Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grey hairs from headaches? (Read 10974 times)
clusterhead49
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Grey hairs from headaches?
May 27th, 2008 at 12:18pm

Hi I am new to the site and am in the middle of my first ever cluster. It has been going on for about 5 or 6 weeks and is really getting me down.  I was just wondering if anyone has noticed correlation between headaches and grey hairs?  I am 23 and have found my first two this week! Arghhh!

This isn't hereditory as my mum didn't start greying until she was 40 and my father is 60 and has few grey hairs.  I have heard it can be caused by stress, and wanted to know if anyone could tell me if my headaches coud be a factor?

Cheers,  Annie.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Re: Grey hairs from headaches?
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:27pm

Hi Annie! Welcome. I'm so sorry that you have ch, but this is the best site for us clusterheads. Smiley

Now, to your question. I'm 28 and I've had ch since 2001. I haven't found any grey hairs yet, but I tend to dye my hair red once a year, so hard to tell! BUT I swear that I've got the wrinkles under my left eye thanks to ch (99.99% of my hits are on the left side)...

Lots of pain-free days your way,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:32pm

Hi Annie,

This is an interesting question.  I started greying about the time of my first attacks at age 35.  I'm mostly grey now at 48.  But both my parents greyed prematurely too so I'm sure I got the grey gene from them.

What are you doing to battle the attacks?

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2008 at 12:38pm

I greyed at almost the exact stage 2 of my oldr brothers did, and neither of those lucky dogs got the CH black marble!! Although if they are causing you undo stress, we need to talk! Wink

CH sucks, but I find i do my best when I don't let it dictate how much stress is in my life. Let us know what your current battle plan is, maybe we can tweak it a little, give you more of a feeling of control. A cycle starting up is no longer the horrible spectre for me it used to be. I check that my oxygen and imitrex supplies are suficient, get going on my prevent meds, and get ready to kick demon ass!

All that being said, I HATED the grey hair when it came Grin

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2008 at 1:39pm

Well, let's see -- I'm OLD... so... For years and years I frosted my hair but one day I noticed it didn't need frosting any more so I just started saving the frosting money and let it go to the "natural" frosting... been that way ever since...  Smiley

Seriously -- never bothered me one way or the other - Gray is distinguished - right? Right!  If you don't like gray they make products to hide it - I always liked it myself - gives the old hair some body.

As to the wrinkles (laugh lines thank you very much), I read years ago that Preparation H was good for them, so when I start noticing that I've been laughing too much I just drag out the Prep H and use it for night cream until they disappear -- works pretty good... (don't knock it till you try it kids).

Insofar as CH causing gray - that's one theory I don't think I've heard - but I was getting gray hairs by the time I was 20 and that was before the CH hit.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Hi Annie,

It is probably a coincidence.  Do you have dark hair?  A lot of people I have known with dark hair will sometimes get some greys in their early 20's--you might just keep those few greys for the next 10 years and not get too many more.  if they bother you you can pull them out with tweezers or have your hairdresser touch them up.  I hope your head starts feeling better!  Don't stress about the greys OK!

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:25pm

No grey hairs from CH.  But I think I have them from an 8 yr old!!  Nothing that my stylist can't handle though.

IP Logged

ninja mom
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:51pm

CH is responsible for my right side Horner's Syndrome. Its also responsible for my dazzling personality puncuated by daily bouts of irritation, anger at the pain and inability to sit still for long.  Sooo, CH may be responsible for those lighter colored hairs.   Or, it could be that at 51 with three children I deserve some lighter hair.  Cheesy

However, I have noticed since I went chronic that I can't part my hair on the left side anymore.   Huh Huh

PFDAN and long live L'Oreal
kathy

Words count, chose carefully.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008 at 7:23pm

Hi Annie
I thought it was only me & my weirdness; I’m chronic & every time I go into a high cycle my hair goes greyer than it normally is but my beard never changes its been white for about the last 20 years, the strange thing is that about 7-10 days after a cycle the hair colour is back to the normal mousy/red/grey mix that it had been prior.

They say a change is as good as a holiday but I think I’d take the holiday thanks. Wink
Cheers
Barry who’s growing old disgracefully

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2008 at 9:06pm

Hmm... and I was blaming my husband....
(sorry Doyle)

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #10 - May 28th, 2008 at 7:51pm

Hello, im 40 years old and greying by the day!! but my brother by 2 years senior is grey headed!! But im ok with it at least it's still there!! i hope you feel better soon. Coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2008 at 1:08am

Following one of my earlier and worst attacks, I awoke the next morning with a patch of grey directly over the area above my temple, on the side of the attack. It grew out again during my remission but then ended up greying much younger than anyone in my immediate family.

Then.....it fell out. What can I say.....wish it was grey, and there.  Sad

Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #12 - May 29th, 2008 at 7:49am

Pinkfloyd wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 1:08am:
Then.....it fell out. What can I say.....wish it was grey, and there.  Sad

Bobw

Oh Bob  My Dad always said that God only made a few perfect heads - the rest he covered with hair -- guess that's what happened to you.  Wink

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #13 - May 29th, 2008 at 9:40pm

BarbaraD wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 7:49am:
Oh Bob  My Dad always said that God only made a few perfect heads - the rest he covered with hair -- guess that's what happened to you.  Wink

Hugs BD

Well that was very nice of you Barb, thank you.
I think I'll go polish my dome.  Smiley

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #14 - May 29th, 2008 at 9:53pm

My hair started turning white in my teens.  I think it was related to genetics and a vitamin B deficiency.  During my 1st pregnancy, some white hairs turned back to dark brown, and after the pregnancy turned white again - but only during the 1st one.

Charlotte

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:49pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................i have really short hair, and i color it every 5-6 wks, so dont know.................starting gettin grey in my 40"s, way b4 Ch, only this yr @ 50..................i do have the droopyleft eye,from CH ( and i am a righty) as well as some NEW LINES ON THE SIDES OF MY CHIN........hmmm.the many prednisone tapers or possibly the elavil .......i am attempting to go off ONCE AGAIN................to c if my cycle done.............................only 1 night will tell........................kinda try not to focus on that stuff....................figure it just "comes with the territory of getting older"............................................i try not to "read into this thing too much or i will go PSYCHO"!!!!!!

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!