with what you typed up there because I felt exactly the same thing. My husband has CH and his last cycle was more than 8 months long. Many times I thought I couldnt take it anymore, but then somehow I carried on. CHers get pain in their heads, we get pain in our hearts. Both hurt like hell !

Ask him to join the Board and talk to others here, it will help him tremendously. Organise oxygen as quickly as possible. Go for the high flow rate, most starting at 12-15 L/min but some go as high as 25L/min. Apart from it working very well for most in aborting a hit, it also helps cool the face and head and has a calming effect.

Other things help too such as an energy drink slammed down quickly at first sign of a hit, ice cold wet towels applied to the neck and face or for some scalding hot shower can help too.

You can encourage him to drink as much water as possible during the cycle and at the start of the hit. Melatonin at night often helps warding off the night hits. Make sure he eats well, sleeps as much as he can, keeps fit and does suitable exercise. Encourage him to try relaxation techniques, keep the mind clear, focus on the now and here instead of fretting about the next hit.

Apart from meds that his doctor can prescribe, there are a lot of things that you and him can try and do to help make life just that much more bearable. Every little thing helps.

By the way, I am concerned that he has had CH for 10 years and the doctor doesnt know to prescribe him oxygen as yet. Maybe he/she is not that familiar with CH treatment. If the hits are bad, is he on a prednisone taper?  What meds has he tried ?

Keep yourself busy, keep doing the things you normally enjoy. Treat the hits as they come with whatever you have, oxygen, meds, ice, energy drink, strong coffee ...etc. Once they are gone concentrate back on life as normal as possible. You will see that 2-4 weeks will just fly past. Dont keep counting how much further he has got to go with this cycle, keep counting instead each day how many hugs and kisses and cuddles you have given him . They are what that count !  Smiley

For yourself make sure you spend time on your own doing the things you like, get yourself some nice chocolate and some fresh flowers. Go for a walk and enjoy the scenery. Take deep breath and sing whenever you can.

If you feel like crying, my shoulder is always here and ready for you, just drop me an email or a PM  Kiss

Take care, God bless and painfree wishes to you both.

HUGS

IP Logged

Paula
CH.com Junior

x0||USA||||WA,Washington
Reply #31 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 9:37pm

It is amazing how great a childs soul is. I had nobody about 20 years ago, had a small 1 bedroom apt, my son sleep with me, he was about 2 or 3. He would be so quite, I would put milk in a glass for him in the fridge and he would get his own cereal in the morning, watch TV, or play. I even had a time at McDonalds in the parking lot were I had a dance with the devil in the back of an old dodge dart. I tried so hard to keep as much of it from him as I could but kids just know sometimes what is going on. He would tell me that he would buy me a new car and new house and nice furniture and lots of food. It was his way of saying it was OK and he loved me no matter how or where we lived. He is 21 and a very caring man. Women love him. He is very very understanding. But I haven't got my car or house yet! Smiley I am going to have to remind him of that. LOL Anyway, children have beautiful souls.
I have a great supporter now, and all the supporters here. Who could ask for anything more.
Love you all Paula

Love, Paula

IP Logged

RabidClock
CH.com Newbie

:3

x0|Clearwater|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
Reply #32 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:46pm

I'm new to the whole supporter role, but my opinion on the matter is anything worth doing isn't easily done; and I know for a fact this is worth doing.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus&&"Always faithful terrible lizard"
RabidClock  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #33 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:10pm

RabidClock wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:46pm:
I'm new to the whole supporter role, but my opinion on the matter is anything worth doing isn't easily done; and I know for a fact this is worth doing.

That says it all and tell me you are a fine supporter.

Big Hugs,
Jackie

IP Logged

Angie
CH.com Alumnus

Supporter Forever

|Bracebridge|Canada|
Reply #34 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:17pm

RabidClock wrote on Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:46pm:

You are so right, welcome, we will be with you every step of the way.

IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Reply #35 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 2:41pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

Jen-S
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #36 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:38pm

So I haven't seen a whole lot of messages from actual supporters here...just CHeads that rave about theirs. It's been almost three years since the last comment on here, so I don't even know if anyone will read this.

Am I a bad supporter?  Undecided

When my partner is in a cycle (such as he's been for the past four weeks) I hurt just as much as he does, just in a different way. His pain is physical, but it eventually goes away and he's fresh-a-daisy; mine is emotional and it hangs around all the time.

I read an email he sent to my sister regarding our recent vacation. He said his headaches almost ruined our vacation. I laughed at the "almost." As far as I'm concerned it DID ruin our vacation. It was not relaxing. It was not fun. It was torture. I asked him if we could just skip it and stay home since he had just begun a cycle the week before. He insisted we still go. Oh, yay. Yep, lots of fun trapped on the Amtrak with him and his CH; trapped in the rental car with him and his CH; trapped in the hotel room with him and his CH. Lots of fun!!! I know I'm not supposed to say these things and have more sympathy for his pain, but what about my pain?

I will admit that when he gets a headache I roll my eyes and think, "Here we go again. When will this end?" So I set his things out for him, gather up the kids, and head out the door...if he doesn't stop us.

I admire the people that try to hide it from their families so that they don't have to watch. I wish my partner would take a page out of that book. Instead, mostly, he asks us not to leave the house because it makes him feel badly, but then he won't leave the room to suffer on his own. We all have to watch and suffer with him. Misery loves company, right?

I am tired of getting up with the kids in the morning only to find his clothes strewn about the house, his pills and empty Imitrex blister packs strewn all over the countertop, and nasty, used kleenex lying about the general area of the garbage can, but nothing actually making it in there.

I'm tired of making excuses to my friends and coworkers about why I can't go out for fun, or why I can't work for them when they're sick, or why I'm always so crabby lately. I'm tired of lying to people when they ask, "How was your vacation?" "Oh, fun," I say. LIES! But if I tell the truth, I'm just a Debbie Downer, bitching about my boyfriend's headaches. No one wants to hear about it. I can't talk to anyone but him about it and that just makes him feel bad.

The only thing he and I talk about anymore is his headaches. Correction: he talks, I listen and clean up after him. He's very messy when he has a CH, and that's understandable, but when the headache is over, pick up your damned mess. I basically just feel like a nurse-maid. I clean the house, take care of the kids, and make sure he feels good about himself.

When can I start feeling good about myself? I keep all my feelings to myself because I don't want to make him feel worse about his situation but I know I can't do this much longer. I'm tired not just emotionally but physically as well. I feel like a single parent but instead of just having the two kids, I have three. I don't feel like a loving spouse. I don't feel appreciated.

Any help out there? I'd like my family to remain in tact and in order for that to happen, I need some pointers from other supporters, not Clusterheads. Clusterheads are too caught up in themselves to know what it's like to watch this month after month.

Am I a bad supporter?   Cry

IP Logged

demonh8r
CH.com Junior

Never quit fightin

Ohio
Reply #37 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:08pm

You're a terrible supporter. You will never understand his pain unless you go through a cycle yourself. NEVER!
When you married, did your vows include something like " be there for each other in sickness and in health?
You think you have it bad? WOW

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #38 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 3:24pm

Hi Jen.

Sorry you all are having such a rough time. 

I don't know you, Sweetie, so I can't say if you're a bad supporter or not.  My guess is that you are a worn out, beat down supporter.  We, as supporters, tend to suffer some of the same symptoms as our clusterheads.....frustration, exhaustion, depression, anger.  I have a feeling that may be where you are right now.  You're tired out and just want your life back.....so does he, I'm betting.

You need to take at least a few hours just for you.  Do something you enjoy...I don't care if it's a walk in the park or a bubble bath.  I'd suggest an appointment at the salon or a new outfit... Wink 

Maybe your vent/post here will even help a little.

I've been a supporter for many years and it's not always easy.  It does get better though...just think of the good times before this cycle and know that each day you all will get that much closer to those better days.

Now....
demonh8r wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 1:08pm:
You're a terrible supporter. You will never understand his pain unless you go through a cycle yourself. NEVER!
When you married, did your vows include something like " be there for each other in sickness and in health?
You think you have it bad? WOW

I find this out of line and disrespectful to more than Jen.  There are many, many supporters on this site who are here daily doing what they can.  The fact that we don't feel your physical pain damned sure doesn't mean we don't suffer right along with you.  I see that you are a newbie and a young man so I'm not going to flog you....yet. Wink

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #39 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 3:34pm

Quote:
So I haven't seen a whole lot of messages from actual supporters here...just CHeads that rave about theirs. It's been almost three years since the last comment on here, so I don't even know if anyone will read this.

Jen, This particular thread that was stickied that you're referring to being 3 years old...is one of hundreds of on-going threads in this  "supporters section"    May I suggest you do some reading down below?  You will see that, besides Jackie...we have some wonderful folks who try and answer questions and give support on a daily basis.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #40 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 4:04pm

HOLY SH*T Jen...the anger in that post leaps off the page and SCREAMS...truly stunning. I hope it helped to get that out......

Any help out there? I'd like my family to remain in tact and in order for that to happen, I need some pointers from other supporters, not Clusterheads. Clusterheads are too caught up in themselves to know what it's like to watch this month after month.

Posting on a clusterhead forum and telling clusterheads not to comment is like telling the sky not to be blue. We tend to be a herd of cats...good luck corralling us.

Not even categorizing and insulting an entire group of people based on experience with one will shut us up. For God's sake, have you read what's available here...from clusterheads and supporters alike? It has literally saved lives...and if I were you I would read, read, read, read, read, read......

It has been said that there is no pain known to man worse than a cluster hit...I don't believe that. Personally, FAR WORSE is the pain I feel when my loved ones and friends witness...knowing there is nothing they can do. It tears my guts out and gnaws at my soul...."too wrapped up in myself to know what it's like"? Not sure I could be accused of worse.....most times it's ALL I think of....

Is it really your intent to inflict pain for pain? Is THAT somehow going to make you feel better? Thinking no...thinking you are hurting bad...and knowing you are in the right place. The help is here for the asking
and there are others here, far wiser, who can offer the help you need....drop the anger and be open...please.

You have my prayers....

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

demonh8r
CH.com Junior

Never quit fightin

Ohio
Reply #41 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:02pm

Jackie, its the truth.
Your right. I'm young and a newbie to this forum, but not new to the pain darlin.
She asked "Am I a bad supporter?"
Just giving my opinion.

IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #42 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:29pm

Jen, you asked
"Am I a bad supporter? 
When my partner is in a cycle (such as he's been for the past four weeks) I hurt just as much as he does, just in a different way. His pain is physical, but it eventually goes away and he's fresh-a-daisy; mine is emotional and it hangs around all the time."

Because you hurt when he hurts, it says you care, you love, you feel. A bad supporter would feel nothing, would care not. I know CH is relentless and evil and hurtful and agonizing, and some people just don't "get it". But if you love him, keep feeling, keep loving and keep caring. Yes it is hard, but it makes you human and a good person, and gives you a "golden pass" in the next life.

I sit hear reading, with tears running down my face. I'm right with you with the frustrations and fear of this THING that has changed my life. But bigger than the THING is my love for my husband. He is a good man, that doesn't deserve CH. Yes he is a PITA (pain in the ass), and yes he is terrible with $ and doesn't do things exactly as I do. But he is a good man, and adores me, and would give his life for me as I would for him.

I believe that love for your partner is still in you too, that is why you have stuck by for so long. It's ok to say "what about me?" Talk to people when you can. Their empathy and sympathy does remove some of the edge. There are many out there 10 times worse off. I read Eckhart Tolle's books during a past "dark period" in my life and he helped break it down to one simple message for me. Live my life in the moment with positive, forward movement. Let go of my ego and the negative and figure out why I am here.

I've never been in the military service, a nurse or a mother. Being a CH supporter gives me the credentials to say I've enlisted in all 3 careers. Being a CH supporter tells my why I am here. Being a supporter is a selfless act, and shows me how I can give back and love and learn to do for others. It is my test. Believe me when I say, I'm NO angel. I tremble at the thought that this could be "the rest of our lives." It makes me sad and then mad. And I find the good in the day, moment, minute and live. Keep living Jen, keep giving. Find a moment for yourself, give to yourself, and live.

Here for you as I know you are for me.

♬and in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make ♬

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #43 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:50pm

demon....

I have no objection to you stating your opinion of her as a supporter.

Check you PMs......darlin.

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #44 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:16pm

dsw...

Wow!  Beautiful post....on a lot of levels.

Big hugs,
Jackie

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #45 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:11am

dsw,
Have to agree with Jackie, you're post is awesome!

Jen-S,
Anger is okay, better to get it out here, than to turn it inside on yourself or take it out on your family.  I'm a supporter, been at it for over 25 years now, so I can understand your feelings (I truly can, btdt).  For many years, during my husband's cycle, I not only worked full-time, I ran the house, took care of all the yard work and then took care of all the animals on the farm (cows and horses).  There were times when I felt like packing it all in and getting the hell out of dodge.

I think the major difference between where you are right now and where I've been, is that my husband was always extremely aware of how his headaches affected our family and did his best to keep things *normal* when he wasn't in pain.  Plus, our close friends had seen him get hit and they actually *understood* when I had to turn down invitations or leave early because his head was starting to hurt.

I had my husband read your post and believe it or not, he pretty much agreed with you.  These are *your* feelings and you are entitled to them.  I think that what might serve you and your partner best is a *sit down* when he's not in pain.  You don't have to tell him everything you told us here, but you can tell him things he can do to make it easier on everybody, himself included.  Sometimes it's the little things (like putting his dirty kleenexes in the trash and maybe throwing his empty blister packs away) that will take things over the top and cause major problems.

Talk to him.  A word of advice when you do talk to him, don't play the blame game, guilt is a bitter pill to swallow.  Keep your conversations to *I feel*, *I am*, *I*, not *you* or *your headaches*.  Neither of you can control the fact that he has headaches, neither of you can control the fact that his headaches do disrupt your life, but what you both can do is not let these headaches ruin what you have.  It will take work on both sides and imho, if you didn't care, you would never have made that post.

By the way, there are clusterheads on here that are also supporters (their partners have clusters too) and there are clusterheads on here that do their damnedest to make sure that their partners don't end up in as much pain as they are.

I hope you come back.  If you see soemthing negative, take it with a grain of salt.   I'm not Mother Theresa and somewhere along the line, I dented the hell out of my halo and broke one of my wings.

Carolyn~aka~deltadarlin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #46 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:22am

Another OUTSTANDING post on this thread, Carolyn.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #47 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:25am

Brew wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:22am:
Another OUTSTANDING post on this thread, Carolyn.

Absolutely!

Great post my friend!

IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #48 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 1:49pm

Bravo Carolyn, right back at you!
diane

♬and in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make ♬

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #49 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:52pm

I'm a supporter and yes, I get angry.  AT THE BEAST, never at my clusterhead,  IT'S NOT HIS FAULT - he didn't ask for this, he just has to bear it.  Would you rather your sufferer had something that would kill him?  Something that was painful AND fatal?

I've walked out of movies and theatres, changed drivers on busy interstates, given up entertaining, made excuses to friends and family, and am damn glad to do it.  The hardest leap for us to make as a family with clusters is to TRULY live between the hits.  It's one thing to say it, another to live it.  Life is what happens between hits.  Everything else is a minor temporary annoyance.

For better or worse, in sickness and in health.  It isn't easy, it isn't always equal, but it's worth every pain free moment.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!