Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need headache HELP (Read 3258 times)
Nan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Need headache HELP
Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:37pm

I don't know if I have cluster headaches. I have been reading as much as I can about all headaches and my headaches seem to have more similarities to cluster than anything else. If any one knows a good doctor in the san diego area that can help me diagnose, I would appreciate it. My doctor seems stumped.
I am 28 year old female.
My headaches started very dramatically 3 weeks ago. I was just sitting there and suddenly it hit. I felt like I was going to pass out, the pain jolted me to my feet there was a sharp pain in the middle of my forehead and intense pain across my forhead and temples. I could barely see strait. (I at first I thought my left eye was droopy, but  I dismissed it as me just squinting from the pain. I didn't know that was something to look for then).  For the next three days it almost never went away. There were periods where I wasn't in very much pain (like a 2 or a 3 on your kip scale) but for the most part I was in alot of pain. I tried to take advil, but that definately made it worse. Then I switched to Tylnol but that did nothing. Finaly my doctor saw me, gave me naproxin for the headache and vicoden for the pain. The naproxin made it worse. The vicoden didn't make the headaches go away but it did seem to help me feel a little better. (on my own I tried sinus medication just to see, that made it the worst)

The pain isn't consistant at all. Some times it is on my right side, some days on my left, some times in my temples, or the back or top of my head. But every day for the last 3 weeks I have had a severe headache. After the first week, I had a break, I was in bed crying from the pain, then all of a sudden I felt a tone of congestion just in my right nostril and it started running. (this is what made me think it was sinus, and prompted the sinus medication-bad idea). That was the fist time in a week where I felt a 0 on the kip scale.
My doctor sent me for an MRI this week, but doesn't return my phone calls on a regular bases. I think he is hoping that they go away on their own and I stop calling.

Other symptoms:
intense pain with in 5-10 minutes of having a few sips of beer.
Some mild numbness on face steming from the temples.
Buring sensation on one side of the head right or left, including  burring in the ear (but maybe for only 15 minutes at a time).
Restlesness
pain preventing sleep, only a few times waking me up in the middle of the night.
Oh I've been clentching my jaw but only for the last 4 days (since the MRI, I had a panic attach durring the scan)
Trouble concentraitng, and lost a little hand eye coordination with my right hand (right handed)

I have suffered from headaches all my life for the last 5 years I have suffered from bad tention headaches. I had mild migrains as a kid and teen none in 10years. I've also had a few sinus headaches here and there. All I can say is that the pain is different than any headache I have ever had.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Need headache HELP
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:42pm

I know a guy in your area, he'll know a doctor around. He is here on and off. Guiseppi is the moniker. PM him.
Look to the left, click on the cluster quiz and take it.
good luck
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:28am

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 8:22pm

Check your PMs

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:07pm

Hope your doing better
How did you do on the quiz? Smiley
thebb

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:03pm

BBz, I have a call in to our friendly Sarge to try to help this lady out as far as finding a Dr. in SD.

Hang in there Nan.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:08pm

I'd call the sarge but we would end up BSing half the day on the phone he'd miss the bank heist in progress call and blame me.
he...he...hee
thebb

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 12:24am

LMAO...bbz, you crack me up.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Nan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 11:35am

Thanks for all the advice, A couple of people in san diego have contacted me, about their doctors they are kaiser, which I don't have but i figure they can point me in the right place. I did hear from my doctor and I have some bad news, They did find s cyst on my MRI, however they think that it is so small and not swollen that it is not causing my headaches, so I still may be having  CHs as well. My doctor is sending me to the headache center in san diego, DR. Blumenfeld, Any body know of him?
Anyway i took the quiz, first half suggests that I don't -second half suggests I might.
Thanks again for all the help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!