Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Constipated, anybody? (Read 5424 times)
scubaguy
CH.com Newbie

Oberrieden, Switzerland
Constipated, anybody?
May 30th, 2008 at 1:15pm

Has anybody experienced constipation while a CH cycle is going on? It might be the daily stress at home and the office causing this, but the more I think of it, the relative constipation (not to the point of agony ... apart from the CH attacks) has been going on about as long as my current CH cycle ...

... has anybody experience this? I'm on Isoptin (240mg a day) and O2, but the constipation has been going on longer than I've been taking them, so they can't be the cause.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Roger

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Constipated, anybody?
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2008 at 1:30pm

Your med can be adding to the problem but not a real issue. I love dried fruit as a snack food and it takes very little of it to keep everything comfortable and working.

I don't think it's related to CH although one may wonder if stress if a factor ????

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2008 at 1:46pm

During a cycle, I don't eat well or get much exercise. Not much sleep either.  That on top of stress can really do a number on a digestive tract!   Fiber One cereal helps.  The Honey Cluster kind tastes pretty good.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2008 at 1:46pm

The meds may not be the original cause, but they may exacerbate it.

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2008 at 4:41pm

I agree with what everybody has said.  Meds could be contributing, lifestyle changes made during cycle, stress, etc.

Another remedy that seems to be pretty effective is trying Miralax - that is over the counter now, and it's a powder that completely dissolves in your drink - whatever you want to put it in.

Hope this helps!
Carrie

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2008 at 8:48am

If it is severe, tell your Doc and get some chemical drain cleaner.

I voiced this same concern re verapamil to Dr Robinson at the Vancouver OUCH convention.  He just looked at me and said, we can take of that.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2008 at 9:01am

You might want to consider adding a magnesium supplement to your diet. I started a vitamin B-2 and magnesium supplement regimen,  year round, many years ago, at the suggestion of my neuro. I'm convinced it's reduced the number of hits for me. A side benefit to the magnesium is it....umm...loosens you up a bit! Wink Might be worth looking into

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #7 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:15pm

Constipation is a documented possible side effect of isoptin/verapamil. Calcium and Magnesium activity is needed for the smooth muscle in the gut to go through the normal contraction/relaxation cycles that move food.  Fiber alone might not fix this problem, though it is great for ordinary constipation and worth a try.  Magnesium might help, and you might need to use a stool softener or gentle laxative.  Also, drinking more water is generally good for constipation.

Quote:
The major side effects of verapamil include constipation (also slows down the muscles surrounding your intestines), decrease in blood pressure (the vessels in the rest of your body also relax), as well as a slight decrease in heart rate (the most important muscle of all).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2008 at 7:18pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 9:21am

When verapamil was a fairly new drug for me this side effect was more pronounced as it went through my system.  Being episodic back then, it was a strong adjustment for the system on an intermittant basis.  But through the years and good variety in diet on a steady dose, can stay good and regular up to 480mg now.  your milage may vary.

IP Logged

Magicman516
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 6:43pm

I found this forum by searching for cluster headache and constipation.  I've been episodic for 6 years.  Each cycle is now getting longer apart (thank goodness).  For me I get constipated prior to taking medication with CH.  When I'm on medication I use a colon cleanser called oxypowder to get myself going when I can't go for a day.  But every cycle is proceeded by constipation issues before medication.

I hate verapamil for that one reason once I start taking it.  I'd love to find a way to break the cycles without prednisone or verapamil.  I've even resorted to using cayenne pepper extract in a saline nasal spray.  It does seem to help some.  I just started that in the current cycle I'm in.  Right now it's not the mind blowing pain yet.  Just the beginning of a cycle.  I went two years being told it's a sinus headache.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 7:31pm

Magic man,

D3,D3,D3.

Read about it on the Treatments and Medications section, under the thread: 123 days pain free.....

It has helped a lot of us, episodic and chronic. The programme contains Magnesium, which will help with constipation.

Read all you can. Ask questions. If you decide to try it, you will need to take the daily D3 and ALL the cofactors year in year out, whether in episode or not.

We're here to answer questions and to help you find your way on this journey.

Mind yourself,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!