Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Helpful Hints - MUST READ!! (Read 31457 times)
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus

Farting relieves the pressure

Farmersville, TX
Re: Helpful Hints - MUST READ!!
Reply #25 - May 5th, 2006 at 11:02am

Floridian wrote on May 4th, 2006 at 2:08pm:
Good post, but have to disagree with:

Imitrex is generally very effective, but has a significant side effects profile and may actually increase the frequency of hits and the length of a cycle.  Imitrex is one option to consider, but it is wrong to call it something most people Need.

I too agree that is why it says(which you forgot)
For most it is also necessary to use Imitrex injection. see "imitrex tip"

So it would be clarified as the tips state to see a doctor and for some it does cause those and other side effects. Please Read all of it dont paraphrase it can cause harm, just as only following half advise from a good neuro can be more harm than help. Also as I should have stated, Find a good Doctor and follow the treatment. Relief may be slow at times but if followed correctly you usually will get the relief needed to make it through each and every day a little better. Although sometimes you may not.

Mike

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum&&If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?&&&&***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink

IP Logged

floridian
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 6th, 2006 at 5:40pm

Ghost wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 11:02am:
I too agree that is why it says(which you forgot)
For most it is also necessary to use Imitrex injection. see "imitrex tip"

So it would be clarified as the tips state to see a doctor and for some it does cause those and other side effects. Please Read all of it dont paraphrase it can cause harm, just as only following half advise from a good neuro can be more harm than help. Also as I should have stated, Find a good Doctor and follow the treatment. Relief may be slow at times but if followed correctly you usually will get the relief needed to make it through each and every day a little better. Although sometimes you may not.

Mike

I think we are coming from different positions. (?!")  Here are the 3rd and 4th tips:

•      O2 is a valid and preferred treatment at most levels of pain to end(abort) a Cluster Attack sooner. Usually administered at 10-15 lpm with a Non re-breather mask.
•      For most it is also necessary to use Imitrex injection. see "imitrex tip"

Reading those, in that order, it sounds like you are saying most people need an imitrex chaser for the oxygen.  I don't agree with that, and after reading your follow up, I'm not sure if you meant that ... were you saying that most people who use oxygen to abort also need imitrex injections??

Oxygen is very effective for many people, leading to rapid and complete abortion of the headache.  For others, it turns down the pain enough to be tolerable. And for some, it works poorly or not at all. I think it is innacurate to say that oxygen is insufficient "For most."  And if oxygen is not satisfactory, imitrex is an option, but is not necessary.      
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2006 at 7:13pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 8th, 2006 at 7:07pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

joke ten dam
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|the hague|Netherlands|europe|215|236|
Reply #28 - May 14th, 2006 at 6:32pm

I think this is very important for the board so I'm bumping it too.

poldertocht  
IP Logged

Summerbabe
CH.com Veteran

Live well. laugh often,
Love Much

x0|Stoneham|USA||0|0|MA,Massachusetts
Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 7:56am

;Grin  Job well done...proud of you, and thank you...  Smiley Summer

I am in my own world , its ok they know me here...

IP Logged

sarahanne
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|hamilton|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 12:19pm

thank you so much for this.  as a newbie to the board this was extremely informative.  i believe what i've dealt with the past week were all twinges...leading up to last night.  (OWWW!)  i never would've guessed that red bull (or other large doses of caffeine) would be helpful.  i wonder if that's how i've suppressed this bugger all week.  i ran out of red bull the day before yesterday and BAM!  i generally keep a stock of red bull in order to fight off my migraines but if it helps with clusters, omg, i'm buying stock!  thanks so much for the pointers.  3 cluster attacks in 6 hours is just too much to bear.)  ~sarah

siggidam  
IP Logged

noranate
CH.com Newbie

Nora-N-Nate You Are My
World

x0|nashua|USA||0|0|NH,New_Hampshire
Reply #31 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 12:27am

Is anyone finding that O2 is not working for them? Embarrassed

Peter Marchese

IP Logged

snow bunny
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bracebridge|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #32 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 2:22pm

awesome ed vise!it really helped!

Santa ;Grin

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #33 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 11:08pm

Thanks for the exce..ent post. 

My condolences to the Kipple family and loved ones.  You will be in our prayers.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Dunnie_work
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Quantico|USA||0|0|VA,Virginia
Reply #34 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:04pm

I can identify with almost all of this.  What about water? Does drinking water  alot of water do anything good for attacks?

IP Logged

Ghost
CH.com Alumnus

Farting relieves the pressure

Farmersville, TX
Reply #35 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:10pm

Dunnie_work wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:04pm:
I can identify with almost all of this.  What about water? Does drinking water  alot of water do anything good for attacks?

For some yes for some no it like all the rest is individual and may vary case by case. Hope it works for you but for me it did nothing.

Mike

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum&&If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?&&&&***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink

IP Logged

baadpuddytat
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|atlanta|USA||0|0|GA,Georgia
Reply #36 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 1:39am

hi--this is my first time here. 20 years with cluster headaches and still no cure (if there is one).  in one of the cycles right now; no health insurance at my current job.  any "natural" solutions?

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #37 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 2:12am

baadpuddytat wrote on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 1:39am:
 any "natural" solutions?

Charlie has a method of redirection that works for some.  I am sure he will come here and post it.

Have you looked at the "water X 3" tab, over in the left margin?

Another trick, that works for some is hyperventilating.  Do it until you feel dizzy, and even your fingers tingle.  What it is doing, is forcing an excess of oxygen, from the ambient air, into you body.   Try it, it might work for you too!

Good luck!!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #38 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 2:49pm

maybe you could also try melatonin,  you can get it at the drug store and some people find some relief with 9-12mg before bed.  good luck

chrisw

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #39 - Mar 23rd, 2007 at 9:32pm

Sorry for the delay but here is the natural solution post that has worked well for me and others:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.

Charlie      

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

dannyboy
CH.com Old Timer

Docs didn't design the
machine they're working
on

x0||||||
Reply #40 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:13am

Hi Charlie,

Interesting post about redirecting blood flow

If you can change the blood pressure in the scalp, or the brain to a much lesser extent.....

Obviously ligating a superficial artery has a similar effect on extra and intra cranial pressure

I, of course, would never advocate that type of barbarism!

Cheers
Danny
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:25am by dannyboy »  

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates

IP Logged

southwalessunshine
CH.com Veteran

caerphilly uk
Reply #41 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 8:05am

i'm new to this amazing site as from yesterday.  i read all the tips etc before i came to the message boards and found the tips etc very informative.  i would certainly say it's definatley worth putting this in with one of the tips for sure!  It would definatley have helped out a bit more.  i'm struggling will the fountain of info i've found here from the posts and could've done with this in with the tips.  purely so icould get my head around it before i read what people have posted.
brilliant post x

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.&&Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.&&Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.&&Helen keller

IP Logged

gary2
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|kingsville|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #42 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 11:10pm

never been on a forum before & i'm likely in the wrong area to share what i have to say. i haven't ventured very far in the forum...yet.  i may be repeating what others have already said here, but if what i did tonight could help anyone at all, it was worth my time registering into the forum....i've been through the headaches intermitantly for years, & tonight, ten minutes into a major headache, i decided to "safely" grab some weights & work-out like a mad man. within 5 minutes the pain was gone. i certainly didn't feel like doing it at the time but i knew i had to do something because nothing else i've tried seems to help. if you find yourself in panic mode & haven't tried this yet, please do. likely any heavy exercise will do. not sure how long till the next one hits & not sure how many times i'll have the energy to do this, but it was well worth it & i'll definitely try it again if it gets unbearable.

IP Logged

NJRik
CH.com Junior

x0|Eatontown|USA||0|0|NJ,New_Jersey
Reply #43 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 10:32am

I just want to thank all of you and this great site. I am new to this painfull monster and any help I can get is wonderfull.

Live well - Laugh often - Love Much

IP Logged

Wardland97
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Yonkers|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #44 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 1:42pm

One of my girlfriens suffered headaches from 1989-2006 on a daily basis. She was totaly disabled by them. She found out that there are a hand full of international healer with special healing gifts. She had two distance session with one & her headaches disappeared completely & have not returned. As we foung out there are three different healers, Bob Ward Healer , Gene Egidio & Lorenzo Cree. Bob W is the one my girlfriend went to . I went to him for my migraines  & now I no longer get them
k

Bob Ward - International Healer
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #45 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 9:49am

Wardland97 wrote on Oct 28th, 2007 at 1:42pm:
One of my girlfriens suffered headaches from 1989-2006 on a daily basis. She was totaly disabled by them. She found out that there are a hand full of international healer with special healing gifts. She had two distance session with one & her headaches disappeared completely & have not returned. As we foung out there are three different healers, Bob Ward Healer , Gene Egidio & Lorenzo Cree. Bob W is the one my girlfriend went to . I went to him for my migraines  & now I no longer get them
k

How did we miss this loon?

Potter

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #46 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 10:09pm

Profile says he's from Bonkers, NY

Yep, that's about right.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

erica
CH.com Newbie

x0||USA||0|0|
Reply #47 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 7:56am

I just signed up. and this has helped with some questions I've had. a lot! It is very difficult when someone makes you feel like the pain isn't as significant as it really is...and its very significant. I hope I can learn more here. Hoping to figure out how to stop these headaches soon. Nothing has worked for me, and they seem to be coming more frequently and more severe.  Undecided

thanks for the hints!

-erica

my right side feels all wrong.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #48 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 11:04am

I’ve included some photos of a disposable Non-Rebreather (NRB) Oxygen Mask, Clustermasx and M-size O2 cylinder with click style constant flow regulator, a Clustermasx configured with a mouth tube, a Western Medica flowmeter type constant flow O2 regulator with a CGA-540 Nut & Nipple fitting for use with the larger (M/H/K) oxygen cylinders, and an adapter that will let you use the same CGA-870 Yoke type constant flow O2 regulator on both E and M-size O2 cylinders.   

------------------- Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
NRB O2 Mask – Thomas gave you a good link where you can order these.

You’ll note arrows pointing to the two exhaust flapper valves in the photo above.  Both of these silicone rubber flapper valves must be present or room air will enter the mask and the oxygen inhaled will be diluted to the point it will not work as an abortive to stop the pain of a cluster headache attack. 

If possible, place the order by phone and ask for two. Make sure you tell them to ensure both exhaust flapper valves are present before you agree to buy them. They come in a clear plastic bag so if you buy two locally, inspect them carefully for the presence of both valves before you accept them.  Most NRB O2 masks come from the factory missing at least one and sometimes both of the flapper valves.  If you can get two, there’s a good chance you’ll have a total of two flapper valves to configure one NRB mask correctly. 

As a safety note, make sure you remove the green elastic strap from the NRB O2 mask.  All masks used for oxygen therapy to abort cluster headache attacks should be held in place by hand.  It’s very easy to fall asleep after aborting a painful attack.  If the mask fits tightly and both flapper valves are functioning properly with the mask held in place by the elastic strap, you could run out of O2 and that would not be good…  That is also why many suppliers of this mask ship it missing at least one valve.

-------------------
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Clustermasx – Mouth Tube Configuration

Masks like these are hard to find here in the US but they are available over the internet.  They cost more ($25 - $30 USD) but are reusable and provide a much better fit. They come in a kit with a mask and other spare parts like reservoir bags and valves.

-------------------
Clustermasx – Face Mask Configuration

This photo also shows a Click type constant flow regulator attached to an M-size O2 cylinder.  If you have more than four attacks a day/night, you’re better off ordering the larger M-size O2 cylinder.  I was going through an E-size O2 cylinder every day using a 25 LPM O2 regulator.  The M-size cylinder lasted more than a week at 15 to 25 LPM using a CGA-540 flowmeter type constant flow O2 regulator like the one shown below.

------------------- Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Flowmeter Type Constant Flow O2 Regulator (Western Medica)

I’ve used one of these regulators with a Clustermasx for almost two years and they both work great. You adjust the flow rate with the needle valve at the base of the sight gage.  It will deliver O2 flow rates well above 15 LPM by opening the needle valve to the “Flood Mode.”

-------------------
CGA-540 to CGA-870 Post Valve Adapter

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register" rel="gb_image[nice_pics]" title="...">Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
CGA-540 to CGA-870 Post Valve Adapter on M-size O2 Cylinder

This is a very handy adapter to have in your oxygen therapy kit.  With one of these adapters you can use the same CGA-870 Yoke type constant flow O2 regulator (shown below) on the smaller E-size O2 cylinders while on travel and also at home on the larger (M/H/K) size O2 cylinders. You can find one of the CGA-540 to CGA-870 Post Valve Adapters at the following URL:

-------------------
CGA-870 “Yoke type” 0-25 LPM Constant Flow O2 Regulator

A 25 LPM regulator like this cut my abort times dramatically while I was using my E-size O2 cylinders away from home.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 9:50pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

levmyshkin
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Las Cruces|USA||0|0|NM,New_Mexico
Reply #49 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:44pm

Hello guys.

I'm a health journalist in New Mexico working on a story about cluster headaches for my paper.

If there's anyone in the New Mexico or El Paso, Texas area who currently suffers from cluster headaches, and would be up for a short fifteen to thirty minute interview on the subject, I'd love to talk to you.

My e-mail address is: torrey-dot-meeks-at-gmail-dot-com.

All the best.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!