Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Tips for CH Sufferers (Read 45264 times)
Larry
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Arizona
Re: Tips for CH Sufferers
Reply #25 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:52pm

Also you will need to avoid triggers,,, for me triggers are Pepper, MSG, Alchohol, any form of barbiturate, peanuts, aged cheeses including sour cream to name the main ones.

IP Logged

brainpain
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #26 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 6:17pm

i guess im different
a nasel canule is great @ 15 lpm up one nostrel suckin for all im worth. it makes things worse for just a minute but thats how you know its workin!
ive been a sufferer for yrs and had brain surgery in 2006 for this head pain issue. shockin my hypothalmus @ 3.5 volts
bp

IP Logged

kennie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 3:00am

Hi There, I've posted this on the message board but just in case you've missed it, here it is again. I suffer from cluster headaches, or rather, I did until I luckily consulted a Doctor who was himself a sufferer. He prescribed Pizotifen malate, which has the trade name Sanomigran. Although I still have the episodes every 3 years lasting about 10 weeks, the pain is reduced to almost nothing. It's prescription only, but widely available. I hope it works for you too.
                                                                            Kennie

IP Logged

Ben Podurgiel
CH.com Newbie

Springfield, Missouri
Reply #28 - May 21st, 2009 at 9:06pm

well i have a way for dealing with the pain. since i don't have the money for meds or even oxygen, i am forced to deal with the pain the best i can. over the years i have learned that most people hold there head and rock back and forth. and i have done that many times. but i have found that putting pressure on the temple or eye only made it more painful. so i try not to touch my head at all. i try to relax as much as possible. and it works great on kip 5's and under. maybe even a 6. but anything higher and it gets really hard to sit still. i hope nobody has to try this because everyone should have at least oxygen. good luck to all.

Ben Podurgiel  
IP Logged

asdf
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #29 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:11pm

Hi  my father suffered from clusters but what helped him was imitrex but he took like 9 pills a day that was like 10 years ago and knock on wood he has not suffered since i know now you proly cant get that much at one time but maybe a doctor could get you a prescription

sorry hope i helped in some way

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #30 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 4:28pm

Your first post. Welcome to ch.com.

I'm totally speechless.

Just let it run its course.

Hmmmm....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 5:37pm

I huff oxygen and in five minutes it's done. no dickin around needed.

Potter

IP Logged

Aussie6330
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Western Australia
Reply #32 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:28pm

Greetings fellow Cluster Heads.
This is my 7th year dealing with the monster.  Always toward the beginning of spring.  This time however I spoke to my pharmacist and explained the symptoms prior to the attacks.  Probably more fortunate than most, my attacks come in the evening, once a day and always at the same time.  This year, at around 8.30pm. I had suffered 2 prior attacks the previous 2 nights. The chemist suggested I try an antihistamine as a preventative.  I took home a packet of Phenergan 25mg (active ingredient Promethazine hydrachloride) a medication usually used for hayfever sufferers.  I took 1 tab that night at 7.30pm an hour before the expected onset and another at 8.30pm when the attack usually comes.  The result......... I was a blathering fool, very drowsy ( but maybe that was also due to the wine I had consumed) but the upshot is that there was no attack that evening.  It has been 5 nights now and following the same procedure, I have managed to stay pain free.
To answer the anticipated questions.......YES I have been diagnosed as a Cluster Head........YES I understand that is early days yet, but for the time being it appears to be working........ NO I dont condone taking medication with alcohol, but I enjoy my wine.  YES I am not much use for anything else at night (much to my wife's disappointment) but for the time being I am pain free and that all I care about at this time.
I just hope it works for others
Best of luck Comrades.

IP Logged

PANOS-GREECE
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #33 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 6:55am

I suffer more than 30 years. The key is to realise that the pain is caused from the enormus stress, that we dont even understand that we have. So the brain inside us feels that he is in danger and works like a car running to the limit of his speed without stopping. It's the blood that runs in our vains in maximum speed.
So put your head into the shower and let cool water to run at your head, at the suffering area, for at least 10 minutes.
that's all.

IP Logged

greatramundo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #34 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 8:56pm

I'm 36 and have had clusters since I was in my early 20's. I have been to hell and back with these things and they are largely responsible for who and what I am. I'm old school and have been dealing with these things before anyone knew of any treatment methods...I had to figure things out on my own. I used to cycle every 6 months but as I grow older my periods of remission have lengthened to 3.5 years. Now through diet, Triptans, o2, and methods of relieving stress I life an almost comfortable life.  Stress is definitely a factor in a cycle returning...do what ever you can do to reduce stress! I have a comment to the people using energy drinks/coffee to abort a ch...I know caffeine works to get rid of  other types of migraines but I have never known it to work for clusters. Caffeine is my number two trigger, alcohol being my first. Unlike alcohol, caffeine doesn't trigger one soon but 1 can of soda will insure that I have several headaches the next day. My advice is to try a different method of abortion and avoid caffeine like the plague. Try it for a week...it may take that long to work it out of your system but I think you will find you will have far fewer headaches. Please if anyone has any questions I would be more than honored to try my best to help.    Ray

IP Logged

Sheryl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Florida, USA
Reply #35 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 1:06am

Hi I'm new to this I have only had clusters for the past 2 year's and they are  I get them two or three times in the year and they last 4 to 5 weeks at a time. I do not see a Doc of any kind for them any more I spent 4 weeks in the hospital still paying for it and when sent home was no better off. They put me on dopeamax cost $300.00 a month with ins. I quit taking it after 2 months it did not help it just made me stupid.
Now when I get them I just use a heating pad around my neck and head that helps a little but the pain god the pain it will put me down for 4 weeks at a time I can't eat I can't do any thing. This last time the pain was so bad and it was all day every day for 4 weeks that my body was so sore I could not even touch my hair. There was a nurse when I was in the hospital that gave me heat and told me to try and rest that was easy with all the good drugs. But this time I had to do it with out any thing lucky me the pain became so bad that my body or mind just shut down.
They only thing that helps me is the heating pad my soft blanket, no sound, no light of any kind or I will go through the roof and go nuts. I do my best to sleep when I can even if it's a few min. the more I can try and relax and rest the better off I am. The more I fight it ie walking, hitting my head just compounds the problem for me and besides it scares the crap out of my husband. I'm thankful I found this site because most people don't understand what clusters do to a person unless they have seen the pain one go's through with it. I am lucky because I have a friend that has seen me in pain and how I grab he walls and hold my head and yell out in pain. When my husband can't be with me because he has to work my friend will come and baby sit me just to make sure I don't hurt my self like banging my head on the wall or something. My Doc will give me something to help me sleep when I have the clusters it helps some for a little rest. I like reading these post and will check in to some of the things I read. I just got over an attack and I know another one is on its way I feel the stabbing pains and the sick feeling coming on. And  I do think stress is the trigger for me.

IP Logged

saxman
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

portland or
Reply #36 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 3:57pm

Hi I'm back on the site after many years. I have had ch for 25+ years. For many years they would arrive around 12/15 and the cycle would last 4 to 6 weeks. 8ish attacks daily. Ferocious. I had a buddy drive me to a all nite clinic on pch in Malibu 20 years ago and they tried a new drug , a shot of imitrex. Worked great 2-3 minutes I guess pain free. Of course that didn't stop the next one 2 hours later.
What has really saved me was discovering (on this site) 4=5 years ago the prednisone taper!!!
I am now 58 and have just begun my ch cycle a few days ago. I went to the er and they could tell that I knew what I was talking about (Ithink it helps alot if you are not asking for narcotics) and they treated me exactly the way I asked. I got an imitrex shot and a prescription for prednisone (60 mg the 1st 2 days then down 10 mg until gone with one refill)
Drs. hate prednisone! but I tell you my $10 prescription has kept me ch free for the last 2 days. I am a periodic so for me it's a no brainer, but the way I feel aboout it is: I can't think of anything I wouldn't take regardless of the side effects or anything that would stop the torture!!

IP Logged

Clustercat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #37 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 2:08pm

New to the site and LOVING it. 

15 yrs of CH and never met anyone, including my docs that understood it.  I think I can manage my CH without meds, though I hit KIP10 frequently but I'm episodic about 3 times a year. 
My tricks are varied but the one I go to most often are chewing two asprin and packing them into my upper jaw to cover that pain, (as bad as my eye), and keeping two baseball caps soaked in water in the freezer at all times.
When it comes, I don my 50 mission cap and try to think of my biggest problem at the moment and try to solve it as the pain washes over me.
Can't say I've ever solved any problems, but it keeps me from pulling out my hair.
I'm experimenting with massive doses of vitamin/mineral supplements at the moment.  Will let you know how that works out.
My attacks are at 7:30PM, sometimes again at 10:30, almost never in REM.  REM Shadows wake me a few times and a cold compress on the temple and cheek seems to keep him at bay.
Hope this helps.

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #38 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:41pm

"I have a friend who..." uses Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Stopped 2 cycles in 2009 in the pre-CH shadow period and currently broke a cycle in progress or seriously degraded the pain enough that it is essentially over.  A little caffeine helps too.  Pot of good strong green tea in the morning and some more in the afternoon (or coffee, nodoz), along with the cluster buster technique and things have been smooth sailing during this cycle for my friend (if you know what I mean). 

Psilocybes have been working for me, other natural ingredients have worked for others too.  Some cautions apply so check out all the info thoroughly and head all cautions/instructions.

IP Logged

madan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #39 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:07am

hi,
i am 35 and have suffering from CH for past 12 years. subcutaneous sumatriptan works best for me but off late i have noticed that these attacks rebound with more intensity after using sumatriptan... i have had 3 attacks per day for past few days and unable to break the cycle.. if attacks are mild compressing the superficial artery in the temple reduces the intensity  of pain....

IP Logged

E Brad
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #40 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 3:36pm

I have suffered from ch for the last 12 years, generally getting the standard 6-8 wk cluster/year with multiple attacks each day.  Throughout the last 12 years I have tried a lot of methods to avoid and/or treat these things with no avail until this year.   My cycle begain this past 2-16-2010 and since then I have had multiple (2-4) attacks per day.  The good news is that I have been able to abort every single attack (knock on wood) by using the power of capsaicinoids.  At the first hint of an attack I swab the inside of BOTH nostriles with dried habanero powder.  Sounds crazy but it works and the use of capsaicinoids (chemicals responsible for peppers heat) is known in the peer reviewed literature (I will follow-up with the reference).   
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2010 at 3:40pm by E Brad »  

IP Logged

ClusterFcUK
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #41 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 7:40pm

Hi, I've suffered Cluster Headaches for around 13 years now. They come once a year during Spring and last about a week. I feel bruised for another week and then they are gone until next year. I get them about three or four times a day, worse at night and early morning. I've tried just about everything to get rid of them including the more exotic remedies. This year on day two I decided to try something I previously thought might make them worse. Cannabis. I know that its illegal but frankly I would have tried the dried and powdered teeth of an endangered white mountain lion if I thought it would do any good. Anyhow, I woke with a very bad headache that I knew was about to get unbearable within 10 minutes. I dont know why, but I decided to try eating just a tiny bit of cannabis resin. I chewed thoroughly and swallowed with water before lying down to see what happened. Within 10 minutes my headache started to ease. Withing 20 minutes I was able to get out of bed. And half and hour later my headache was just a vague shadow. I was okay until later that evening when it started to return. I administered the same treatment and got the same results. The following morning my headache was less intense than expected (perhaps thanks to a decent nights sleep) but again, I eat a small amount of cannabis resin and settled back to see if my previous results had been a fluke. Sure enough, I was out of bed and happy as a pig in mud for the rest of the day. And even better, that was the last of my headaches this time. After only two days! It seems that I broke the cycle and Im a very happy chappie let me tell you. The amount ingested was just a tiny bite (less than quarter of the amount you might use in a joint). Okay, I felt just a little stoned for an hour afterwards but no other side effects. I cant promise this is going to work for you guys but I did some research shortly after this years episode and found that it has worked for someone else too. Anyway, I'd just like to say that I feel for each and every one of you. Good luck, Paul.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #42 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 8:54pm

ClusterFcUK wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 7:40pm:
Hi, I've suffered Cluster Headaches for around 13 years now. They come once a year during Spring and last about a week. I feel bruised for another week and then they are gone until next year. I get them about three or four times a day, worse at night and early morning. I've tried just about everything to get rid of them including the more exotic remedies. This year on day two I decided to try something I previously thought might make them worse. Cannabis. I know that its illegal but frankly I would have tried the dried and powdered teeth of an endangered white mountain lion if I thought it would do any good. Anyhow, I woke with a very bad headache that I knew was about to get unbearable within 10 minutes. I dont know why, but I decided to try eating just a tiny bit of cannabis resin. I chewed thoroughly and swallowed with water before lying down to see what happened. Within 10 minutes my headache started to ease. Withing 20 minutes I was able to get out of bed. And half and hour later my headache was just a vague shadow. I was okay until later that evening when it started to return. I administered the same treatment and got the same results. The following morning my headache was less intense than expected (perhaps thanks to a decent nights sleep) but again, I eat a small amount of cannabis resin and settled back to see if my previous results had been a fluke. Sure enough, I was out of bed and happy as a pig in mud for the rest of the day. And even better, that was the last of my headaches this time. After only two days! It seems that I broke the cycle and Im a very happy chappie let me tell you. The amount ingested was just a tiny bite (less than quarter of the amount you might use in a joint). Okay, I felt just a little stoned for an hour afterwards but no other side effects. I cant promise this is going to work for you guys but I did some research shortly after this years episode and found that it has worked for someone else too. Anyway, I'd just like to say that I feel for each and every one of you. Good luck, Paul.

I can kill one in five minutes with oxygen.  Stop playing around.

Potter

IP Logged

UPIBILL
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #43 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 3:01am

I am taking Tramadol HCL 50 mg. It has not prevented them all night but can get me to early in the morning if I take one when I go to bed it seems to lessen the severity but the pain still wakes me up after a few hours. Then when  I take another after the pain wakes me up it seems to provide faster relief and the pain was not as severe. So far it has been a godsend! Tonight I forgot to take one and so I am up. I will not make that mistake again. I am going to ask for Oxygen tomorrow to see if that along with the Tramadol will work even better together. I also spend a lot of time walking around outside when the pain hits and that seems to help as well. I guess I have been lucky. I am 58 Y.O. and this is my second bout with these. First time I did not know what was going on and at least I am learning how to recognize and learn from the episodes. I have broken my back, had skydiving, motorcycle and about every other kind of bodily injury possible including two major heart attacks and NOTHING compares to this pain! I wish these on no one. They are a curse! Hope this helps.

IP Logged

bustedfor30
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #44 - May 25th, 2010 at 12:00pm

What has worked for me with the night time headaches is to take 1/2 of a 50 mg. Imitrex pill at bed time and this will usually gets me 5 to 6 hours of sleep. I know you are not suppose to take it as a preventative but it works in my situation.

IP Logged

bustedfor30
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #45 - May 25th, 2010 at 12:10pm

I read that someone could not afford oxygen, well they might want to try an oxygen tank for welding. It is much cheaper and the contents I was told are the exact same gas, it's the cleanliness of the tank that is the issue. When I have run out of the small bottle that I keep in my car I am fortunate to work at a facility with welding oxygen and just take deep shots straight from the valve than shut it off, exhale than open the valve and inhale. I repeat this for about 2 minutes and off I go. No one is any the wiser and I can go back on the floor like nothing happened.

IP Logged

chwife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Medina, OH
Reply #46 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 12:42am

I remember when I talked my poor husband into trying sinus buster.  It did nothing for him. I felt so bad at the time, but we laugh about it now. . .we've tried so many things over the years to help him, and that was one of the more futile tries.  We feel like we are managing this cycle better than ever.  Every cycle gets a little more manageable, because of wonderful people like you who give us hope and new things to try.  
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2010 at 1:07am by chwife »  

IP Logged

UPIBILL
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #47 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:04am

I can not imagine suffering these without relief. I had a severely fractured vertebrae in my back and dealt with that as well as skydiving accidents, two heart attacks and this is orders of magnitude worse. Here is what I do. Someone said antihistamines and they do seem to help but take them starting well before the expected attack. If you feel an attack coming on after taking the antihistamines WALK fast as you can long as you can. That seemed to help also. I have been to the ER  for O2 three times in two weeks after hours of constant pain. The O2 definitely provided quick relief. I am convinced taking Hydrocodone and Tramadol after the pain started just made it last longer. Finally what seemed to finally end the cycle was a prescription for Amitriptyline 50 mg every evening at the same time. There may be other calcium channel blockers that also work but it is what I take. I had to ask my dr. to prescribe these by the way. Cluster Headaches are so rare I do not believe DR's are up to speed on them always so don't be shy! Anyway so far pain free but seem to have residual headaches that would bother me as to what was causing them but I had a CT scan that was clear. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Jan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #48 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 11:37am

I think I have found my cure.  It's as simple as running my head under ice cold water at the first signs of ch, it has even stopped it while full-blown.
This has stopped the last 4 attacks in 2 days.
So now all I have to do is carry a hose or a huge bucket of ice water with me at all times!! lol

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #49 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 11:45am

Jan wrote on Jun 15th, 2010 at 11:37am:
I think I have found my cure.  It's as simple as running my head under ice cold water at the first signs of ch, it has even stopped it while full-blown.
This has stopped the last 4 attacks in 2 days.
So now all I have to do is carry a hose or a huge bucket of ice water with me at all times!! lol

Not a cure. A treatment.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!