Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Could it really be ... ? (Read 6237 times)
scubaguy
CH.com Newbie

Oberrieden, Switzerland
Could it really be ... ?
Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:59am

I hesitate to admit it, but I've been (almost) PF for four days now! Apart from afternoon & evening shadows I haven't had a full-blown attack and haven't needed to get on the O2! So why am I not thrilled beyond belief?!

I'm on Isoptin 80mg (Verapamil, 3x a day) and have cut out alcohol completely as it really sets me off when I'm in a cycle. So, given that I've been PF for these past few days, I'm wondering whether my cycle might really have come (or be coming) to an end ... or whether the Isoptin is simply preventing the attacks from breaking out.

I guess my real question here is: can the Verapamil really prevent CH attacks altogether or does it usually just lessen their intensity? Naturally, I could reduce the Isoptin and see what happens, but if I really don't want to expose myself to new attacks if I can help it.

Any experiences out there are appreciated! Thanks!

Roger

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Could it really be ... ?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:23am

Based on the experience of others here (not me, since I'm a reliable episodic and don't use preventives) you might want to give it a couple weeks before you talk to your doctor about tapering off.  Just to be on the safe side, you know.

Stuff does no major harm, from what I understand.  So no harm done.

Best wishes,

George
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:25am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:23am

I can only tell you how lithium works for me. It doesn't stop the cycle for me, only blocks the headaches. When I've gone pain free for a whole month, I'll start to wean off the lithium, when I hit 600 mg a day I'll know if my cycle is over or not. If I get no head aches, cycle's done, I finish weaning off the lithium. If headaches start breaking through, I ramp back up to 1200 mg and wait another month.

I suspect you'll find similar results with verapamil. Work with your doctor when your going up or down on the dosing as they like to monitor that part. Hoping the block works for the whole cycle!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

LostAgain
CH.com Junior

No excuses...

Buffalo Grove, IL USA
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:34am

I can't take my Verapamil (I'm actually on Calan 320 mg per day, which is the non-genaric I think) normally because I don't have any endurance on it, but I was able to take it the past couple weeks and it completely blocked the headaches even with alcohol. I just stopped again because training continues on Wed. and they came back today, so I am still in cycle, but the Verapamil was working great.

So it obviously can block out the headaches completely, but I have experienced CHs in the past even though I was on the meds.

I say wait a little longer and then talk to your doc and see what happens.

Goodluck and pf time for you,
Lost

LostBoarder36  
IP Logged

Qazpur
CH.com Junior

Amsterdam
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 4:06am

i'm on 480mg verap and have twice this cycle experienced a week or two PF (even had alcohol without problem) only to be pounced upon again once I taper off the meds. it can be very tricky deciding whether the verapamil has the beast vanquished or just subdued...

may your cycles be short and your pain-free days long...

IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:29am

for me verapamil eased the beginning of period last time.
i think.

this time the first attacks weren't that bad so i didn't start the pills and
surprise, the same thing happened.
this time it's been tolerable.
constant shadowing but only about 10 major attacks in a month.
smaller ones plenty (pain level 6 or 7 sometimes 3xday).
personally i don't believe in verapamil.

don't believe in alcohol theory either.
binge drinkin maybe, but i don't do it so i don't know.
i drink like 3 pints of beer a day.
the pain starts whenever it wants, with or without beer.

m

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:32am by habanero »  

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:42am

I started taking Verapamil 360mg at the start of spring ( when my cycles usually begin).  Last year was the worst cycle I have EVER had.  This year since starting the med BEFORE my cycle even started, I have only had strong shadows.  Coffee and energy drinks have been able to knock them out. Even those are gone now.  I  have not used even one imitrex this season!  That being said, I have tried twice to wean off of the Verap.............. shadows start right up again. 

So there's my take on the Verapamil............ I can't say I believed in it much last year.  But this year I think that it has done wonders!  Oh.... I can even have a few drinks now!  I even had a glass of red wine the other day!

Jeannie/ Boo  ( for Brew who makes my original user name sound cute not whiny)

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:48am

habanero wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:29am:
personally i don't believe in verapamil.

don't believe in alcohol theory either.
binge drinkin maybe, but i don't do it so i don't know.
i drink like 3 pints of beer a day.
the pain starts whenever it wants, with or without beer.

you don't have to believe. verap works for lots of folks and brings a lot of people their lives back from the jaws of the beast.

as for believing in the alcohol theory....you might not right now. I've had cycles where going into a pub, and the beer musty smell triggered a headache. Other cycles when I could drink a half a bottle of Cabernet and never get a twitch. It ain't no theory when you're kicking yourself in the ass for being such a stubborn f&#$% and not believing in theories.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:42am

hi scott
you got your head, i got mine.
maybe i'm just a lucky #&%?.

my attacks don't come triggered.
they just come.
ofcoz if you're shadowing and decide to smoke a cigar and drink cabernet you might start a serious one, but then again
it might come without it

you can't call verapamil a wonderdrug just coz you got PF time
with it.
neurologists over the world prescribe it coz studies show it has worked for some.
be happy man.

m
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:42am by habanero »  

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:01pm

This is the first cycle I've used Verapamil properly and effectively.  It blocked 90% of my attacks and I'm very thankful for it.  I had to use the regular release formulation and worked my way up to 400mg a day using 40mg pills 120/120/160.

I'm sure it wasn't just a light cycle because if I missed so much as one dose I'd get nailed within 24 hours.  There were still lots of shadows to chase off with O2 but that was minor.  This was very successful for me.

I did have to back off on the energy drinks because of heart palpatations I got after drinking two in 24 hours.  That was a bit of a scare.

I'm tapering off now after a few weeks PF and successful alchol testing  Wink

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:23pm

habanero wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:42am:
hi scott
you got your head, i got mine.
maybe i'm just a lucky #&%?.

my attacks don't come triggered.
they just come.
ofcoz if you're shadowing and decide to smoke a cigar and drink cabernet you might start a serious one, but then again
it might come without it

you can't call verapamil a wonderdrug just coz you got PF time
with it.
neurologists over the world prescribe it coz studies show it has worked for some.
be happy man.

m

If it changes anyone's life, it's a wonder drug for that person. Everyone picks their magic bullets and their poisons. One person's poison, is another's life changing elixir. You don't have to use any of it, or believe in any of it, but for those that do and get their life back, either through use of an effective treatment for them, or by avoiding something that consistently triggers a really bad experience for them, I say belief is in the eye that you get a cluster headache behind.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

scubaguy
CH.com Newbie

Oberrieden, Switzerland
Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:25pm

Congrats, Dennis! May the PF period last!!

This is my fourth PF day and I've left the O2 bottle unused, even with shadows, which seem to be getting better today, too. Am ever hopeful! Only the 240mg Isoptin (80/80/80, Verapamil) is currently with me, but I'll discuss this with my MD on Thursday.

As for the alcohol test, I have an event to go to tomorrow evening (one, which I'm hosting!), so I'll try alcohol-free beer for that ... mind you, apart from missing the occasional bottle of wine with dinner, staying off the sauce has helped reduce my waistline  Wink

I've also been taking a few Aspirin before going to bed ... probably in a vain attempt to reduce the chance of the CHs breaking out. Will likely try without tonight.

Here's to the hope of a long PF period!

Roger

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:35pm

When in cycle I can't touch near-beer either.  There is alchol in that stuff too.  Though not as much.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:49pm

so no point arguing if we both agree scott.

just tryin to share oppinions.

peace

m

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:18pm

Hey Roger, be careful man.  There are some strong warnings against the use of asprin with Verapamil.   Wishing you many PF days...

Thomas

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:42pm

Verap has prevented cycles before, but the past 2 times it didn't work.  Just depends...

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 4:53pm

Verapamil, in a high enough dose, dampens down the attacks strongly or suppresses them completely. Im my current cycle (started 1999-02-01) I didn't have an attack above a Kip 3.

Aspirin is utterly useless against CH.

Quote:
Hey Roger, be careful man.  There are some strong warnings against the use of asprin with Verapamil. ...
Now, Icedragon, that is completely new for me Roll Eyes. Could you give us a reference about that?
At least Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register quotes:
No interactions were found for the drugs you selected. (Aspirin and Verapamil)

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 5:45pm

I first read about avoiding the use of aspirin with verapamil in my copy of the "Nurse's Drug Guide" printed by Prentice Hall.  When looking up "verapamil," it states under "patient and family education;" "Do not use OTC drugs, especially aspirin, unless they are specifically prescribed by physician."  Being I could not find a reference on-line from this specific book, I found this site to cross reference it with.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It states under drug interactions: "Aspirin and concurrent verapamil use may increase bleeding times; monitor closely, especially if on other antiplatelet agents or anticoagulants."

IP Logged

Mattcentralnewyork
CH.com Newbie

Keep fighting.  You're
not alone!

Syracuse, NY
Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 11:54pm

For what it's worth, beer has been a major trigger for me in the past and everything I've read seems to reiterate that.  As far as the Verapamil is concerned, if there is any possibility it's helping me, I'm going to stay with my Neuro's recommendation.

Good luck to all,

Matt

mjsabre0325  
IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:34pm

I had great results with Verap for  4 years at 480 mg/day. Then other medical issues required that I stop taking Verap. And I had to change to Topomax and O2.
I'd switch back to Verapamil in a heart beat if I could.

Smiley

kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

scott t
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 4:12am

I took 120 MG Verapamil a year ago...it worked. I then foolishly stopped thinking the CH were gone...They are back and now since March I am suffering two to three attacks a day. I think the verap takes awhile to "kick in"...I hope. Nothing else works!
I hope it works for someone...anyone!

IP Logged

geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 10:55pm

Since Verapamil relaxes (widens) blood vessels,how does this fix a ch which is a widening of the blood vessels?

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #22 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 12:27am

my understanding is that verapamil affects the electrical conduction aspect, somehow.

I wondered the same thing myself.

Charlotte

IP Logged

Chris Matthews
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 7:43pm

Verapamil has worked really well for me in the past. I stopped it mid-way in a cycle and suffered my worst CH ever. I've used oxygen recently but the Verap was a really good preventative - and huge relief.

Alcohol will trigger an attack, particularly red wine.

Chris , London, 36

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!