Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update on my Mom - out of surgery! (Read 2838 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Update on my Mom - out of surgery!
Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:18pm

So my mom had her surgery to remove the tumor last Friday, as most of you know.  Today she got great news - the tumor is benign!!

But then there's the downside.  Yesterday she had an area of her breast that got hard as a rock and very painful.  She went to the surgeon, who was very surprised  by the size of this area and tried to aspirate to see if there was infected or mucky fluid there, but nothing came back.  She told my mom to ice it and come back today to determine if she would have to do surgery to clean out the area.

So my mom iced it, and she went back to the surgeon this afternoon.  She got the good news that the tumor was benign, but then she got the bad news that she has to have surgery under general anesthesia on Friday to clean out the problem area and insert a drain, which will stay in place until Monday afternoon.

Obviously, we're psyched about the fact that she doesn't have cancer, but my mom is really bummed about having to have more surgery.  Additionally, her last surgery she just was given some light sedation, but local anesthesia, so she's worried about this one having to have general anesthesia, breathing tube, whole works.  I know she'll do just fine, but it really sucks that she has to have surgery again....

So - just askin to continue the prayers and vibes for a little bit longer...if y'all don't mind!  I would definitely appreciate it!!

Hugz,
Carrie
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:57pm by Lizzie2 »  

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Re: Update on my Mom
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:30pm

Im on it, Kid!!!!!  Kiss

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:31pm

Of course, Carrie.

Good news about the tumor--but sorry to hear about the additional surgery.

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:31pm

All we have Carrie for your mom.

Barry&Angie Smiley Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:07pm

Count me in too, Carrie.

Hugs
Carol

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:13pm

The highs and lows are awful, aren't they Carrie?

Your Mom will be included in my tirade of prayers tomorrow while Judy's in surgery.

Hang in there, girl.  Your Mom's leaning on you now.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:32pm

Hang in there and give your mom a hug for me. I lost mine to cancer 12 years ago. Glad to here the tumor was benign.

Positive healing vibes on there way.

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 11:22pm

Smiley   

Lots of vibes and the like from here too.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 2:07am

Thanks all!

It means an awful lot to me!!!

Between my mom and her surgeries and me and my recovery and "bumps" - we are quite the pair right now!! haha...

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 2:19am

Love and hugs from our family to yours carrie. Smiley

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 2:20am

I will keep your mum in my thoughts , you to whilst you both recover

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:06am

Carrie,
more prayers are on their way for you mom. I'm glad about the good news. Smiley

You and your mom have been on my mind a lot. I'm so glad that good news arrived - my family is still waiting. I found out on Sunday that my aunt is going through pretty much the same than your mom is, her surgery is soon (not sure about the day, though). In her case, though, it's not looking as sunny and bright... Sad  

Sanna
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:09am by sandie99 »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 7:38am

All my best for your Mom and for you, Carrie.

Mike

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:57am

All the best wishes and prayers going up for you and mom.  You both deserve a break!

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:25am

Prayers going up for your Mom!        I pray that this little bump in the road  passes quickly and she is healing soon!  So glad to hear that it was benign!

Hugs,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #15 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:51pm

Thanks again, everyone. Smiley

She has to be at the hospital at 8am tomorrow for a 10am surgery.  Unfortunately, I will not be there this time.  I had had to cancel a doctor's appt last Friday to take her to the 1st surgery (which I was very glad to do!!), but I moved the appt to tomorrow - and can't cancel again.  Last time, however, my dad was out of town getting my grandmother moved into assisted living (and it couldn't be rescheduled), and this time he will be taking her tomorrow.

After my appointment tomorrow, I am going to go out to my parents' house - I'll go to the hospital if she is still there, or else I'll see them at home.  My appt is also at 10, but in the city, so I'm not sure when I'll get out to the hometown - but probably she will still be in the hospital when I get there.

Anyway - thanks so much again for the vibes and prayers!  It means more than I can even say!

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:09am

Prayers and positive vibes are going up for your mom Carrie... let us know how surgery goes.

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:56pm

I just talked to my mom!  She's out of surgery, out of recovery, and back in the ambulatory care center.  She has a bad headache, but other than that, she's ok.  She also had a bad headache after the surgery last week, so something they give her for sedation must cause headaches in her.

The surgery went well, and they inserted a JP drain.  I asked my mom last night if that's what they were inserting, and she said that the doctor didn't tell her the name of it - only that it was about the size of a macaroni noodle.  I was a little perplexed wondering how this macaroni noodle sized drain was going to hold whatever it needed to drain out - or would it just be draining onto sterile gauze, or what?  Well...now we know it IS a JP drain - the part inserted into her is the size of the macaroni noodle, and then it's got the JP bulb attached to it.  So they told her how to empty it out and everything.  Skeeves her out!

But all should be well now - she'll be coming home in a little bit, and she wasn't sure what they were giving her for pain - I'm sure my dad will pick it up.  She'll be resting this weekend (this time, she has to! Last weekend, she didn't rest as much as I would have liked!), but she is planning on going to work Monday and then they'll take the drain out later that day.  And that should be it!

I'm about to leave the apartment to drive out there as I have some things I have to take care of, and I want to see how she is doing/spend time with her.

Thanks again for all the vibes and prayers!  I know they have helped, and it means a lot to me!!

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

IP Logged

Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus

"Too much of a good thing
can be wonderful!!

Houston, TX
Re: Update on my Mom - out of surgery!
Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 1:00pm

I am happy to hear you Mom got out well of her surgery. I will be praying for a full recovery!

Hugs

Rosy.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterFunny Love!!!!!!!!!
Rosybabe ttps://www.facebook.com/rossybabe?ref=tn_tnmn smurph  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!