Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CH - REM Sleep - Dreams (Read 9481 times)
Annette
Ex Member

CH - REM Sleep - Dreams
Jun 8th, 2008 at 7:52am

I am reading and looking up on the relationship between CH, REM sleep and dreams relating to REM and I have found quite a few interesting facts. I am still trying to gather more information and putting them all together and I will post what I find here a bit later.

However, I would like to ask the good people of the Board please about your dreams, and whether they change during the cycle. 95% of dreams occuring in REM and CH tends to happen in REM. Do you know that REM occur during waking hours too ? Yes they do.

During REM sleep, quite a few vascular and neurological events occur which enable dreams. When these events go wrong, the ability to dream is affected. These same abnormalities can also trigger CH. Therefore by noting the frequency of dreams, the quality of the dreams and any changes to the dreams in CH cycle ... one get an indication of how abnormal REMs are which will show how Ch is affected.

I hope to get as many answers as possible and will post the results with my other findings here later. It will make very interesting read indeed.

So please if you can, answer these questions below :

1- Do you normally dream ?
2- Do you dream more or less or not at all during cycle?
3- Do you get more or less vivid dreams during cycle ?
4- If you are chronic, have your dreams changed ?
5- Do you dream more or less when you go out of cycle ?
6- Do you ever sleep walk during cycle ?

Thank you very much everyone  Smiley

Annette

IP Logged

catgold
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: CH - REM Sleep - Dreams
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 9:17am

Annette, Sorry, I never remember dreaming. I never have and that hasn't changed since my two years of ch. Thanks for your research. Cathy

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 9:24am

it is funny you ask because i cant remember dreams in cycle, but i dream often when not in cycle. funny huh. coach bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

gore2424
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 9:27am

1-yes I do dream and have all my life
2-about the same when wasnt hurting
3-dreams have always been mild intill.....
4-chronic and they are vivid,wild,& insane
5-see 2
6- I have been sleeping waking or walking a lot for the past 2 years but then again I am on some pretty heavy meds too
Terry

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 4:48pm

Here you go:

Yes

The same in or out of cycle

Not that I've noticed

I'm episodic

The same

No

Good luck with the data Annette.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

dougW
CH.com Veteran

pain is inevitable.  
suffering is optional

Canada  'eh.
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 6:13pm

1- Do you normally dream ?  -  infrequently, maybe a couple of times a month
2- Do you dream more or less or not at all during cycle?  - none during a cycle
3- Do you get more or less vivid dreams during cycle ?  -  no dreams in cycle
4- If you are chronic, have your dreams changed ?  -  episodic and quite happy about that, as opposed to chronic
5- Do you dream more or less when you go out of cycle ? - back to normal after a cycle, sometimes out but never in cycle
6- Do you ever sleep walk during cycle ? - no, never in or out of cycle

hope this helps.
Doug

PS:  when I was using the nicotine patches to quit smoking, (left them on all night to avid the morning craving), I had the most wild and vivid dreams every night.
disrupted my sleep, that's while I quit the patches and went back to smoking.    Yea, that's my story. Wink

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness.  I'll meet you there.   (Rumi)
IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 7:13pm

Thank you to everyone who has answered, please keep the answers coming  Smiley

So far, what has been posted here seems to agree with what I have observed in my husband and in a few CHers I have talked to.

1- CHers may not dream at all and have been so all of their lives ( which is unusual )
2- CHers tend to dream less during cycles.
3- The characteristics of the dream change during cycle compared to when out of cycle.
4- CHers may sleep walk during cycle.

Which are all indication of abnormality in REM.

Please keep the answers coming, if you dont want to post it publically you can PM or email me.

Thank you very much.

Annette

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 7:33pm

Quote:
1- Do you normally dream ?   Yes
2- Do you dream more or less or not at all during cycle?  Same
3- Do you get more or less vivid dreams during cycle ?  Same
4- If you are chronic, have your dreams changed ?  No, always frequent & vivid
5- Do you dream more or less when you go out of cycle ? Same
6- Do you ever sleep walk during cycle ?  Have always sleep walked

I am one who has REM mode while awake. I may not count in your poll as I have additional types of headaches that may contribute to that.

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 7:45pm

Annette, Peter May did a fascinationg series of articles on this very subject. They're in the OUCH newsletters, starting in 2006, I think.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 10:23pm

1- Do you normally dream ? -
Yes, all the time

2- Do you dream more or less or not at all during cycle? -
N/A chronic, but same if we're talking cycles within chronicity - my dreams are always pretty constant

3- Do you get more or less vivid dreams during cycle ? -
N/A chronic, dreams seem unchanged throughout times when i have more or less CH's or cycling within chronic

4- If you are chronic, have your dreams changed ? -
No, always been frequent and vivid

N/A, chronic

Never have, with or without CH

Have fun!
Carrie Smiley

P.S. I also have different headache types as well, so may not be a true litmus of just having CH alone.

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:24pm

Often.

I almost never dream when I'm in cycle.

I dream less vividly, if at all.

N/A

Much more.

To my knowledge, I've never sleepwalked at all.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:25pm by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:24pm

yes

yes i dream while in cycle

seemed more vivid but thought it was due to meds- had more nightmares while in cycle especially while taking indomethicin

n/a

same

no and only did one time as a kid when i had a virus of some sort
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 11:26pm by mezza »  

IP Logged

johnp
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 4:40am

i wake up with nightmares, and a bad headache, there vary vivid , when i have my headache, but i can't remember them after i get some more sleep

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:29am

This is interesting.....

Everyone dreams, but I very seldom remember dreaming (unless I have a lot of B6 in me). Never have and I'm chronic and nothing has changed. And never have sleep walked.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:46am

1- Do you normally dream ?  Yes
2- Do you dream more or less or not at all during cycle? Less
3- Do you get more or less vivid dreams during cycle ? I don't think I actually dream during a cycle, because I just don't let myself go to sleep.
4- If you are chronic, have your dreams changed ? n/a
5- Do you dream more or less when you go out of cycle ?  For the first few weeks out of cycle, it seems like I dream more and they are more vivid.  But I'm not positive.  Maybe it is because I have missed so much sleep.
6- Do you ever sleep walk during cycle ? Nope

IP Logged

Qazpur
CH.com Junior

Amsterdam
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:49am

yes

same

same

n/a

same

no

Very interesting topic, Annette. Though I wonder if the inability to recall dreams necessarily implies an inability to dream. On top of that, an imbalance in chemicals involved in memory creation (such as seratonin and i believe noradrenaline) during a CH cycle may also be a factor.

Something else that may be pertinent to your questionnaire is whether the headaches occur during sleep. This past cycle I've only been hit during waking hours - having my headache worries only during daytime may also have accounted for my undisturbed sleep and dream patterns.

may your cycles be short and your pain-free days long...

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:05am

Qazpur wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:49am:
Very interesting topic, Annette. Though I wonder if the inability to recall dreams necessarily implies an inability to dream. On top of that, an imbalance in chemicals involved in memory creation (such as seratonin and i believe noradrenaline) during a CH cycle may also be a factor.

There is a difference between the inability to recall dreams and to be able to dreams.
Even if you cant recall the dreams, in general people are aware whether or not they dream or have had dreams in the past. My husband and 2 other CHers I talked to have NEVER recalled having any dreams at all.

Yes, serotonin, DHEA and melatonin play a crucial role in whether or not we dream in our sleep and they also play a crucial role in those night hits in CHers. I will explain later.

Qazpur wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:49am:
Something else that may be pertinent to your questionnaire is whether the headaches occur during sleep. This past cycle I've only been hit during waking hours - having my headache worries only during daytime may also have accounted for my undisturbed sleep and dream patterns.

It is well known at CH hits occur mostly at nights during those REM and I will explain why. Day hits can happen during the awake REMs too. The disturbed sleep you experience may be more linked to the disturbed REMs than you think.

IP Logged

Qazpur
CH.com Junior

Amsterdam
Reply #17 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 12:28pm

Quote:
There is a difference between the inability to recall dreams and to be able to dreams.
Even if you cant recall the dreams, in general people are aware whether or not they dream or have had dreams in the past. My husband and 2 other CHers I talked to have NEVER recalled having any dreams at all.

Yes, serotonin, DHEA and melatonin play a crucial role in whether or not we dream in our sleep and they also play a crucial role in those night hits in CHers. I will explain later.

Point taken. It would be interesting to know if these folks in fact do not experience any REM sleep - I also read somewhere that SSRIs can inhibit REM. From the responses thus far though it does not seem that the inability to dream is that prevalent among CH'ers.

Quote:
It is well known at CH hits occur mostly at nights during those REM and I will explain why. Day hits can happen during the awake REMs too. The disturbed sleep you experience may be more linked to the disturbed REMs than you think.

My point was rather that all my headaches during a four month cycle were daytime, and that I did not experience any sleep disturbance. Would this imply that only my daytime REM is out of whack?

may your cycles be short and your pain-free days long...

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:04pm

Qazpur wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 12:28pm:
Point taken. It would be interesting to know if these folks in fact do not experience any REM sleep - I also read somewhere that SSRIs can inhibit REM. From the responses thus far though it does not seem that the inability to dream is that prevalent among CH'ers.

No, the question seems to lie with any abnormality of REM which can affect dreams. Inability to dream, lower frequency of dreams, less vivid or more vivid dreams ... are all just different abnormalities, and all indicate underlying pathology in REMs.

I can say with certainty that my own husband gets much less REM sleep at night during a cycle compared to out of cycle. Yes I stayed up all night several nights to watch him and to make records.

Qazpur wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 12:28pm:
My point was rather that all my headaches during a four month cycle were daytime, and that I did not experience any sleep disturbance. Would this imply that only my daytime REM is out of whack?

Yes, that is possible. Daytime REM are different to night time REM. The activation of the autonomic nervous system is different and the levels of neurotransmitter are different too.

IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:11pm

Quote:
I am reading and looking up on the relationship between CH, REM sleep and dreams relating to REM and I have found quite a few interesting facts. I am still trying to gather more information and putting them all together and I will post what I find here a bit later.

However, I would like to ask the good people of the Board please about your dreams, and whether they change during the cycle. 95% of dreams occuring in REM and CH tends to happen in REM. Do you know that REM occur during waking hours too ? Yes they do.

During REM sleep, quite a few vascular and neurological events occur which enable dreams. When these events go wrong, the ability to dream is affected. These same abnormalities can also trigger CH. Therefore by noting the frequency of dreams, the quality of the dreams and any changes to the dreams in CH cycle ... one get an indication of how abnormal REMs are which will show how Ch is affected.

I hope to get as many answers as possible and will post the results with my other findings here later. It will make very interesting read indeed.

So please if you can, answer these questions below :

1- Do you normally dream ? yes
2- Do you dream more or less or not at all during cycle? same
3- Do you get more or less vivid dreams during cycle ? nightmares all the time, in or out
4- If you are chronic, have your dreams changed ? epi
5- Do you dream more or less when you go out of cycle ? same
6- Do you ever sleep walk during cycle ? never sleep walk

Thank you very much everyone  Smiley

Annette

edit to add:  oh yeah, I haven't had a night hit in nearly 12 years
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:13pm by Jennifer »  
WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:30pm

Annette,

I have always remembered my dreams every night way more than most people (according to what others have told me).  Basically every night I remember several dreams in detail.  I could have written several books about the dreams I have had (not that anyone would want to read them Smiley )  Point being I would say I dream excessively.
My Dream are normally quite vivid.  During cycle, here is the thing, I have said this on here before--yes I will be dreaming when the CH hits.  The catch is that I have noted that I will also be thinking (you know that internal train of thought we have while awake) yes, thinking about the dream while actively having the dream (THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO ME OUT OF CYCLE AND IS ABNORMAL) and then AT THAT point the pain hits.  To me, this is a symptom of confusion in sleep cycles.  The mind is arguing with itself saying I am dreaming.  The other part is saying, no I am awake and thinking.  But yet they are happening simultaneously.  I don't know if I am the only one who has observed this--if so it may be because I normally do remember dreams or whatnot.  I am sorry if this sounds confusing.  I think yes CH could very well be a kind of sleep disorder (I've said that on here before).  Good luck with your research!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:33pm by Layla328 »  

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:35pm

Layla328 wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:30pm:
Annette,

I have always remembered my dreams every night way more than most people (according to what others have told me).  Basically every night I remember several dreams in detail.  I could have written several books about the dreams I have had (not that anyone would want to read them Smiley )  Point being I would say I dream excessively.
My Dream are normally quite vivid.  During cycle, here is the thing, I have said this on here before--yes I will be dreaming when the CH hits.  The catch is that I have noted that I will also be thinking (you know that internal train of thought we have while awake) yes, thinking about the dream while actively having the dream (THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO ME OUT OF CYCLE AND IS ABNORMAL) and then AT THAT point the pain hits.  To me, this is a symptom of confusion in sleep cycles.  The mind is arguing with itself saying I am dreaming.  The other part is saying, no I am awake and thinking.  But yet they are happening simultaneously.  I don't know if I am the only one who has observed this--if so it may be because I normally do remember dreams or whatnot.  I am sorry if this sounds confusing.  I think yes CH could very well be a kind of sleep disorder (I've said that on here before).  Good luck with your research!!!

Holy cow!

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:03pm

Layla328 wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:30pm:
Annette,

I believe what you are describing is lucid dreaming, a real phenomenon that some people experience and its not at all abnormal.

Lucid dreaming is the ability to be awake and alert enough during a dream to become aware that one is dreaming. Its a normal natural phenomenon in some people. The fact that you do that in cycle and not out of cycle is further proof that some fairly profound changes occur in the persons REM while in cycle.

Google lucid dreaming and read up on it if you wish, and thanks for the contribution to the thread.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:24pm

I thought I might get a Holy Cow after that post!

Annette, I am going to google lucid dreaming.  My guess is you are absolutely right.  And when I begin that lucid dreaming it often triggers the CH pain.  Many times I remember this.  Other headaches have just come on while sleeping and I am not sure what was going on at the time of the onset.

Also many years ago I did sleep walk once and yes it was during a CH cycle that was 13 years ago it only happened once.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:28pm

I just googled it under Wikipedia--yep that kind of thing used to happen to me frequently.  Still does but not as frequently since I hit my 30's.  

Edited to say that one interesting thing they said on Wikipedia about lucid dreaming is a "battle between reason and emotion"--I could see how that could, potentially, at least, hypothetically, give a person a headache.  OK not I will shut my trap.  Interesting to hear what others will say.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:34pm by Layla328 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!