Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HONEY, WE'RE HOME!!!! (Read 2945 times)
artonio7
Ex Member

HONEY, WE'RE HOME!!!!
Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:00pm

For the last couple months, with the arrival of spring I've noticed no honey bees, and it saddened me. I've been hearing the occasional news stories about the blight that is affecting the honey bee population in North America. The hives are disappearing at an alarming rate, threatening to impact our food supply.

Two days ago I was bitching to Ben about not seeing any honey bees this year.... not even one. Life and summer is just not the same without honey bees... I know, that may seem to sound odd but it's one of the tiny pieces of summer that I have come to appreciate from since the time I was a child.

The prospect of not having honey bees was like confronting my impending hair loss during my late twenties.

Well imagine my joy this morning when I went to have my coffee on the breezeway and noticed a huge swarm in the maple tree just 10 feet from where I was sitting.... Sometimes Life just can't get any better.

I'll try to take photos of the progress of the hive in the weeks to come... here's the first.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: HONEY, WE'RE HOME!!!!
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:05pm

Thanks for sharing this bit of spring Tony.  Just don't get stung  Smiley

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:27pm

Maybe you should buy a hive Tony - I'll buy your honey!

IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:30pm

Quote:

Awww... Helen my sweets... that is such a kind gesture... But BEN AIN'T FOR SALE!!!

modified to add: I might consider renting him out though... he makes a mean cheesecake.

with warm regards,
Tony
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:42pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:46pm

Tony, while I understand what you're saying regarding missing the bees and all...please have some fast-acting antihistamine close at hand.  If they decide they don't like you as much as you like them...it could get nasty. 

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Well Tony it's like this - unless you can put Ben in a jar and spread him on toast THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEANT!!!! LOL

Ben, I just hope you read this and see what Tony's really like.  Roll Eyes You just come and stay with me where you'll be appreciated properly (bring your cheesecake recipes!)  Wink

Helen

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 2:41pm

Quote:

Dont kiss your honey
when your nose is runny.
You might think it's funny,
But it's snot.

Kiss

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 2:53pm

....and a late entry for the poetry competion called Honey by BMonnee - Aussie Bri say's he'll keep it in the dunny  Wink

IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 3:59pm

BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote on Jun 6th, 2008 at 2:41pm:
Quote:

Dont kiss your honey
when your nose is runny.
You might think it's funny,
But it's snot.

Kiss

Cheesy  lol

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 6:48pm

Dear Tony,
come to Portland...........the fields adjacent to the freeway, headed to the coast are LOADED with bee boxes....if I saw a swarm like yours in close proximity, however, I would run like the wind!

And, speaking of running, Brian$$$.......if you whispered that poem into my ear.........I would ALSO run like the wind...........at least you get warning with the bees- I never heard any buzzing before that poem made me run!!!! LOL!!!

You guys are the BEST!!!

Cathi Kiss

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 10:58pm

I was absolutely thrilled to see some honeybees around my flowering crab trees this year!  Gives me hope!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 11:14pm

That is so cool Tony!!

I haven't seen any honeybee's around at all this year.   Sad

Beth

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 11:23pm

That's a cool thing to see, Tony.

A link with a bit of information about swarming in honeybees:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's an interesting phenomenon.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 1:04pm

Yesterday afternoon the swarm moved on... I hope it's somewhere nearby. It was an amazing sight to see and it brought me great joy knowing our little friends are still around.

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 4:16pm

How would you feel if these "little friends" made a hive under the clap boards one foot from your front door?

Lets up the stakes, lets make them hornets......you feeling like you have "little friends" now?

Mowing the front lawn is out of the question, the mailman wont deliver.......are we still "friends"?

I made every effort to kill those fuckers and they beat me back, if they show up this year im paying the pros to kill them!

Have a nice day.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2008 at 4:19pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!