Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Parenting a teenager (Read 10334 times)
Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Parenting a teenager
May 27th, 2008 at 10:24am

SUCKS!!!!!

I want my vision of my sweet little girl to remain unchanged forever.  

I know, I know, quite ignorant of me. Roll Eyes

lol

Dammit! Angry Tongue

*sigh*

Ree!  Help!  Grin
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2008 at 10:25am by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Parenting a teenager
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:32am

They can be vile creatures, no?

You were one once. So was I. We have one living under our roof right now.

All I can offer is, try to remember what it was like. How the world made little sense. Try to find that common ground and go from there.

And if that doesn't work, beat the hell out of her. Wink

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:34am

Oh Melissa........... I am right there with you.  I have a fifteen year old son.  Smiley      I miss him too.  Hang in there!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:37am

I have two of them, but I'm fortunate.  I really have nothing I can bitch about. 

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:40am

Oh man, it hurts so bad!  Now I know what my mother meant when she said "just wait till YOU have kids!".  I had no idea just how much I put her through until now. Sad

Brew, you're right.  I've been trying to think back to when I was that age, where it felt like the whole world was on your shoulders, where each day was so stressful and confusing and how you just wanted to run away from it all.  I'm trying to be understanding, but it's hard when you have to discipline at the same time.  Not only that, because Jesse works so much it all falls on me!  Trying to defer that some before I have a nervous breakdown.  Roll Eyes

Jeannie, how bout we hold on tight together and ride this out as long as we can! Smiley

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:41am

Redd wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 10:37am:
I have two of them, but I'm fortunate.  I really have nothing I can bitch about.  

You're very lucky...

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:42am

There aren't words for the heartbreak.. day by day Melly, it's all we can try!

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:47am

Quote:
...day by day Melly, it's all we can try!

Sometimes it's hour by hour - even minute by minute.

And sometimes you just have to let them run around with their proverbial shoelaces untied. You can talk until you're blue in the face, but they won't learn to tie their shoes until they trip and fall on their face.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:54am

I think that remembering how hard being a teen was makes it harder to parent.  I know what I should do in response to some of the things that go on in our house.  It just breaks my heart to see my kids unhappy.  That old saying " This hurts me more than it hurts you " is sooooo true! 

Jeannie

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:54am

I truly understand Mel.  My baby turned 15 yesterday!!  They grow up so fast and so often have to learn everything the hard way (cause they know everything!) 

Beth

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:58am

........................ and parents know NOTHING!

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #11 - May 27th, 2008 at 10:59am

I remember the hell I put my Mother through in those years.  I wouldn't want to go through that.  

I will keep you and Lilly in my thoughts though.  Maybe the good energy will help.  Even if just a little.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2008 at 11:00am by Redd »  

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:06am

Maybe this will help, maybe it won't. The lyrics to one of my favorite songs, Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Obviously, change the gender where appropriate:

Mama told me when I was young, Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say. And if you do this It will help you some sunny day.

Take your time, Don't live too fast, Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find a woman and you'll find love, And don't forget son, There is someone up above.

And be a simple kind of man. Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man. Won't you do this for me son, If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold, All that you need is in your soul.
And you can do this if you try. All that I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.

Boy, don't you worry... you'll find yourself. Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try. All I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #13 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:08am

At 13, my kids were sullen, spacy bundles of attitude.  At 18. they knew everything about life and the world and.well, everything..........now, at 32/30, I am amazed how much they admit they don't know!
We got thru the teen years pretty much unscathed.They kept their grades and their sports up........
It's much nicer now, however, since they learned Mom and Dad are NOT so out of touch and backward!

Melly, and all the rest...........you WILL survive-and they will come back to you with questions and issues, and you will AMAZE them with your insight!

Cathi, a survivor

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #14 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:09am

Thanks Redd!

Lily is torn right now.  She doesn't understand what's going on, why she is so scatterbrained, CRS & spacey.  She also is experincing lovely teenage hormones which have already gotten her in trouble at school...twice.  Jess and I have been picked to go meet with them on Thursday.  We are so lucky! Tongue  

Anyhoo, I did take the initiative to get her some help.  She's seeing a psychologist and really likes her.  I did request ADD testing, just to rule it out, and they obliged (please, no judging).  We get the results of that next week when she has her session.  I'm sure it's a mess of things, but I figured this would be a good thing to do now, before it keeps getting worse.  She'll be in 8th grade next year and have many of the same teachers as this year.  Oh she is SO lucky! Roll Eyes  Poor kid...

I wish my mom was here.  Heck, I wish Jesse's mom was here too!  I feel like I'm flying blind through this. Cry
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2008 at 11:12am by Melissa »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #15 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:10am

Egad.   Tongue

That being said, EJ and I have been pretty lucky, despite our share of drama.  Some are easier than others.

Hang in there.  They become more recognizably human as they approach 18.

All the best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:11am

I always tell people that when I was 18 and out on my own, my old man was completely and utterly f*cked up in the head.

By the time I had turned 21 and was married, it was amazing what he had learned in 3 short years.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #17 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:19am

Cathi- I wish Lily was keeping her grades up, but they've been going down.  If she were just concentrating and remembering to hand in her work, she gets A's!  Very puzzling to me...

George- I'm hanging in with all I got!

Brew- so, was it you or your dad?  Guess I'm not quite getting it?  sorry Embarrassed

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:35am

It was a play on words, Mel. I was 18, my dad was f*cked up. When I turned 21, it was amazing what HE had learned in 3 years, when in actuality, I was the one who had learned so much. All the things he said now made so much more sense. In reality, it wasn't him who had learned anything at all - it was me.

Sorry about that - when you tell it verbally, the inflection makes it much more understandable.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #19 - May 27th, 2008 at 11:41am

K Brew, thanks for clarifying.  I thought that was what you meant, but I have NO idea what your relationship was with your Dad, so I didn't wanna make an assumption. Smiley

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #20 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:02pm

Melissa wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 11:09am:
I feel like I'm flying blind through this. Cry

Me, too, melly. And I've done this before, LOL. Teens are tough, teen girls are even tougher.
You're doing all the right things, so try to take it all with some levity. Remember, no matter what she says, she loves you.

It seems like mooshie and I don't get along at all. Unless we're watching Home and Garden TV (she loves it, LOL) or shopping. So I use those moments to say what I think she needs to hear, and to joke around and keep some kind of bond between us.

Hang in there, mama ...by the time Ava is 12, you'll be an expert.  Smiley

hugs and love, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #21 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:05pm

nani wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 12:02pm:
It seems like mooshie and I don't get along at all. Unless we're watching Home and Garden TV (she loves it, LOL) or shopping. So I use those moments to say what I think she needs to hear, and to joke around and keep some kind of bond between us.

Oh boy do I recognise this bit!!! It's almost comforting to know I'm not alone but I'm so sorry for everyone else too!

This is gonna end up another sort of H A site isn't it?

Hormones Anonymous!!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus

Ain't I a stinkah!!

Warr Acres, Oklahoma
Reply #22 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:10pm

Check your PM   Wink

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” By Maya Angelou

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #23 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:11pm

nani wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 12:02pm:
So I use those moments to say what I think she needs to hear...

Bingo! There is a great deal of psychological basis for this, and it's right on. Think of how a hypnotist works - they get you to a place where your mind is most open to suggestion, then they plant their seeds.

Works the same way with the conscious mind - once you both are experiencing something that you enjoy (well, even if you don't enjoy it, you can pretend - hey, who's the adult here?), you can plant those seeds of wisdom. You may not see immediate results, but you can know that the seeds are germinating.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #24 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Hopefully the values that you taught them at an early age is only just below the surface and not forgotten. This is a very tough time for girls about to or just starting their teenage years. Mine got thru it and hopefully yours will too.
     I look at pictures of our son Brad and daughter Kim when they were around 7-8 years old and it is a dying moment for me because I miss those 2 7-8 year olds. They are adults and great parents of their own, but I sometimes want them back as I see them in the picture.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!