Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can CH Cause Brain Damage? (Read 8588 times)
Cynthia
CH.com Newbie

x0||USA||0|0|
Can CH Cause Brain Damage?
May 22nd, 2008 at 12:38am

Has anyone heard of CH causing brain damage? I have read a couple of studies showing that migraines can cause leisons in/on the brain which can lead to problems. But I haven't found anything relating it to CH.

I was wondering because I had a CH cycle that lasted about 2 weeks recently, and I have noticed some changes in me. I am a bit more forgetful, sluggish, out-of-it, and have been having odd feelings (sort of like the auras I get with my partial seizures, but a bit different). Its hard to describe. Its just been some stuff that isn't my usual self.

Has anyone had any experiences similar to this? Or has anyone heard of anything that is related to it? Thanks for any info!

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Can CH Cause Brain Damage?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:53am

None that we're really aware of, Cynthia, though we know what can do to your mind if you let it. The emotional toll can be devastating and can certainly lead to all sorts of lousy feelings.

I know I become quite sluggish and forgetful as cycles progress but I reckon most of that is through lack of sleep.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008 at 4:52am

If you consider the abnormality found in the hypothalamus of some CHers and how common head injury is related to CH, it maybe the other way round, ie some forms of brain damage may cause CH.

Forgetfullness and problems with cognition are more likely to be caused by/related to neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain during a cluster cycle than anatomical damages.

IP Logged

catherinelane
CH.com Junior

brain is out please leave
a message after the tone

x0|ogmore valleys|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2008 at 5:23am

are you on the tapering dose of steroids?
i found that i got extremley forgetful while using that route of medication, even forgetting how to pronounce certain words!

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2008 at 6:09am

Absolzp[3 w;e. q098r dj pwie/'d  sjdpale duwle ieuuusel as send te2s d ss speof.!

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008 at 7:21am

Cynthia,

don't worry about something you can't change. We're all going thru some tremendous amounts of pain. And yes it's going to effect our thinking somewhat.We take meds that effect our thinking...

I've learned over the years to just write a lot of notes and try to remember where I put them (post it notes work best  Smiley ).

I have auras also, but just take them with a grain of salt (or blame them on the migraines I have occasionally).

What I'm getting at is -- why worry about something when you can't do anything about it? I just "assume" that we're all "brilliant" and until someone proves different I'll just hold on to that assumption. After all we DO have more gray matter than most people so therefore we MUST be brilliant - right? Einstein couldn't remember his phone number (he didn't bother to remember things he could look up - so why should I?).

Now don't you feel better  now that you have my opinion? Cheesy

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008 at 8:30am

I have only one other word of advice, and that is...

If you are experiencing symptoms that are different or odd "for you"...please see your doctor.  We never know when something more sinister can pop up.  Think Kennedy, and his brain cancer.  He'd had a clean brain scan just 6 months ago.

Better to check it out.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:02am

I'm with Redd.  Please call or email your doc or advice nurse, if you have one.  I do get wierd things, and have multiple types of headaches.  It can be like peeling layers of an onion to get to the cause of different symptoms. 

Sometimes it is part of your headache, sometimes something else.  We had a sweet lady called Rapunzel who had several strokes. 

I'd feel better if you bounced it off a medical professional.

We are here for moral support, but most of us are not docs.

Charlotte

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:35am

Hi,

I notice during a cycle I am very forgetful, have trouble concentrating and even have trouble carrying on a normal conversation.  I think my appearance even changes.  CH effects my whole being while in cycle.  All seems to go back to normal after my cycle ends but it does take some time. 

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:17am

Quote:
Hi,

I notice during a cycle I am very forgetful, have trouble concentrating and even have trouble carrying on a normal conversation.  I think my appearance even changes.  CH effects my whole being while in cycle.  All seems to go back to normal after my cycle ends but it does take some time.  

Jeannie

Felt many of the same things during some cycles.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:52pm

I ain't as smart as I once was.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:58pm

thomas wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 1:52pm:
I ain't as smart as I once was.

I'll trade smart for wise any day.

IP Logged

Cynthia
CH.com Newbie

x0||USA||0|0|
Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2008 at 4:49pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Annette: Maybe it is from the neurotransmitter imbalance. I had not thought of that yet.

Catherine: No, I wasn't on any steroids. I didn't know they could work until I was almost through the cycle, so I didn't know it was an option. I probably wouldn't have wanted them anyway, because they make me feel bad-sweating, feel hot, increased appetite, moody.

Barbara: Sorry, I can't just accept this change in me. I am still taking college courses (quite difficult ones at that) and plan on medical school in a couple of years. A mess up in my brain that makes it harder for me to learn is a detrimental blow for me. I want to worry about it because I want to know what it is so that I can stop any progression of the problem or reverse it if possible. I know you're trying to offer support though-so thanks for that.

Jean, seasonalbloomer: Thanks, that does make me feel a bit better that it doesn't seem permanent and that it isn't just me.

Redd, charlotte: I work at a doctors office, and I did ask him about it today. He said that it might have been due to the sleep problems I had.  I mentioned the auras and everything, but he wasn't very sure if it all was from the CH or not. He recommended that if I keep having problems that I might want to talk to my neuro. I have an appointment with the neuro soon anyway for the seizures, so maybe he might know whats up.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2008 at 6:41pm

I don't know about smart or wise.... but since I started on Topomax about 10 days ago I'm convinced my IQ has dropped 20 points (and when you start at 80....). Give you an example, yesterday I was trying to give a clerk 20 cents in change and it was a challenge. Jeesh. I used to be able to handle that in less than 5 minutes!

IP Logged

Cynthia
CH.com Newbie

x0||USA||0|0|
Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2008 at 7:17pm

Balanchine wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 6:41pm:
I don't know about smart or wise.... but since I started on Topomax about 10 days ago I'm convinced my IQ has dropped 20 points (and when you start at 80....). Give you an example, yesterday I was trying to give a clerk 20 cents in change and it was a challenge. Jeesh. I used to be able to handle that in less than 5 minutes!

I have heard of that with Topamax. Its why some people have nicknamed it "dopamax" and "stupamax". I used to take it for seizures and I didn't notice anything like that. My Mom takes it for migraines and she noticed it in the first few weeks but it seemed to go away after a while.

Did they slowly titrate the dose up or just throw you into a moderate/high dose? It will almost definately cause side effects if it isn't introduced slowly. When I was on it I was started out a 25mg for a few days then went up to 50, and so on. I had to go off of it for a little while and when starting it again I just jumped back into the regular dose thinking my body would recognize it....I was wrong! It knocked me out and I slept all day. I had to reintroduce it slowly again.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2008 at 7:35pm

Cynthia, yes, my neurologist started me on 25 mg twice a day for 4 days, then upped it to 50 twice a day for 10 days. I'm in the midst of that at present. But I noticed the effect almost immediately. As I wrote somewhere in another post, I'm feeling sleepy, stupid, dopey and drowsy... like half the seven dwarves. I certainly hope I get accustomed to it like your mother!

Thanks.
David

IP Logged

Lebowski
CH.com Junior

The Dude Abides!

x0|Ithaca|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #16 - May 24th, 2008 at 5:30am

If they do not cause brain damage, I think smashing my head with my fists will during an attack!

IP Logged

kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus

Don't Mix Triptans

Columbus, OH
Reply #17 - May 24th, 2008 at 11:12am

Ummm....What was the question?    Smiley

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso&&&&

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2008 at 1:34pm

Quote:
Hi,

I notice during a cycle I am very forgetful, have trouble concentrating and even have trouble carrying on a normal conversation.  I think my appearance even changes.  CH effects my whole being while in cycle.  All seems to go back to normal after my cycle ends but it does take some time.  

Jeannie

I completely agree with what Jean said.

Beth

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #19 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:01pm

In this cycle-  i have forgotten just about everything that kids have brought home that needed turned in ( money for activities, report cards signed, sign up for snacks etc), I forget to return calls at work- I had to have my secretary cut off voice mail for me so that i could only get handwritten messages ( i'd forget to check voicemail) - I also have been losing notes that i write myself to remember!!!  Shocked

.... and probably the ultimate horror-  twice i realized that i wore the same outfit to work in the same week!

But..... as much shame as i am causing  , i am glad i am pain free
Smiley
kelly

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #20 - May 28th, 2008 at 3:32pm

RE: Topamax -- try taking the whole dose at night before bedtime. I've been doing that since 99 and don't experience the side effects that most of you do. My neuro has started prescribing it that way because of no side effects for me. I've been up to 400mg at times with no side effects (well, except a little short term memory loss and I blamed that on age - heck I've never had a great memory even when I was young). But I never had the dopey stuff and all that.

And I do detailed work (am an accountant) and have to have a little "thinking" power. Never had a problem with it. It's been my miracle drug.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #21 - May 28th, 2008 at 3:52pm

Quote:

I'm on this bandwagon too. Forgetful, can't get my words out, stuttering, dialling a number on the phone and forgetting who I was calling, cooking ribs in the oven for 16 hours on Sunday Embarrassed (I just forgot completely that I was even cooking them!!). Like you Jeannie, out of cycle, I'm not like that at all, but in it I'm useless.

My colleagues have made a special post-it block for me - lots of small pieces of paper holepunched and tied on a string. They make me wear it round my neck and write stuff down!! Whatever works though, right?

Em

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #22 - May 28th, 2008 at 6:03pm

Can CH Cause Brain Damage? No proof it does, but it turns me dumber than a box of rocks during a high cycle. I recover, but never quite to the level I was before all this started. YMMV

Bill

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!