Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Light, Melatonin, and Dementia (Read 1157 times)
monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Light, Melatonin, and Dementia
Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:12am

People with Alzheimers got 1 hour of bright light in the morning, or 5 mg melatonin at night, or both. The combination was clearly superior to either treatment in terms of restoring circadian rhythms and delaying the neurological disorder.

Melatonin helped with sleep patterns, but people on melatonin only were more withdrawn and their mood was not good.  Adding light to the melatonin improved mood.  Light alone reduced depression by 19% and cognitive decline by 5%.

Benefits from the melatonin/light combination seemed to be about the same as benefits from the prescription drug Aricept, which can cost $2,000-$4,000 per year. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:15am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: Light, Melatonin, and Dementia
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:08am

Thanks, I will pass this on to my Mother In Law who is suffering from Dementia.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:46am

monty wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:12am:
The combination was clearly superior to either treatment in terms of restoring circadian rhythms

Now there's the interesting part as it relates to our condition.  I've taken melatonin (9 mg) nightly during my last two cycles, and have been pleased by the results. 

May be worth adding an hour's bright light in the morning as well, just to see if it has a salient effect.  Certainly can't hurt, and at least you don't have to inhale, ingest, or inject it.

Thanks for the links.

Best,

George 

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:54am

Thanks, monty. I'm pretty sure this info will come in handy for me in the next few years.  Sad

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:06am

Thanks for posting this Monty! 

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!