Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MRI (Read 1460 times)
TeeJay
CH.com Newbie

x0|westview|USA||0|0|KY,Kentucky
MRI
Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:41pm

Ok I had my  MRI today wasnt bad at all.  I go back to the Dr in about 2 weeks.  What should I ask him about when he tells me about the MRI.  Really dont understand what they were looking for this time.  Guess there is a difference between MRI and cats scan  but the cat scan was normal.  Can someone tell me what the difference is and any advise on what to ask at next visit.  No headache for two weeks now. wishing all PF days.

TeeJay

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re:  MRI
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:55pm

I believe they are simply trying to rule out anything more nefarious, a la Ted Kennedy. It's standard operating procedure.

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Re:  MRI
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:33pm

TeeJay wrote on Jun 2nd, 2008 at 10:41pm:
Guess there is a difference between MRI and cats scan  but the cat scan was normal.  Can someone tell me what the difference is

Maybe I am wrong, but from what I've learnt, MRI is muuuch (don't remember exact number) more accurate. Example? I had a CT scan - it didn't find anything (in one part of head it was made each 5mm, in other, more important, each 2,5mm). Two months later I had a MRI scan and it found a very small (6x3mm) pituitary adenoma. That's first thing.

Another thing CT uses X-radiation. Of course it's still safe (people can get pretty much radiation each year) but MRI uses an electromagnetic radiation and it shouldn't have ANY side effects (only contrast). You know, whole body can be scanned many times in a row without any problems.

But of course there are some cases where CT is better or MRI even can't be used. For example if patient have some "metal parts" in his/her body (dunno how to call them, implants?). Also - my brother has a spinal disease (discopathy). Neurosurgeon wanted to use both techniques, to have a better view Smiley

That's all Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!