Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chiropractor? (Read 2648 times)
LostAgain
CH.com Junior

No excuses...

Buffalo Grove, IL USA
Chiropractor?
Jun 3rd, 2008 at 12:32am

Anybody ever try going to a chiropractor?

Did it help??

LostBoarder36  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Chiropractor?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:28am

It won't stop the CH, but probably won't hurt anything either. I know I've done a lot of secondary damage to myself tightening up my neck, shoulder and back when I'm really getting slammed!! There have been one or two who have posted that it "cured" their CH, a claim most on the board are a little skeptical about. Until they get good enough to "tweak" the hypothalamus I don't think it'll prove much of a treatment for CH.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:36am

Chiro's are good at loosening tight muscles by adjusting your back/ neck. It does help me kill a migraine sometimes that goes on for days, due to neck problems. But it doesn't do anything for CH. And my chiro told me it wouldn't. He's honest about what he can and can't do to help me.

Some will tell you they can stop CH, or even cure it. Not possible. Like Guiseppi said, they can't do anything with the hypothalamus, which is our problem. They may help with things that could aggravate your CH, like treating neck problems, shoulder and back, also as Guiseppi said, but unfortunately not stop them.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

LostAgain
CH.com Junior

No excuses...

Buffalo Grove, IL USA
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:20am

Thanks for the quick info, I appreciate it.

Goodnight and pf time to all.

LostBoarder36  
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 5:22pm

I spent hundreds of dollars on chiro treatments when I first got CH. I tried it because I found a chiro who swore he had cured 2 people with CH. This was before I found this board.

It was a big waste of time and money and more often than not left me with a sore neck.

Later I read an article in some health magazine that suggested that you should rarely if ever let a chiro adjust your neck because neck adjustments are strongly associated with strokes, even in the young. Neck adjustments break tiny capilaries in your neck that lead to blood clots breaking lose and traveling to your brain.  Shortly after that I read something that said that CH sufferers are at a higher risk for stroke anyway.  I haven't been back to a chiro since. 

As an aside, Chiros are VERY good with sore backs, hips, and sprained ankles. I once had a doctor tell me my sprain was so bad it would have been much better if I had broken my ankle, it would take months to heal.  Once the swelling went down I had a chiro adjust my ankle 3 days in a row and it seemed to be cured after that.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:36pm

Tried it. Didn't work.

Scott

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:21am

It won't help the CH; however, it might help the damned neck and shoulder pain ya get.  I worked for one for years and it did nothing for my CH.  As a matter of fact, he admitted he couldn't do anything for it.

IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 7:49am

I agree with Paige,  I see a chiro and have been for sometime.  It helps with my neck and shoulder pain but does nothing for my Clusters.  Although, I avoid him when I'm in a bad bout because one time I was suffering pretty bad, got adjusted and the beast released a can of Whoop-A$$ on me (one I will never forget)!  I dont know if it was related or provoked by the adjustment but I'm not willing to take that chance agian!

Dave.

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 6:16am

I'm a card-carrying skeptic, and have read many medical studies on the efficacy of chiropractic.

The overall medical research seems to say that chiropractic can help for uncomplicated lower-back pain, but not much else.

I also tried chiropractic twice, and went through their entire recommended course of treatment, which did nothing for me.  Most articles say that neck adjustments are the only thing that can hurt, as posted previously.

For neck and shoulder pain, the stretches that a physical therapist taught me to do have gotten rid of that.  If your CH causes neck and shoulder pain, go to a PT and learn those exercises.  They defintely help.  Theragesic (or Ben Gay or whatever) 15 minutes before a shower can really help, too.

I also tried massage every week for many months, but surprisingly this didn't help with the neck and shoulder pain.

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 6:07am

A friend of mine, who is a Chiro, told me that it won't work for CH. I figure he knows what he can and can't do.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!