Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greeting from Maalstroom to all my clusterkinsmen. (Read 4270 times)
maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Greeting from Maalstroom to all my clusterkinsmen.
Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:45am

Hi y'all, I'm Maalstroom, a 33 year old clusterheaded male from the Netherlands, who is currently in cycle again for a little less than a month now. Haven't been in this hell since late 2005 and had almost forgotten the Beast.
I've been diagnosed with CH when I was 17 or 18 by a very alert doctor, so I've been spared the hell of not knowing what I had, as I read in several posts here, and very grateful for it.
For now I'll keep it short, but ask me anything if you like, and hope to become a proud member of this family  Wink!

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Re: Greeting from Maalstroom to all my clusterkinsmen.
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:06am

Welcome Maalstroom!
Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.
What meds are you currently using?

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 10:20am

Welcome to the family, Maalstroom! Smiley

I'm sorry that you have ch, but this the place to be when you do. I hope that the beast will leave you alone soon!

Wishing you PF days,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 10:38am

Welcome Maalstroom!  Sorry you have to be here but please know that you are among friends.  The people here are amazing.  You'll find that out soon!

PF wishes!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 10:14pm

maalstroom wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:45am:
hope to become a proud member of this family  Wink!

You already are.  I just took you 26 years to figure it out Wink

Welcome home my clusterbrother...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:25pm

When you get a chance, give us a run down of your regimen, what does and doesn't work etc. The combined knowledge is what makes this place what it is. Welcome home brother!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 12:00am

maalstroom wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:45am:
Hi y'all, I'm Maalstroom, a 33 year old clusterheaded male from the Netherlands, Wink!

Quick, get a supply of those paddos from the smartshops before they shut things down!!!  Smiley

Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 8:14am

OMG everyone, thanx so much for this warm welcome, didn't expect that... For now I am using Imitrex (called Imigran in the NL), but I have an appointment with the neurologist first thing tomorrow, coz this is my worst cycle since a decade orso. Sure, they're all horrible, but this one is particularly nasty... guess you guys and dolls know which ones I mean.
In the past I had Sandomigran/Pizotifeen (no idea what it's called in English) as a preventative, but it did nothing for me. Only the Imitrex seems to work, but can't take it for every hit.... so I'll be pressing for Oxygen. I'll keep y'all posted about tomorrow! Thanx again for you kind hearts!

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 11:19am

As promised, I'd come back today to tell about my appointment with the neurologist this morning.
Well, he was amazed that I endured them all this time with only Imitrex, and said no one deserves to live in this kinda pain... he's right about that. Anyway, monday I'll be starting on Verapamil, first week 2 a day,building up from there. He also subscribed me oxygen as a first choice of abortive, which will be delivered at home. Probably monday also.
Furthermore I got 10 more injectables, which is always great  Grin!
As being a virgin on the oxygen and verapamil roadshow, anyone having any suggestions, things to keep in mind? All wll be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 11:57am

Be sure to give the Verapamil a fair chance...........It takes time to build up in your system.  It might also make you feel very lethargic..it gets better though!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:40pm

Go here and read everything!  This'll get you on the road to effective use of O2.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 2:09am

Jean, I will,  and Dennis, thanx for that link - all very usefull. Really glad I found this site with all the wonderful folks on it. CH.com rocks.
Seems like our affliction is kinda rare... I don't know anyone personal who suffers from it too, which is a lonely feeling. Just for that this site helps me, and for numeral other reasons as well.
I read that in the Netherlands, a densely populated but small country (I guess it's about the size of Maine) with a little less than 17 million inhabitants, there are only 6000 to 7000 ch sufferers. No wonder you never meet any others.
Have been reading alot here those last few days, and have learnt so much. I remember when first diagnosed in the nineties going to the library, to look up some info on CH, and finding almost nothing. Sure, there's tons of books on migraine and tension headaches, but our little friend is pretty much ignored (at least here, dunno about the US).
Anyway, this site has shown me how less I know, except for my own experiences, though I have tried to educate me before. There was just nothing. Untill now!  Cheesy

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:00am

Started yesterday with the Verapamil, twice a day 120 mgs, and next monday I'll have to start with 4 tablets, which will count up to 480 mgs daily. Is that an amount that'll work for most, as I've seen posts of people taking 600 a day.
Still no oxygen delivered, hope to hear something today.

Woke up in the early hours with a mild attack, so I took an Imitrex tablet.... boy was I wrong! Some 10 or 15 minutes after I took the pill, my hit worsened to a 9, and by that time it was to late to take an injectable. Does that ever happen to you, that a hit will fool you into thinking it won't get past a 7? Now I can laugh about it, but this one had me close to tears earlier on!

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:28am

maalstroom wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:00am:
Started yesterday with the Verapamil, twice a day 120 mgs, and next monday I'll have to start with 4 tablets, which will count up to 480 mgs daily. Is that an amount that'll work for most, as I've seen posts of people taking 600 a day. -
if you can space them during the day, I've found my 80mg direct release four times a day works very well, so your 120 mg 4 times a day might work better than 240 twice a day.

Still no oxygen delivered, hope to hear something today.  -
When you follow up, ask the Dr for the higher flow.  My doc prescribed a lower flow so I have a concentrator that goes to 10, and it works especially since the meds have most hits down to 2 to 7 level, but it takes a full 20 minutes where I've heard a higher flow can abort in much less time.

Woke up in the early hours with a mild attack, so I took an Imitrex tablet.... boy was I wrong! Some 10 or 15 minutes after I took the pill, my hit worsened to a 9, and by that time it was to late to take an injectable. Does that ever happen to you, that a hit will fool you into thinking it won't get past a 7? Now I can laugh about it, but this one had me close to tears earlier on!
- sorry, bud, yes I misjudge too and then just have to ride it out.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:38am by Charlotte »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!