Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex injection question (Read 2281 times)
joe_d1966
CH.com Newbie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Imitrex injection question
Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:37pm

I am just beginning a new cycle and I need to stretch my injections as far as I can. I am waiting for a referral to a Neurologist so I can get 02 prescribed. My regular MD says he can't do it.

I normally inject myself with the StatDose injector at the back of my upper arm because it's softer than going into my bicep. If I pull the vial from the statdose and start giving myself only 1/3rd or 1/2 of the dose with the Q-tip trick, I will need to use both hands and won't be able to inject myself in the same area. I have been reluctant to try other areas because that area of my arm has worked so well (headache gone in 2-3 minutes). So my question is, what injection sites work well for a convenient injection and fast absorbtion?

Thanks,
Joe
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:40pm by joe_d1966 »  

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Re: Imitrex injection question
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 4:31pm

you can still use the back of your arm...
you can hold the vile and push in the q-tip with one hand.

if you have trouble...lmk

IP Logged

joe_d1966
CH.com Newbie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 6:05pm

I'll try that once I get used to the "manual" injection.  Is there another spot that anyone likes where you can more easily control needle depth and gets absorbed quickly?

IP Logged

lashultz
CH.com Veteran

x0|Milton|USA||0|0|WI,Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Get a perscription for the imitrex vials, syringes, and draw your own. A lot of people can get two or three shots out of one 6mg vial.

Lee

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:58pm

lashultz wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 6:31pm:
Get a perscription for the imitrex vials, syringes, and draw your own. A lot of people can get two or three shots out of one 6mg vial.
Lee

OH YEAH, listen to Lee! Ask for insulin syringes (much thinner and shorter than a "regular"). I use BD ultrafine, 30 gauge, only 1/2" long, thin and hardly feel them going in, actually sometimes don't feel at all. Leg, arm, stomach all the same.

Perhaps an anomally but I was initially given a script for the stat dose. When I went to the pharmacy they gave me the vials. I (foolishly) questioned that. They told me, its all the same med and maybe you'll get more bang for your buck. Dang! I was surprised but not enough to forget to ask for syringes too. They didn't blink (WA state, your regs may vary).

For subsequent scripts I asked for "vial". Neuro had NO PROBLEM with that and I don't have to worry about a stickler for the "exact" script.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:11pm

i use stat dose and inject in the fatty part of thigh ( sort of upper side area) aborts in 5 minutes or less

haven't done the insulin needle and vials - maybe next cycle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!