Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Who is who here to the newcommers (Read 106591 times)
Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Who is who here to the newcommers
Reply #650 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:49am

Glad you found us, start reading like crazy, the post just above yours has a link to oxygen info. Read it, learn it, embrace it! I went from 90 minute rides to 6-8 minute aborts just huffing oxygen.

Learn all you can from the board, an educated CH'er hurts a lot less! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ed Carter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #651 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 12:09pm

Hi all,

I'm not really sure if I'm doing this right but hopefully someone will let me know if I have this in the wrong category.  I am 51 year old British male. living in the city of Osnabrueck in Germany, who started suffering mild, daily headaches at the age of 24.  An aspirin seemed to be all it needed to get rid of the mild pain initially.  I then had a break of approximately a year and the headaches returned, but this time they seemed to be more painful. The doctor seemed to think I might need glasses and having found out I was a bit short-sighted I was duly prescribed a pair.
Unfortunately the new glasses didn't seem to help and I therefore started on an increased regimen of aspirin.
As the years passed I tended to have breaks from headaches for up to a year at a time but each time the headaches returned they appeared to increase in pain and the duration of the bouts lasted anywhere up to a year.
I was subsequently diagnosed as a migraine sufferer and prescribed Imigran tablets.  I was glad that I had finally been diagnosed with something after having numerous scans, blood tests, etc etc.
I stayed on Imigran for years as by this time the headaches had progressed to waking me in the middle of the night; they seemed to last from anywhere up to 90 minutes and were totally debillitating.  The one difference I seem to have from most CH sufferers is that once I'm having a headache I couldn't move around at all. I pushed myself up in the bed into a sitting position so my head was resting against the wall and held my arms to my sides, took an Imigran and stayed completely still, only breathing shallowly, knowing that the next 90 minutes were going to be hell.  As the headache wore off I felt so exhausted that I invariably fell asleep in that very same position.
I might add that throughout this time I served in the military from age 16 -50 and at times it was no mean feat convincing others of my suffering.
In 2001 someone advised me to try accupuncture, I still had a residual headache from the night before when I turned up for my appointment but lo and behold after the first session my headache disappeared.  I then had weekly accupuncture sessions over the next 3 months and after that, once per month for a total period of a year.  I remained headache free for 3 years to the day. 
In the spring of 2004 my "migraine" attacks started again, by this time I was stationed elsewhere but feeling that accupuncture had helped before I asked my doctor to schedule some appointments.
This time round the accupuncture seemed to work but was not as successful as back in 2001.  It took about a month of weekly sessions to get rid of the headaches.  The good thing about it was that the headaches again stopped for 3 years.
In 2007, again in the spring, almost to the day, I again began to have headaches.  I requested accupuncture once more but this time it didn't seem to work at all and I ws having 3 - 4 headaches per night and also during the day time.  To make matters worse my doctor stopped prescribing Imigran, telling me that I had taken more in 2 months than he would normally prescribe for a whole year.
It was at this point that I told my doctor that if I couldn;t get reasonable medication then I saw no other way out than to take my own life.  Within hours he had me admitted to hospital and I was seen by a nureosurgeon.  That first night I was given oxygen.  I was told to ring through to the nurse everytime I was woken by a headache, use the oxygen and then ring back to say when the headache had gone away.  I suffered 8 headaches that first night, all lasting between 10 - 15 minutes.
The next morning the neurosurgeon came to my bedside, I was headache free at the time and he sprayed some nitro-glycerine under my tongue.  Within 2 minutes I had a raging headache and then he injected me in the thigh with 6mg of imitrex.  Amazingly, within 3 minutes of the injection my head had cleared completely.  Thus I was diagnosed as a CH suffere after 24 years of headaches and within 24 hours of my stay in a German hospital.  I stayed in hospital for a further 7 days while they started me off on small doses of Verapamil, increasing this daily and also giving me a quantity of Imitrex injectors for me to self-inject.  After about a week of me leaving hospital, with a large quantity of both medications my headaches left me once again.
In early December of last year (a deviation from the spring offensive) I felt the warning signs of another phase of CH about to begin.  I had pre-empted leaving the forces by stocking up on Imitrex and Verapamil for future use.  As I decided to remain in Germany upon my retirement from the forces I knew I could get no treatment from the British NHS and due to this existing CH medical history I could get no medical insurance in Germany.  I found some Imitrex injectors that I'd had left over from my hospital stay but these were due to expire in Dec 2008, I also still had a quantity of Verapamil.  I also had some injectors that I requested in 2009, planning to stock up a bit prior to retirement, these expire in June of this year and so far I have about 6 left.
A friend of mine let me use his medical insurance card and go to a different doctor who is known for writing prescriptions with few questions, alas he would only prescribe me 2 injectors and 100 x 40mg Verapamil.  At the moment I am using 2 per day, one at night and one within an hour of waking up.  I don't want to have to resort to using the injectors that expire Dec 2008 but if push comes to shove, I know I will.
I am really glad I found this site, if only to be able to compare my state of affairs with others, which as far as the medical stats seem to be are almost identical with most of the people here.  I wish you all a pian-free new year.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #652 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 1:05pm

Ed Carter wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 12:09pm:
Hi all,

I'm not really sure if I'm doing this right but hopefully someone will let me know if I have this in the wrong category.  I am 51 year old British male. living in the city of Osnabrueck in Germany, who started suffering mild, daily headaches at the age of 24.  An aspirin seemed to be all it needed to get rid of the mild pain initially.  I then had a break of approximately a year and the headaches returned, but this time they seemed to be more painful. The doctor seemed to think I might need glasses and having found out I was a bit short-sighted I was duly prescribed a pair.
Unfortunately the new glasses didn't seem to help and I therefore started on an increased regimen of aspirin.
As the years passed I tended to have breaks from headaches for up to a year at a time but each time the headaches returned they appeared to increase in pain and the duration of the bouts lasted anywhere up to a year.
I was subsequently diagnosed as a migraine sufferer and prescribed Imigran tablets.  I was glad that I had finally been diagnosed with something after having numerous scans, blood tests, etc etc.
I stayed on Imigran for years as by this time the headaches had progressed to waking me in the middle of the night; they seemed to last from anywhere up to 90 minutes and were totally debillitating.  The one difference I seem to have from most CH sufferers is that once I'm having a headache I couldn't move around at all. I pushed myself up in the bed into a sitting position so my head was resting against the wall and held my arms to my sides, took an Imigran and stayed completely still, only breathing shallowly, knowing that the next 90 minutes were going to be hell.  As the headache wore off I felt so exhausted that I invariably fell asleep in that very same position.
I might add that throughout this time I served in the military from age 16 -50 and at times it was no mean feat convincing others of my suffering.
In 2001 someone advised me to try accupuncture, I still had a residual headache from the night before when I turned up for my appointment but lo and behold after the first session my headache disappeared.  I then had weekly accupuncture sessions over the next 3 months and after that, once per month for a total period of a year.  I remained headache free for 3 years to the day. 
In the spring of 2004 my "migraine" attacks started again, by this time I was stationed elsewhere but feeling that accupuncture had helped before I asked my doctor to schedule some appointments.
This time round the accupuncture seemed to work but was not as successful as back in 2001.  It took about a month of weekly sessions to get rid of the headaches.  The good thing about it was that the headaches again stopped for 3 years.
In 2007, again in the spring, almost to the day, I again began to have headaches.  I requested accupuncture once more but this time it didn't seem to work at all and I ws having 3 - 4 headaches per night and also during the day time.  To make matters worse my doctor stopped prescribing Imigran, telling me that I had taken more in 2 months than he would normally prescribe for a whole year.
It was at this point that I told my doctor that if I couldn;t get reasonable medication then I saw no other way out than to take my own life.  Within hours he had me admitted to hospital and I was seen by a nureosurgeon.  That first night I was given oxygen.  I was told to ring through to the nurse everytime I was woken by a headache, use the oxygen and then ring back to say when the headache had gone away.  I suffered 8 headaches that first night, all lasting between 10 - 15 minutes.
The next morning the neurosurgeon came to my bedside, I was headache free at the time and he sprayed some nitro-glycerine under my tongue.  Within 2 minutes I had a raging headache and then he injected me in the thigh with 6mg of imitrex.  Amazingly, within 3 minutes of the injection my head had cleared completely.  Thus I was diagnosed as a CH suffere after 24 years of headaches and within 24 hours of my stay in a German hospital.  I stayed in hospital for a further 7 days while they started me off on small doses of Verapamil, increasing this daily and also giving me a quantity of Imitrex injectors for me to self-inject.  After about a week of me leaving hospital, with a large quantity of both medications my headaches left me once again.
In early December of last year (a deviation from the spring offensive) I felt the warning signs of another phase of CH about to begin.  I had pre-empted leaving the forces by stocking up on Imitrex and Verapamil for future use.  As I decided to remain in Germany upon my retirement from the forces I knew I could get no treatment from the British NHS and due to this existing CH medical history I could get no medical insurance in Germany.  I found some Imitrex injectors that I'd had left over from my hospital stay but these were due to expire in Dec 2008, I also still had a quantity of Verapamil.  I also had some injectors that I requested in 2009, planning to stock up a bit prior to retirement, these expire in June of this year and so far I have about 6 left.
A friend of mine let me use his medical insurance card and go to a different doctor who is known for writing prescriptions with few questions, alas he would only prescribe me 2 injectors and 100 x 40mg Verapamil.  At the moment I am using 2 per day, one at night and one within an hour of waking up.  I don't want to have to resort to using the injectors that expire Dec 2008 but if push comes to shove, I know I will.
I am really glad I found this site, if only to be able to compare my state of affairs with others, which as far as the medical stats seem to be are almost identical with most of the people here.  I wish you all a pian-free new year.

Seems like you have things under control.  Oxygen at 25+lpm. with a non-rebreather mask might be just the ticket.

Potter

IP Logged

37-41withrestrictions
CH.com Veteran

NOT SO PF AT THE MOMENT

Chester UK
Reply #653 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:06pm

Hi Ed
I am a new comer to this site, the information and support is great so much stuff and no question too daft.

Off on a tangent....
I lived in Gutersloh for 7 years absolutely loved it, returned to the UK after my hubby broke his neck...rugby!!!

Take care
Sue

If you see something you want.. reach out and grab it with both hands.....just watch out you dont get a smack in the chops for grabbing the wrong thing!!!
suzieq6343  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #654 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:55pm

Hi Ed, and welcome to the board. Read the following 2 links. The first will tell you how to get 3 shots out of each imitrex injection, most can abort using only 2 mg, most auto injects are 6 mg each. Will really stretch out the remaining trex you have.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This second link will probably eliminate your use of trex! Breathing pure 02, out of a non re breather mask, with a flow rate of at least 15 LPM, preferably 25 LPM or better, will abort your attacks in as little as 6-8 minutes. Has almost eliminated my use of trex. You can use welding oxygen, many on the board do, just takes a few adaptors, all of which is described in the link.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

For the "milder" attacks, consider chugging an anergy drink, rock star, red bull, any containing the combo of caffiene and taurine. Many can abort or at least really reduce the intensity of an attack using these. If you continue with the verapamil, don't exceed one energy drink a day, verapamil and taurine don't play well together.

If you suffer from the wake up atacks at night, look at taking melatonin, an OTC sleep aid here in the states, not sure if you need a prescription in Germany. It's cheap, couple bucks a bottle here. Start with 9 mg about 30 minutes before bed, helps avoid the nite time terrors for many. May have to adjust the dose up or down, give it a few days to work.

Welcome to the board. Start reading and educating yourself here. A knoweldgeable CH'er hurts a lot less!

Joe

IP Logged

rl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #655 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 5:47am

Hi,I'm 34 lady living in Ireland. Had these since 2001.
on day 4 now, v fed up, mine normally last a min of a month.
Fed up apologising to everyone for not been able to do anything!
Rl:-(

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #656 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 9:31am

Welcome to the board RL, so glad you found us, if nothing else, misery does love company! Wink

When you have a pain free minute, give us a run down of what you've used in the past, what has and hasn't worked, what you're using now. The strength of this board it its combined experience. Maybe you'll throw something new our way, maybe we can give you some ideas to take back to your doc.

Then start reading like crazy! An educated CH'er hurts a lot less.

Joe

PS My duaghter recently spend about 4 months working in Ireland, lived in a flat accross the street from the Guiness factory, she LOVED Ireland! Smiley

IP Logged

Ed Carter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #657 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:12am

Guiseppi wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 4:55pm:
Hi Ed, and welcome to the board. Read the following 2 links. The first will tell you how to get 3 shots out of each imitrex injection, most can abort using only 2 mg, most auto injects are 6 mg each. Will really stretch out the remaining trex you have.

This second link will probably eliminate your use of trex! Breathing pure 02, out of a non re breather mask, with a flow rate of at least 15 LPM, preferably 25 LPM or better, will abort your attacks in as little as 6-8 minutes. Has almost eliminated my use of trex. You can use welding oxygen, many on the board do, just takes a few adaptors, all of which is described in the link.

For the "milder" attacks, consider chugging an anergy drink, rock star, red bull, any containing the combo of caffiene and taurine. Many can abort or at least really reduce the intensity of an attack using these. If you continue with the verapamil, don't exceed one energy drink a day, verapamil and taurine don't play well together.

If you suffer from the wake up atacks at night, look at taking melatonin, an OTC sleep aid here in the states, not sure if you need a prescription in Germany. It's cheap, couple bucks a bottle here. Start with 9 mg about 30 minutes before bed, helps avoid the nite time terrors for many. May have to adjust the dose up or down, give it a few days to work.

Welcome to the board. Start reading and educating yourself here. A knoweldgeable CH'er hurts a lot less!

Joe

Hi Joe,
Thanks for a warm welcome from your good self and others.  I guess I'm still a newbie (not to CH, just to the site) so I'd like to throw a couple of questions and observations out there if I may?

I've had a great time researching the site and I commend all users for it's informative content.  In my case, I found the info on stretching the imitrex very interesting but have the following to ask:

When the vial is stripped out of the applicator that needle looks extremely long; when manually injecting is the needle required to go in all the way to the hilt?  I've noticed when having used the applicator as intended the needle remains visible for about a half of it's complete length.  It's a small point (no pun intended) but I rather worry about doing other damage if I'm pshing the needle in too far.  I also noticed that the user mentioned they were injecting in the arm and wondered if there's any advantages to that as I've always used the thigh as described in the instructions?  I was just curious to know whether using the arm had an advantage of being closer to the pain site or whether it's simply a matter of preference.

I think the use of O2 is out of the question for me from a logistical viewpoint but I am certainly not discounting it and will begin to ask around.

Thanks for the energy drink info.  I woke up with a level 2 at 2am this morning and chugged one of the redbulls which I'd stocked up on.  CH aborted after about 15 minutes. At midday today I was again up to a level 2 and reached for the redbull but unfortunately it had no effect this time and after 20 minutes and a level 8 I resorted to the Imitrex, using the conventional method.  Yep, just read your advice about only using 1 redbill when on Verapamil, duh!!!

I have increased the Verapamil dosage slowly and for 2 days have been on 560mg per day (200 in the morning, 160 late afternoon and 200 just before bedtime).  Bearing in mind I am not being monitored during this self-medication process as I am managing to get my meds somewhat through the back door, I'm wondering whether I should increase the dosage a little further but am not sure as I've heard the Verapamil takes 2 weeks to kick in at it's highest dose and so far there's been no real change to my CH pattern.

I would also be interested to know at what point in the Kipp scale people are resorting to using the Imitrex injections?  Tried to research it here but if it's there I apologise for missing it.  My point is that I try and last as long as possible before injecting in the hope that it might only be a 10-minute CH which is sometimes the case, but, more often than not I find myself getting to the point where I keep giving it another 5 minutes and then another 5 until I'm at the level 8 or 9 stage and am left with no option other than to use it.  I could then kick myself for having allowed myself to go through 30 or 40 minutes pain.  I'm sure most people have been there.

As for Melatonin, no chance of getting it here otc or even in UK where I have family who could send it to me.  I looked up some sellers on ebay, all from the USA, some specify that they don't ship to Germany while others simply say "international shipping" available.  I have taken the chance of ordering some from the latter so it will be interesting to see if it actually gets through but at least they have notified me to say that they've shipped already.

Whew!!!! Hope I haven't bored the pants of anyone and I also fully realise that some of my enquiries are very general indeed, especially when considering that all people seem to react slightly different to the CH issue in terms of medication and how they personally deal with it.  I'm beginning to wonder whether this process of committing my CH probs to a forum and also reading others' experiences is actually turning into being a little cathartic?  Oh well every little helps.

Thanks for listening and for the info given so far, also thanks in advance for any replies.

Ed

IP Logged

Ed Carter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #658 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:16am

37-41withrestrictions wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:06pm:
Hi Ed
I am a new comer to this site, the information and support is great so much stuff and no question too daft.

Off on a tangent....
I lived in Gutersloh for 7 years absolutely loved it, returned to the UK after my hubby broke his neck...rugby!!!

Take care
Sue

Hi Sue

Thanks for the shout out.  Sorry to hear about your husband's misfortune and I sincerely hope he's in a much more comfortable position now.

I also served a couple of tours in the logistic regiments of gutersloh so who knows, maybe our paths have crossed.

Yep, am loving the forum already, great to be able to get more insight and info.

Ed

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #659 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:25am

Ed Carter wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:12am:
[quote author=0122203731313D520 link=1118870900/654#654 date=1295646921]
I think the use of O2 is out of the question for me from a logistical viewpoint but I am certainly not discounting it and will begin to ask around.

Ed

Don't fool around get the o2.  It works wonders.

Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #660 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 4:20pm

I'll wait for a med person to chime in on the needle depth question, I know people inject in different areas, from the arms, thighs, stomach, buttocks, I can't imagine location would really make a difference. But saying that, I stress I have NO medical training so I don't know for sure. I always used the butt cheek!

I rarely use trex now because the oxygen is just so effective. Trex is reserved for the times I fail to plan and get caught away from my 02. My threshold was about K-5.

The Verapamil, most say it takes up to two weeks for the prevent effect of verapamil to get going. It's a rather high horse power med, so it does bother me you're going at it without supervision. Certainly don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, Wink But please be careful with that stuff. If you find yourself getting really dizzy or light headed upon standing, or with any exertion, your BP is getting into that dangerously low zone. Definitely something to watch.

I'd suggest you copy and paste this last post of yours down in the Medications section. Sadly, few people venture up here to the "getting to know you" section, thus you get few responses. Repost this in meds and you'll have a dozen responses. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

Ed Carter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #661 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:35pm

I'd suggest you copy and paste this last post of yours down in the Medications section. Sadly, few people venture up here to the "getting to know you" section, thus you get few responses. Repost this in meds and you'll have a dozen responses. Smiley

Joe [/quote]

Joe,

Thanks very much for a timely response coupled with the advice.  I don't think for one minute that you were "talking down" to me and maybe I should have mentioned that this is the same dose of verapamil I reached when under the doctor's supervision during my last episode 3 and a half years ago.  Rushing off to copy my post in the meds section.  Once again thanks.

Ed

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #662 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:14pm

maybe I should have mentioned that this is the same dose of verapamil I reached when under the doctor's supervision during my last episode 3 and a half years ago

Thanks, yeah, I feel a lot better, clearly this is not uncharted territory for you!

Joe

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #663 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:53pm

Just remember that Imitrex injects are a sub-Q jab, meaning just under the level of the skin into the fatty tissue underneath.

No more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch of needle needs to be inserted, and the easiest way to inject a partial shot is in the abdomen quite the same as a diabetic would insulin. 

Easy to pinch the skin up with one hand and inject with the other.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Ed Carter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #664 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 9:37pm

Redd wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:53pm:
Just remember that Imitrex injects are a sub-Q jab, meaning just under the level of the skin into the fatty tissue underneath.

No more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch of needle needs to be inserted, and the easiest way to inject a partial shot is in the abdomen quite the same as a diabetic would insulin. 

Easy to pinch the skin up with one hand and inject with the other.

Redd,

Thanks very much for your input, seems as though that's my most important question answered.

Ed

IP Logged

kellytanner
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Georgia
Reply #665 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 11:20am

Hi everyone. My name is Kelly. I am a 27 year old wife and mother of two beautiful children. I am also an episodic CH sufferer. I tend to get them about every 18 months, and they last for about 6 weeks, having 1 a day to start and progressivley adding more and more through the six weeks.

I am currently 12 days into an episode. My neurologist has me on 480mg of verapamil and 1000mg of depakote daily, and oxygen and relpax at the onset of a headache.

I have just found this site today and really hope to keep up with others that share this pain. It is understandable why these things are called "suicide headaches" because one will do ANYTHING to stop the undescribable pain that CH cause. I look forward to reading the insight of others.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #666 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 4:21pm

Welcome to the board Kelly. I always hated how the beast would interrupt my parenting time with my girls when they were little. Sad

Sounds like your neuro has a good grasp on your treatment. Read this link just to confirm your maximizing the effectiveness of your 02.

Welcome home.

Joe

IP Logged

johnny jones
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #667 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 4:07pm

Hello. I am.brand new to.this site and am.currently in first week of a new cycle. I live in Naples florida and would love to unite withanyone who understands what I go thru. I am 42 and started having ch's in 1998. I was diagnosed in 2003 by a neurologist at vanderbilt university in nashville tn. My phone is 239-919-4464. The pic is of me and my parents

IP Logged

SeansWife
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Casselberry, FL
Reply #668 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 10:40pm

Hi. My husband, Sean, has suffered from CH for most of our 15yrs together. We live in Casselberry, FL, near Orlando. He only has them every 2-3 yrs. We've never kept track of how long they last but they run at least 3-4 weeks. He currently works at least 4 nights a week and is on a day schedule for the other 3 days of the week.

A GP diagnosed him as a CH sufferer in 2004 and prescribed imitrex which helped. The last dr. we saw for his last episode in 2007 prescribed axert, more of a migraine medicine I think. He's been having this current episode for 2 weeks now and the axert doesn't help at all, if it ever did.

I'm so glad that he found this website two days ago. I've been on here researching and I found a neurologist in our area and hope to start some kind of oxygen therapy soon. Today we tried the energy drinks. They seemed to delay the CH, but today he's had more CH (9-10)  then he has the last 2 weeks (about 3 per day). We're wondering if anyone else suspects that they only delay the CH? Or maybe his are just intensifying and increasing in number the farther along in his episode? He's working on the "redirecting blood flow" technique mentioned on your site along w/ meditation. This may sound silly, and I'm totally serious in suggesting it as a wife who feels totally helpless, but we started using oral sex as an abortive years ago. It redirects blood quickly and seems to help at the onset of an attack. Not the most convenient of techniques, but it seems to help when we can do it.

I've started a diary of his attacks this time. I want to be prepared when we go see a dr. and I have to feel like I'm helping in some way. It soo hard to see my best friend in so much pain and so exhausted. This site has help me be more proactive in finding what ever may help. I'm going to buy the melatonin next payday. I'm sure his wacky sleep patterns don't help w/ the bio clock thing. He also suffers from apnea. He hasn't used his CPAP in a couple of years because he needs to get the air flow reset and that requires another sleep study which I will be talking to his dr. about at his appointment Wednesday.

I am truly grateful for having this site as a reference/support guide. Any advise is greatly appreciated and please let me know if anybody else has ever tried sexual stimulation as an abortive. I was kind of surprised not to have read any thing on the message board about it. Thank you for your time!

Worried wife,
Carrie

Share a smile!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #669 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:08am

SeansWife wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 at 10:40pm:
Hi. My husband, Sean, has suffered from CH for most of our 15yrs together. We live in Casselberry, FL, near Orlando. He only has them every 2-3 yrs. We've never kept track of how long they last but they run at least 3-4 weeks. He currently works at least 4 nights a week and is on a day schedule for the other 3 days of the week.

A GP diagnosed him as a CH sufferer in 2004 and prescribed imitrex which helped. The last dr. we saw for his last episode in 2007 prescribed axert, more of a migraine medicine I think. He's been having this current episode for 2 weeks now and the axert doesn't help at all, if it ever did.

I'm so glad that he found this website two days ago. I've been on here researching and I found a neurologist in our area and hope to start some kind of oxygen therapy soon. Today we tried the energy drinks. They seemed to delay the CH, but today he's had more CH (9-10)  then he has the last 2 weeks (about 3 per day). We're wondering if anyone else suspects that they only delay the CH? Or maybe his are just intensifying and increasing in number the farther along in his episode? He's working on the "redirecting blood flow" technique mentioned on your site along w/ meditation. This may sound silly, and I'm totally serious in suggesting it as a wife who feels totally helpless, but we started using oral sex as an abortive years ago. It redirects blood quickly and seems to help at the onset of an attack. Not the most convenient of techniques, but it seems to help when we can do it.

I've started a diary of his attacks this time. I want to be prepared when we go see a dr. and I have to feel like I'm helping in some way. It soo hard to see my best friend in so much pain and so exhausted. This site has help me be more proactive in finding what ever may help. I'm going to buy the melatonin next payday. I'm sure his wacky sleep patterns don't help w/ the bio clock thing. He also suffers from apnea. He hasn't used his CPAP in a couple of years because he needs to get the air flow reset and that requires another sleep study which I will be talking to his dr. about at his appointment Wednesday.

I am truly grateful for having this site as a reference/support guide. Any advise is greatly appreciated and please let me know if anybody else has ever tried sexual stimulation as an abortive. I was kind of surprised not to have read any thing on the message board about it. Thank you for your time!

Worried wife,
Carrie

You have got to be the worlds best supporter.

Potter

IP Logged

clarkson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #670 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:06am

Hey all im jamie ch sufferer for 3 years now im 26 and only recently had my diagnosis thought i was going mad as the first doc i saw told me it was all im my head well he was right to a degree only he believed it to be drug seeking behaviour i suffer from it quite bad and i am lucky as i am currently under the royal london nuerology dept and can rejoice as im responding well to the current medication i am now on being verapamil (calcium channel blocker) and sumatriptan which is good stuff not a big fan of injecting but as you all know with the pain you will do whateva it takes right guys lol however the meds only do so much as i can still suffer should i be out of meds while i wait for repeat prescriptions and sometimes the attacks are full on to the point where i max out on the meds and have  to just bear it for 24 hours after injection. I am really happy that i have found this website as at first i truely believed i was alone in this after learning how rare it is in society so guys and girls please feel free to contact me as i could do with a friendly conversation with fellow sufferers get some advice to help me learn how to deal and cope with this condition all responses will be replied to thanx alot CH.com hope to hear from you all soon take care be strong Jay xx

IP Logged

sampsonite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #671 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 12:56pm

Hello.  I'm Sam from Kansas City and am 46 years old.  I was diagnosed in '94 with CH and have experienced approx 5 or 6 cycles that last about 1-1.5 months each of two a day attacks.  I have Zomig and exercise as my main abortive (nothing preventative).   Exercise is perhaps a little more reliable to shorten the episode.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2000.   Had the uvula sergery to combat the apnea but it didn't work so I use a cpap.  Anyone know if there is a link between apnea and ch?  Anyone else use exercise as an effective abortive measure?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #672 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 4:41pm

Several on the board use the CPAP for their sleep apnea. None have had success "curing" their CH with it. But smart to address the apnea as it has some nasty potential problems left untreated.

Many have found success using exercise to abort or reduce attacks. It was one of my main abortives before discovering oxygen. Going for an all out sprint would ratchet a hit down 2-3 clocks after about 20 minutes of hard running. Now I sit down, huff oxygen for 6-8 minutes, and the pain is gone!

Worth it's weight in gold!

Joe
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2011 at 4:42pm by Guiseppi »  

IP Logged

sampsonite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #673 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:45am

Oxygen seems to be preferred way to go if it works for you since the adverse effects are nill.  What I don't understand is why my doc didn't suggest this before writing the zomig perscription.   Does o2 require a perscription (couldn't imagine).  How do you get hold of it? Is it bought over the counter?

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #674 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:47am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!