Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Breakthrough headaches - advice for a newbie (Read 3949 times)
RugbyHead
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Auckland, New Zealand
Breakthrough headaches - advice for a newbie
May 28th, 2008 at 6:50am

I am new to this site - and can't tell you what a comfort it is to know that this exists and that I am not alone.

Your advice and compassion to others is a real life saver. I can't thank you enough.

I was wondering if you could help me with a question.
For four weeks, I've been on lithium 400mg am and 600mg pm along with 200mg of Verapamil 3x a day. I finally managed to get off prednisone 4 weeks ago (after being on it for 5 months Cry) - what a relief I don't eat like a labrador anymore and my face is less resembling the michelan man by the day Cheesy

At the start of the lithium treatment, there was a 2 day period where I used 15 Imitex injections and the CH's were getting closer together, until they were only two hours apart.
I worked out that I must have been suffering rebound headaches from the Imitrex so I used O2 to break the rebound.
I felt great for 4 weeks (PF) I'd even managed to have a couple of nights where I could have a few drinks with absolutely no sign of the beast. (I thought I was out of the woods!)

Last Friday, I had a glass of wine at lunchtime and I had an attack and had to use Imitrex for the first time in 4 weeks. I was gutted.
On Sunday, I had a beer - by the time I finished I had another CH and needed another injection.

Monday, didn't drink - no CH. Tuesday - had 1 glass of wine - needed another injection. Wednesday - no alcohol and had a CH.

Is this type of breakthrough normal when on the lithium/verapamil combo?

"Go the AB's"

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: Breakthrough headaches - advice for a newbie
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008 at 7:54am

Most don't drink when in cycle -- it's not worth the pain of the CH. I'm chronic and when in high cycle I won't go near alcohol. That seems to be a universal trigger for most CHers.

For some reason Red Wine triggers while white wine doesn't (might wanna lay off the red).

Glad the lithium and verap are working. If I were you I'd lay off the booze for a few weeks just to be sure. - Then do it in moderation.

BTW - Have you tried the O2 -- It's the #1 choice around here.

wishing you PFDAN.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

KaiB
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Enid|USA||0|0|OK,Oklahoma
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2008 at 9:11am

mmmmm beer!  I have found that I must avoid all alcohol for quite a long time after a cycle.  Its a bitch, but I would suggest that you forget about any drink until you are pain and shadow free for at least a month. 

Everybody is different, but this seems to be the commom advice (to
which I did not listen once, and paid dearly)

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008 at 9:59am

Alcohol makes the beast stronger!   Don't feed him!

When in cycle, alcohol makes my HA more painful and more frequent.   I stay away from it till I have been shadow and eye twitch free for at least two weeks. (sometimes longer depending on what my cycle was like)  I LOVE red wine but don't drink it all that much even when not in cycle because of fear of the beast.

For me, once in a cycle, the beast doesn't leave till he is finished with me.    I don't think anything I have done makes the cycle shorter.  But I  know for sure that alcohol makes a bad thing worse.

Hope you are pain free soon.   Take care!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:37am

I shouldn't drink while I'm in cycle, but I'm only in cycle every 15-18 months.  But I can have one drink and get hit almost instantly.  Red wine is probably the worse thing, because of the sulfites in it. If you insist on drinking red wine (and when it comes to wine I only want red) - you should actually spend a little more money.  In better wines the sulfites break down easier and usually won't cause such problems - unless you are in cycle.  Then there is that great chance that alcohol is going to trigger them.  I'm out of cycle now and can drink 'shine if I want to.

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:43am

i am also a newbie, been in cycle since jan 30........didnt touch alcohol for about 3 mths, barely had a sip and WHAM!!  and yes, red wine seemed to be worse.............(no meds during that time) been taking only Elavil @ night, and am fine with alcohol.however still in cycle, for when i attempt to stop elavil, the beast starts crawling back!!! didnt take last night and shadowing bad.............so like day 116 for me, still gna take the elavil @ night, seems to be keeping the beast @ bay & i can have my wine..................long time for a cycle, but i am dealing and living life to the fullest and trying not to think about!.....absolutely lay off the alcohol for a bit! you will feel better!
deb

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

RugbyHead
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2008 at 12:29pm

Thank you all for the advice. Looks like it's no alcohol for me until this cycles over Cry Until then, I'll stockpile all the good NZ chardonnay.

It's been going since January, so hopefully it will be over soon.

On another note, do you know of anyone using Champix to give up smoking while in a cycle - and if this has caused any problems?

"Go the AB's"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!