Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bugger the price of oil, what about bread? (Read 3424 times)
mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Bugger the price of oil, what about bread?
May 27th, 2008 at 1:56pm

I have just returned from the supermarket, one pack of 4 grainary rolls £2.27 ($4.50).   Poxy normal size ones, that would go in a small childs lunch box. Our cheapest sliced white loaf is £1.45  call it obscene, I moaned all the way around the ailses,  Pasta used to be 30-40p a bag now it is over a pound,  What is happening to this is way above cost of living pay rises.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Re: Bugger the price of oil, what about bread?
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:03pm

I agree it's way above the annual raise.  Would be bad enough, and made worse by the fact the corporation I work for gave diddly squat this year. 0%

At least I still have a job.  We'll see what next month brings.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Tanya I know exactly what you mean - food has gone through the roof - it's actually scary. And you know as well as I do that even if oil goes down - bread and pasta won't. One more excuse after another. No one is losing except those at the bottom of the supply chain, namely, the consumer.
  Undecided

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:34pm

I raise the wheat that makes your bread and pasta.  My fuel,seed and fertilizer prices are through the roof.  Just wait they ain't done with us yet.

Potter

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:37pm

I think I picked a good time to go grain free...

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:47pm

It is the cost of everything that has gone up.  Getting another price increase on equipment July 1st, last month it was an increase in pvc prices.  We are paying our suppliers way more than what we used to charge our customers for parts and equipment.  If I want a quote on copper, the price I get quoted is good until the end of the day.  An average installation has almost doubled in cost in just the past few years.

It's only gonna get worse folks.............

Beth

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Wish the idiots would stop putting corn in the gasoline.  That'd help alot of the food problem.  Of course, gas would go up even further, but if it was a choice, I'd rather pay more for gas than food.

We grow as much as possible tho and buy the beef & pork from family members who butcher (farms).

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008 at 3:03pm

The price of gasoline wouldn't go up without ethanol.  The only reason you see is lower at the pump is tax incentives.  It costs more to make than the gas itself.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008 at 3:09pm

I too went to the store today and about died at the prices of food. The basic stapels in ones diet bread, milk, rice, meet, etc has all gone through the roof.  I really feel bad for the people in third world countries.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Karla wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 3:09pm:
I really feel bad for the people in third world countries.

You could even start feeling really bad for the people in first world countries - yourself and your neighbors. Wink

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2008 at 3:59pm

Karla wrote on May 27th, 2008 at 3:09pm:
 I really feel bad for the people in third world countries.

When I go to the grocery store and have to pay the prices there I have a little trouble feeling sorry for these third world countries that we're shipping our "surplus" goods to.

My mama always said, "Chairty begins at HOME!" Maybe she should have said it to OUR government!

We're eating less bread and growing more veggies. Meat is optional.... I'm actually spending less at the grocery store than I did a year ago in protest. And I think we're eating a little better.( You'd be surprised how many things you can do with a pot of pinto beans).  Of course we still sneak out for a Big Mac occasionally (old habits are hard to kick).

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #11 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:03am

We're all in the same leaky boat. I go to a store here that sells milk for $1.99 a gallon as a loss-leader. It works as it's the only thing really cheap in the place. A old man in line had 8 gallons in his cart. Turns out he takes orders from the people in his building

He probably has to drive a SUV to haul the stuff around. Have a yard sale and chow down kids.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!